mybuilder.com - any good?

Saw the link to this site through the channel 4 website. Need a bathroom and showerroom refitted/modernised, in the S. London area.

Not too keen on ratedpeople due to the mixed reviews, but was wondering if anyone has used mybuilder.com?

Comments

• GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    try these for find a builder http://www.fmb.org.uk/
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Someone else on the site has recommended the site to me on this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2114805&highlight=mybuilder+com

I posted the job on there and have one reply. Although it was someone new to the site they had lots of reviews on another site, so I feel fairly safe with them.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used mybuilder to find builders for a small extension I had built earlier this year and it worked really well for me.
  • try www. myworkman.co.uk, the best so far, and unlike rated people, its simple and honest.. with rated tradesmen you get a flog of calls for a month non stop !
  • rosekitten
    rosekitten Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    niall24 wrote: »
    try these for find a builder http://www.fmb.org.uk/

I looked here for our builder,they did a good job
    decent quote and if anything rears its ugly head
    as they are working they are more than capeable
    of sorting it out on the spot,so no drama and the
    job went well,no horror building stories to tell later.
    Would definatly use them again and reccomend looking
    on there as the standard of work was excellent.

Also we were working to a very limited budget
    :j:j:j
  • usignuolo
    usignuolo Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    I used them to find a roofer and he was very good but I also know a very good builder in the SE London area who installed a new bathroom with shower for me last year and can highly recommend. Send me a pm for details.
  • sparky883
    sparky883 Posts: 309 Forumite
    As a tradesman i hate all of these sites and the so called customers who use them,We were a little quiet the other week so i credited our "My workman" account with £20-00 allowing us to quote on 5 jobs-Yes we do pay!!!! its £4 to get hold of your E-Mail or Phone number,Anyway out of these 5 jobs we E-Mailed all of them and had no replys (our ratings are good) also could only get hold of one by telephone-I think most of the "customers" are dreamers or just want advice or hope to pay little of next to nothing for the work. Why assume these sites provide good tradesmen when there are no checks and anybody can join.
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
  • mybuilder.com is very poor. It is expensive and a poor service. The industry is suffering enough with taxes and high fuel costs without some internet entrepreneur trying to rake in 5% of a mans bread and butter. These websites should be boycotted.
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was registered when it was free / low cost.

My hammer put the prices up and I left (still have work, not needing to pay for leads yet)

I have noticed less 'super' companies with less than glowing reputations getting 'rave' reviews on these sites.

Glad I am not associated with this site now
    baldly going on...
  • sparky883 wrote: »
    As a tradesman i hate all of these sites and the so called customers who use them,We were a little quiet the other week so i credited our "My workman" account with £20-00 allowing us to quote on 5 jobs-Yes we do pay!!!! its £4 to get hold of your E-Mail or Phone number,Anyway out of these 5 jobs we E-Mailed all of them and had no replys (our ratings are good) also could only get hold of one by telephone-I think most of the "customers" are dreamers or just want advice or hope to pay little of next to nothing for the work. Why assume these sites provide good tradesmen when there are no checks and anybody can join.

I agree these sites don't guarantee a good job done- yes you might see some customer reviews on there- but these are really easily manipulated by the tradesmen- if they have a mind to- so can really be taken with a pinch of salt. It is just a way for a company to buy leads-there are no checks done on the tradesmen. The best way always is to ask friends/family etc to recommend someone- another good way of checking a reputation is to try 'Trustmark' tradesmen- they are checked and have to prove a good code of practice- plus this is a Trading Standards recommended scheme which means although the tradesman has to pay for the vetting process there is no continual subscription to the 'Trade organisation'
    Always ask to see previous work/to speak to previous customers- if the tradesman can't oblige - run a mile!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure