Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,104Posts
    • 21,565Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 474
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 29,687 Posts
    • 109,089 Thanks
    Pyxis
    WaS, if you're hovering, it's INTERNATIONAL SLOTH DAY!

(Edit..... post crossed with JM's!)

(All the following info is courtesy if Alfieblue on the Alphabetty thread.)

The History of International Sloth Day

International Sloth Day was created by AIUNAU, a non-profit
    foundation dedicated to protecting all forms of wildlife.

The AIUNAU members in Columbia have been working with sloths
    since 1996, as they became appalled to find out how many sloths
    every year were being killed by cars or power lines, and how many
    other were being captured to be made into household pets.

Once they rescue a sloth, they nurse it back to health, and then
    proceed to release it back into the wild, where it belongs.

International Sloth Day was established in November 2010 as a
    way of helping people get to know a little more about these shy,
    quiet creatures that are known for their tenderness for one
    another and keep them from going entirely extinct, as several
    species of sloth have already.

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/international-sloth-day/

AIUNAU is a non-profit foundation born from the need to
    contribute to the protection of wildlife, in particular Xenarthra. We
    adopt the principles of the compassionate conservation, where
    conservation biology and animal welfare support each other, where
    every individual counts.

The work with sloths, sweet and charismatic animals, was
    developed since 1996 through the actions developed by the project
    Unau and the foundation Unau. Foundation Unau becomes AIUNAU
    in 2010, with the same commitment to conservation and wildlife.
    We extended our experience to other endangered/threatened
    taxonomical groups, such as felines and primates, wishing to
    contribute to the conservation of confiscated animals that have no
    specific destination.

We rehabilitate wild animals that are the victims of illegal traffic,
    mistreated and/or injured. Our final goal is reintroduction of the
    rehabilitated animals to their natural habitat.

Our working tools are: rehabilitation, research in natural and social
    sciences, medicine, public awareness, education and variety of the
    activities with the communities.

http://www.aiunau.org/en/

^^ Please refer to site for further info
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 20th Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 8,802 Thanks
    dandy-candy

Dandy - good luck with your son's LL. He's doing a really great thing, challenging housing standards like this!
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    Thanks jm, it's very much on my mind today. I've texted him to see if it's happened yet but it hasn't. I hope it is all ok and the creepy LL leaves them all alone after this!
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 21st Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 10,406 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Baby sloths make little lamb-like bleating noises.

Link to YouTube https://youtu.be/5Tdokh1KYuQ
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 22nd Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Been stressed the last week, since its been half term the young kids upstairs are waking as early as 6am every day and running about on wooden floors which are banned in council properties, then often for a hour or two here and there during the day on and off running and screaming with a booming adult voice often laughing with them, and they have had friends/family round.

I did talk to them a few months back and they claimed the noise was a one off and wasn't as bad as I was making out, but its getting worse and worse since kids went back after summer to point weekends are a nightmare, my feelings is the woman works shifts and when shes away the husband lets the kids run wild and brings his friends round to watch tv or listen to music, terrible parenting really.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 23rd Oct 17, 12:23 AM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 8,802 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Deka can you contact the council? we ended up moving out of our old house because of inconsiderate neighbours. If that hadn't been an option I think I'd have become the worst, noisiest neighbour ever to give them a taste of their own medicine!

Nerves are shot at the moment, not from any one thing but more an accumulation. I was in the kitchen earlier doing some cooking and My hands just started shaking. I had some oat tincture and I'm going to take some Kalm's before bed and burn my destress aromatherapy oil. I keep feeling like running away, I need a break from everyone, but I've never been away on my own and I'm not sure if I would like it once I got there.

Hugs to those who need them xx
    Last edited by dandy-candy; Today at 12:06 PM.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 23rd Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 8,802 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Went out today as I need to stop my hermit lifestyle. Drove to local shops then walked up and down the parade, bought vitamin c tablets at chemist because DH has a cold, went to Tesco and got some bread, chocolate and coloured pencils because I thought I might try doing some drawing; also visited all the charity shops (5) and got a lovely terracotta wall decoration for £3!

I've got home and still feel trembly but I'm glad I went out. I have some knitting I've finished and blocked, but need to sew together- a job I hate, so I might do it. I'd really like to relax for the rest of the day but DH is a bit heavy on me at the moment, he's not said anything but I know from his manner that he feels I'm not pulling my weight around the house. He's made dinner the last 2 nights even though he has a cold, so he is wonderful, but I really don't feel like interacting with anyone right now. Might start a sewing project just as an excuse to sit alone in the other room for the next few nights
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,864Posts Today

8,794Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin