Neighbour using my garden as storage

Options

Comments

• Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of suggestions for you on this thread, Harry. Let us know how you get on.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Sounds like fly tipping to me.

I agree it is fly-tipping - There is no agreement in place so it is no different from me rocking up with a couple of bin bags and chucking them in your garden every week.
    As already suggested, the council is the next port of call.

I am sure you already know who your council is but if you use this link below and put in your postcode it tells you who the council is but the next button takes you directly to their web site at the 'report fly tipping' section so you don;t have to seek it out yourself.

https://www.gov.uk/report-flytipping

Hope this helps and your inconsiderate neighbours stop doing this - your council will soon sort them out if you report this each week.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think it's a council issue if the fly tipping is on private land.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »

The way to get a definitive answer on this is for the OP to contact the council.

In view of the problems the OP has been having with this neighbour it is worth exploring all possible options.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    The way to get a definitive answer on this is for the OP to contact the council.

In view of the problems the OP has been having with this neighbour it is worth exploring all possible options.

If I was the OP I would be looking very carefully where the rubbish lands.

Depending on where/how they are throwing it, it is not easy to throw rubbish accurately some of it may well be landing in the OPs garden but is it possible that some could also be landing on council owned land.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 April 2017 at 1:27PM
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    It's a criminal offence, so the police ought to be interested.

Repeated offences are punishable by ASBO, in addition to fines.

EDIT: And apart from that, I think this also counts as harrassment, so the local PCSO might be the person to contact as a useful 'mediator.'
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Any lock and chain on those bins will belong to Mr Antisocial Neighbour. But don't the rubbish bins themselves belong to the Council? In which case - I can't see Mr AN complaining to the Council if his bin mysteriously got super-glued permanently locked (ie he couldnt manage to open the lid to get his stuff in there).

I'm also wondering about how you can prevent him getting onto your land in the first place.

I guess his just tossing sacks over into your garden in the first place is down to him thinking "Well OP can't manage to chuck them back into my garden - as he's too ill to do that". Do you have a regular visitor that is fit enough to throw his dustbin liners full of rubbish back into his garden for you? In my previous house I found that neighbour across the back alley was chucking his stuff onto my land or in my dustbins. He didnt do it for long - as I just threw it back over his back wall whenever he did that. It struck him after a while, I guess, that it was piling up in his back garden:rotfl:
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    We had a long term agreement with previous neighbour to store their bins at the side in my front garden as it was easiest access onto lane for collection. We kept agreement with new neighbour but they just toss all their bags over the fence and put them in bins on collection day. We live in the country with lots of wildlife and I have pets and young children.
    Asking nicely and writing letters achieved nothing. Throwing the bins and his rubbish back into his garden seemed to work, for about 2 months, then the chain appeared. I was just curious as to my legal standing.

I personally would cut the chains and remove the items and leave them on the path/outside.

Let him do the running if he wants to push it but he wouldn't get far with me.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I personally would cut the chains and remove the items and leave them on the path/outside.

Let him do the running if he wants to push it but he wouldn't get far with me.
    So would I, but the OP doesn't sound as if they want to put up that level of resistance, so we have been looking at alternatives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure