DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Hello, I have received a letter from first direct, they’ve confirmed they have rejected the proposal from step change and my account will now go to HSBC recovery systems, I assume this is totally normal in respect of debt management plans??

It's normal for HSBC. They're useless. Stepchange will just start paying them anyway
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hello
    A quick question about defaults.
    What would your next move once you had asked a company to default you and they they refuse?
    NRAM have said that they will not default us. Even though we have been paying them considerably less than the original payments since August last year. Is it worth taking it to the Ombudsman?
    Thanks

Interesting. Personally I don't think the ombudsman will be of much help here, we were in a similar situation with Barclaycard and the FOS found in their favour. Have you considered not paying them anything - or cutting back what you do pay to little more than token payments? There are a good few on here who have forced defaults that way. I know you'll probably worry about them taking court action -but as sourcrates has advised others on many an occasion, you'll get plenty of warning should they start down that route - time that allows you to re-enter into a payment agreement.
    Hello, I have received a letter from first direct, they’ve confirmed they have rejected the proposal from step change and my account will now go to HSBC recovery systems, I assume this is totally normal in respect of debt management plans??

Yep- and its good news because putting it into they 'recovery' system should mean they'll stop interest and charges and default the account (if they've not do so already). Just let SC know and they'll carry on paying regardless - you don't really need to do anything else.
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Hi all

I’ve logged into my online banking on my old bank account to discover my 2 loans are not showing anymore. :eek: I have been paying them £10per month for a few months now. Halifax are the creditor. than scare me out of all mine. Maybe because the loans are for very high amounts. They sent me letters with FCA information enclosed and told me to carry on with the low payment amount for the time being.

Anyway, any thoughts on what you think their next move will be? Both loan accounts are not defaulted yet so maybe this could be it.

My MBNA accounts have informed us they will be defaulted at the end of the month :T
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    motivated wrote: »
    Hi all

I’ve logged into my online banking on my old bank account to discover my 2 loans are not showing anymore. :eek: I have been paying them £10per month for a few months now. Halifax are the creditor. than scare me out of all mine. Maybe because the loans are for very high amounts. They sent me letters with FCA information enclosed and told me to carry on with the low payment amount for the time being.

Anyway, any thoughts on what you think their next move will be? Both loan accounts are not defaulted yet so maybe this could be it.

My MBNA accounts have informed us they will be defaulted at the end of the month :T
    M

Most likely scenario is they are prepping them for sale.

Banks dislike managing bad debts, it costs them money basically, that’s why they sell them on, time will tell, it’s all perfectly normal and just a part of the game.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Mcfry80
    Mcfry80 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi
    Started a joint Dmp in June and everything has gone smoothly until I received a letter from Wescot saying they are now managing our natwest debt. They say they have contacted Stepchange and they have not replied so I need to contact them. I am scared to make contact as my mental health has not been good since we started facing our financial situation.
    The letter was only addressed to me and my husband has had no contact from them. Our Dmp is showing Stepchange still paying natwest. Has anyone else had a similar issue.? Will be contacting Stepchange but know the phone lines will be jammed so not sure when I will get through and don't want to leave contacting Wescot to long as don't want debt collectors to turn up. Any advise would be greatly apprechiated.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Mcfry80 wrote: »
    Hi
    Started a joint Dmp in June and everything has gone smoothly until I received a letter from Wescot saying they are now managing our natwest debt. They say they have contacted Stepchange and they have not replied so I need to contact them. I am scared to make contact as my mental health has not been good since we started facing our financial situation.
    The letter was only addressed to me and my husband has had no contact from them. Our Dmp is showing Stepchange still paying natwest. Has anyone else had a similar issue.? Will be contacting Stepchange but know the phone lines will be jammed so not sure when I will get through and don't want to leave contacting Wescot to long as don't want debt collectors to turn up. Any advise would be greatly apprechiated.

Debt collectors wont be turning up any time soon, so don't worry. This isn't the 80's, seriously. The cost of sending someone far outweighs anything they'll get, and besides, you're paying into a DMP, so what's the point of wasting resources like that.

Wescot only manage debts, they do not buy them, have no powers whatsoever, and the only difference you'll notice is a payment going to a different place.

If you can't call Stechange, e-mail them with your DMP reference with the details Wescot have given you and they'll deal with it. Aside from that, you don't really need to do anything to a DMP you're actively paying into.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi
    Started a joint Dmp in June and everything has gone smoothly until I received a letter from Wescot saying they are now managing our natwest debt. They say they have contacted Stepchange and they have not replied so I need to contact them.... Has anyone else had a similar issue.? Will be contacting Stepchange but know the phone lines will be jammed so not sure when I will get through and don't want to leave contacting Wescot to long as don't want debt collectors to turn up. Any advise would be greatly apprechiated.

Just to add to Stopit's advice - please don't worry. You can update your details with Stepchange online. I can't access my former DMP account to double-check, but I recall there was a page that listed all your debts with a drop down option next to each debtor account where you could change the details -or just email them. My former Halifax debt was passed over the Wescot and I never had any problems with them and they certainly won't turn up at your door - they are just trying to make sure your payments are made directly to them and not to NatWest.
  • sourcrates
    Hi
    The letter was only addressed to me and my husband has had no contact from them. Our Dmp is showing Stepchange still paying natwest. Has anyone else had a similar issue.? Will be contacting Stepchange but know the phone lines will be jammed so not sure when I will get through and don't want to leave contacting Wescot to long as don't want debt collectors to turn up. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

As the others have said, Wescot dont buy debts, they dont own any of the accounts they chase, they are if you like, sub contracted to pursue these debts on behalf of the original client.

They are based just down the road from me in Hull, i have seen there obscure little hut they operate from, well not quite a hut, more a call center, a few dozen people sat at desks, talking on the phone, most of their staff are just over school age, some a little later into there career, a lot are woman, certainly not the burly blokes you have in your mind knocking on your door at 6 am.

That does not happen much these days either, some DCA`s still use doorstep collectors, Motor-mile finance for one still do, (Wescot do not), but there use is limited, these people are self employed, so only get paid commission on results, its important to realise they are not bailiffs, they have no power whatsoever, just for your information, you can refuse them entry, call the police to have them removed, if they wont leave, you do not have to speak to them, they are just ordinary folk.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hello all, off work sick today so been in bed reading previous posts on this thread - all very helpful in making me realise that things do get better, I sent all my letters off last week and am still awaiting replies - can anyone tell me how long it usually takes before you hear back from creditors? I have spent SO long now robbing peter to pay paul and living on vertually no money just so that I can keep up with minimum payments, this will be the first month I have not done that - still feeling nervous about what creditors are going to say though.
  • sourcrates
    Hello all, off work sick today so been in bed reading previous posts on this thread - all very helpful in making me realise that things do get better, I sent all my letters off last week and am still awaiting replies - can anyone tell me how long it usually takes before you hear back from creditors? I have spent SO long now robbing peter to pay paul and living on vertually no money just so that I can keep up with minimum payments, this will be the first month I have not done that - still feeling nervous about what creditors are going to say though.

Hi,

What do you think they’ll say ?

Absolutely nothing is what they’ll say, cause they don’t care too hoots, they still get paid something no matter what, some will reply, some won’t, don’t let it worry you, just do what you have to do to carry on, everything will fall into line.

I’ve posted this so many times I repeat it in my sleep, it’s all part of the game, well done for admitting you have a problem and dealing with it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure