What is the best currently available scary game?

With Halloween coming this is right on topic. I haven’t played a scary game for ages. What is the best to get out there? It just needs to be fun and not hard. Some games I am considering are resident evil 7, outlast and either evil within game. Are any of these worth getting? Or is there something that better fits my requirement.
Needs to be on PS3 or PS4.

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Resident Evil 7 is the first game that comes to mind as it goes back to what the series was originally great at which is just being downright scary. The controls can be a bit frustrating and some of it is reasonably challenging although I wouldn't say it's a hard game. It can be picked up fairly cheap these days as well.

I don't know if you've played Until Dawn? It's a bit more like an interactive scary movie almost rather than a game but it looks incredible and the game varies depending on the choices you make. You don't really fail at the game so if crucial characters die you still progress and later you can play the game again to try and save them. It's also been out a while and available reasonably cheap.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The worry with resident evil is if it still has the old mechanisms that don’t work now. I remember playing the demo for the fifth game and it still had the thing of combining items to fill your energy back up. The problem is that the game play has changed and I found myself getting attacked while trying to go through the combining of items. Is it spices, herbs that they are called? Can’t remember. I haven’t spent any proper time with a resident evil game since the second on the ps1. Also bosses, does it have hard bosses. I am not a fan of boss fights. I can tolerate them if they are easy enough.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Resident Evil 5 and 6 were both pretty bad games and 7 is a clean break from them, like the original games there is still an element of inventory management for healing items, weapons and to solve puzzles. There are a few boss fights which are the kind you need to learn the pattern and work out what to do which can be quite challenging.

There is a free demo of Resident Evil 7 on the PSN store you can try out, it's not part of the released game and instead is a sort of side story but it should give you a reasonable idea whether it's something you'd want to play further:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/resident-evil-7-teaser-demo-beginning-hour/cid=EP0102-CUSA04767_00-BH70000000DEMO01
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What games would you class as scary? Jump moments, atmosphere/tension build up or perhaps those that feel safer playing in a well lit room? :D
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • donnajunkie
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Resident Evil 5 and 6 were both pretty bad games and 7 is a clean break from them, like the original games there is still an element of inventory management for healing items, weapons and to solve puzzles. There are a few boss fights which are the kind you need to learn the pattern and work out what to do which can be quite challenging.

There is a free demo of Resident Evil 7 on the PSN store you can try out, it's not part of the released game and instead is a sort of side story but it should give you a reasonable idea whether it's something you'd want to play further:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/resident-evil-7-teaser-demo-beginning-hour/cid=EP0102-CUSA04767_00-BH70000000DEMO01

I don’t mind inventory management, far cry, tomb raider, last of us all have that and are great. The issue is if you are having to mess about while under attack and get killed coz it takes too long like it did in the fifth games demo.
  • donnajunkie
    What games would you class as scary? Jump moments, atmosphere/tension build up or perhaps those that feel safer playing in a well lit room? :D

So long as it’s a fun game and in that genre I would be happy so long as it’s not too hard.
  • I'm a 'bit' of a gamer and have played WAY to many hours since i've been ill the last few years... but for me, without question definitive horror game/s are...

*Drum roll*

Silent Hill 1,2 and somewhat 3.
    They have aged so damn well and The thing I love about Silent hill 2 (Non HD remake) is it still looks like a modern game due to the love that was put into the art work and textures. The story is AMAZING, the amount of thought that's been put into each enemy and NPC is out standing.
    It may be somewhat hard to get nowadays but if you have a PS2, pick it up!!!

While Res 7 is great fun it focuses WAY too much on jump scares and not atmosphere. Jump scares are great but that 'scare' doesn't stay with you when you put the controller down at night. For me, that's what makes an amazing horror game.
  • ifstar
    ifstar Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Outlast 1 & 2 - really freaky
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business