Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sugar I know Tease Me by Chaka Demus and Pliers. It’s good that you can take yourself out of your comfort zone and try a challenging song.

Maman we only have a bath in our house. We have a shower extension, but it’s difficult to regulate the temperature. Most people I know have baths in their homes, rather than showers. MIL repacked her bath with a shower and then change it back a couple of years later.

Tigger I bought some black trousers from Sainsbury’s, which were cotton. Also try Uniqlo. I have th opposite problem to you in that I’m short, so the only problem I have with length, is getting stuff taken up.

We had a nice fun day yesterday. I got some cheap tickets to a beach fairground and I’ve been sitting on them for months. The tickets expire soon and we’ve been putting off using them. The weather wasn’t brilliant, but it did mean we got straight onto the rides.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Ladies,

Maman, one thing this thread has taught me is not to keep good quality body lotions, perfumes, toiletries for 'best'. I use my favourite perfume every day and any day that I want to pamper myself a bit more, I will use some of the matching products to give myself a bit of a boost. :)

The sad thing is that people are given top quality products to pamper themselves with as gifts and if they set them aside for 'best', they may leave the products so long, that they go 'off'. This is such a shame when a friend or female family member admits that this has happened, as it is such a waste of money. :(

Maman,
    keep creaming your feet every night, it will be worth the effort. :) As a Black woman, I have to cream my legs, feet, arms and hands every day. When it comes to my hands they are creamed many times a day, as I am always having to wash them often throughout each day.

My grandson paid a short visit to our home last night and we were all so pleased to see him. I read him the poem that I had wrote that was inspired by him and he loved the poem, it really made him laugh out loud. :D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Maman, one thing this thread has taught me is not to keep good quality body lotions, perfumes, toiletries for 'best'. I use my favourite perfume every day and any day that I want to pamper myself a bit more, I will use some of the matching products to give myself a bit of a boost. :)

I thought you'd say that sugar.:o

Although I don't belong to the using up toiletries thread I am trying hard to use all the bits and pieces I have and then just buy my favourites. That way everyday will be using my 'best' products. Unfortunately, without sounding ungrateful, I do sometimes get given stuff that I wouldn't have chosen for myself and the mse in me makes me use it up.

I have stuck to creaming my feet every day using up the fruity hand cream that I'm not over fond of. I'm loving the Clinique face wash that I bought although still using up a Superdrug one (not so foamy).

One of the things I've learned is that I was probably using more product than was needed before. I find if I rub my moisturiser , for example, between my palms to 'warm it up' then it goes much further. It's something I've watched beauticians doing. It does mean it takes much longer to use things up though!:D

Hair appointment for me this afternoon. I'm having highlights as well as a cut. I'm hoping to go to a talk on Turner this evening but my back is sore (worn disk that flares up occasionally) so I'm not sure about sitting still for a couple of hours. Hopefully I'll feel better by this evening.

Hope everyone is well. I think LL might be back from the cruise soon. I think it was a week.:)
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello fellow 'Fabbers' :hello:

Had a lovely day out yesterday - the weather here was glorious :) Started off in Weymouth - had a walk along the quay where the obligatory fish & chips were consumed ;), then went for a long walk along the beach & ended up at Ringstead Bay and watched the most beautiful sunset :D - it was the sort of day that makes you feel glad to be alive :T

Maman - I have started to use my good quality body lotions etc. for everyday use, otherwise as Sugar so rightly says, if you keep them for 'best' they end up going off before you are anywhere near finishing them :( Hope your back feels better soon and that your hair appointment goes well. My last one was a bit disappointing as my usual stylist was off work but they hadn't bothered telling me and I ended up with someone different - she cut it too short at the sides but left it too long on the top :mad:

Glad you had a nice 'me day' Chanie - we all need them occasionally :)

Had my usual bi-monthly facial last week which I thoroughly enjoy - it was so relaxing I almost nodded-off :eek:

Have noticed that my weight has started to creep up over the Summer - fish & chips yesterday won't help either :o - it is only a bit as I normally hover somewhere between 8st 6lb & 8st 12lb but when I weighed myself this morning I was 9st dead - must get a grip on it before it goes any further :shocked:
  • chanie
    sukeyboo wrote: »

Maman - I have started to use my good quality body lotions etc. for everyday use, otherwise as Sugar so rightly says, if you keep them for 'best' they end up going off before you are anywhere near finishing them :(

I agree, don’t save anything for best. I had a load of products that I ended up having to throw away as I saved them for best and they ended up going off. I then took the decision to use everything up. It took me about a year to get through all of the body wash and creams that I had. Another benefit was that it meant I didn’t have to buy anything for ages, so very MSE. Now, if I do get bought any toiletries, I removing the excess packaging and put in the toiletries box so when I’m running low, I’ll pick something out.

Sukey you Sunday sounds perfect. One of the downsides of living in a London is being 30+ miles from the coast.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 October 2017 at 9:47PM
    Maman if you are gifted products that you really feel you would prefer not to use up, then donate them to your local Charity shop. No waste involved and others benefit from your donation.

I know what products suit my skin and my body, so if I am given gifts of skincare items that I would not use in any capacity, then I donate them unopened to one of my local Charity shops.

I went to Karaoke last night and had a good evening, even though I was feeling quite exhausted. As there was only a few of us at Karaoke it ended an hour early at 11pm and I was thankful. :)

I wanted to go to the cinema this morning, but I was too tired after waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep until over an hour later. :o

I have had a restful morning at home instead.
  • chanie
    Exciting news!! I saw Pippa Middleton/Matthews/aunt to our future monarch today.

I was walking to work and she rode past me on her bike, but as we were at a junction, she had to wait for the traffic to clear before riding on, so I got a good few seconds look. Here is my analysis:

You can tell she has money, as although she wasn’t wearing anything to make herself standout, her clothes had that subtle expensiveness about, which I think comes from the small details like fitting well, good quality materials etc.

She wasn’t wearing a helmet (naughty Pippa) but not a hair was out of place.

Her make up was very natural, although she did look a bit orange, but that could have been a tan.

She was wearing a tan mac, black 7/8th trousers and leopard print slipper shoes. Shoes were in perfect condition.

Her bike was one of those old fashioned ones that women in villages in the 1950s would ride. My boss asked if it had a basket on the front, but I don’t think it did. It was all very hipster.

Don’t mean this nastily, but what stood out for me was that she has all the resources for fabbing:
    As she doesn’t yet have children or other dependents, she has the time to make herself look good in the mornings.
    Living in Central London means that she can have gentle bike rides and still arrive looking flawless.
    She probably doesn’t work full time and has a nice job isn’t too stressful.
  • Hello Ladies,

I had a terrible pain filled time of it, last night, so I only got just over 2 hours sleep. I still had to go to work today though. :(

As I only work term time, tomorrow is my last day at work for this half term. I will have 2 non-working weeks to get lots of rest and do the social events I enjoy. :j

I am going out for a night of dancing tomorrow night. I will have a quick bath and get dressed up and go and enjoy myself, even though I will no doubt be a bit tired. :D I am going to wear make up and layer my perfume, just to give my self esteem a boost. I am not happy having gained too much weight and even though I have begun to lose weight, I have a long way to go yet before I once again feel totally comfortable in my own skin.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hope you feel a tad better today Sugarbaby you must be looking forward to the next two weeks, enjoy!
    Ooh how exciting Chanie like you say sometimes you can tell when clothes are expensive etc.

Hello ladies,

Well today is fab Friday, not sure I would qualify in jeans and jumper but I need to go through the house this morning so comfort is required!
    Now that Lulu is finally starting to settle in hopefully I will start to get more of a routine going, with all appointments etc it's been a bit of fire fighting the last few weeks and feel that I have done of the minimum fabbing required to get through. I saw my eldest niece yesterday who has her own make-up/beauty business and have promised to come in for more regular treatments, even if it's just a facial once a month I feel my skin would benefit. She uses Eve Taylor products which she rates very highly so will let you know how I get on with them.
    My mental and physical health has certainly improved so happy with that!

Have a good Friday ladies, love to all x
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    LaineyT wrote: »
    My mental and physical health has certainly improved so happy with that!

Have a good Friday ladies, love to all x

That's great to hear Lainey. I'm sure that Lulu is at the root of it!:D Lucky you having a niece that can help with the fabbing. I have a niece who's a trained hairdresser and really envy my SIL having her hair professionally done at home. I have several Groupons for massages and facials to use. I must make an appointment.

I enjoyed reading the story of your 'encounter' with one of the 'Wisteria' sisters chanie. Like you I'd be fascinated to see one of them close to. In some ways she's the more fortunate of the two in that she can get out and about on her bike (apparently she's done some long distance events) and doesn't have to live in a goldfish bowl so much. I wonder how much they get themselves up and out in the morning. I've always imagined that they have stylists and hairdressers to hand.

You're doing well to keep soldiering on sugar. Hope you enjoy your dancing tonight and I look forward to hearing about your half term activities. I'm sure, knowing you, they'll be both exciting and mse.:)

I'm pleased with my hair this week. The highlights are bit more ash than blonde but that's maybe because I've got used to it being sun bleached. The style is much sharper: cut in at the back but chin length at the front.

I have to call into the salon today as I haven't paid yet! Their card machine 'wasn't working', I didn't have enough cash with me and there was nowhere nearby to get any. It's not a problem but I'm a bit suspicious of places that don't accept cards. To me it says 'business in trouble/cashflow problem' or worse still 'tax dodger'. Am I cynical?;)

It's dull her but dry and unseasonably warm (17 degrees already). I'll be doing smart casual (black jeans and a jacket) and I think I can still get away with ballet pumps. I still haven't worn tights yet. On the colder days I've worn socks but I'm dreading that 'incarcerated' feeling. :(

Have a good day all.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport