Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 3,842Posts
    • 42,412Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 8:24 AM.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 84
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 23rd Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 7,718 Posts
    • 37,517 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw Greying ((((((((((())))))))))) I hope you can feel safe within your own diary I understand where those people are coming from, but I really believe that not using your t3sco vouchers in the most efficient way possible is NOT the same as frivolously 'wasting' dosh. You are doing *what you can* with where you are right now and that is the most important thing xx
    Saved for house move: £16,000
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 23rd Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 42,412 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Everyday saves.........
    Well, we went for a pootle up the high street, and it was in wonderful sunshine - for which I am most grateful

We have a 'Permanent' poppy pendant now, and I put this on the pushchair today. We spotted the poppy collection tins at the end of the till in m&$, so we popped our £2 coin in. A sustainable poppy appeals to the 'environmentally concious' in me, but it's not an excuse to dodge making a donation.

I needed some batteries, and got the 'copper coloured top' ones from h0me bargins. They were £3.99 for 12. Then in (seemingly) every other shop we went into - there were the same brand batteries 'on offer'. Had I paid too much? As it turns out, no I hadn't. h3r0n were selling the same packet for £4.99 or 2 for £8 - which is ok if you need 24 AAA batteries and have £8 in your budget. W1lks were selling them for £3.75... oh no, had I lost out? No, because the packets in W1lks had 8 batteries in, not 12.

I also got some Y0ungz omega 3fish fingers (not cod) in h3r0n and paid 99p. The nearest equivalent in mrT were mrT own brand omega 3 fish fingers which are 21p dearer for the same number of fish fingers (10).

I'm hopeful that it is the little 'everyday saves' that add up to make our life affordable and sustainable.

Enjoyment 'for free' was gained when we were back home. BG and I shared a moment in the kitchen where we were munching apple together. BG eating apple that has not been pureed (albeit left 'chunky') is a new development, and it was so nice to just have a few moments together, doing such a simple thing.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,800Posts Today

9,135Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin