Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LL30
    • By LL30 21st Apr 17, 6:01 PM
    • 720Posts
    • 575Thanks
    LL30
    F&F accepted I think - wording advice
    • 21st Apr 17, 6:01 PM
    F&F accepted I think - wording advice 21st Apr 17 at 6:01 PM
    Evening,

Back once again for some advice on behalf of a client (same one you helped with last time, a SB letter was suggested, and it worked, so thanks!). Offer has been made, and accepted using NDL F&F letter. Just wondering if you could check the wording of the letter received to confirm if this is watertight or not? The creditor has used the term 'partial settlement' not F&F so it's made me unsure:

'We write regarding the above account and further to your letter in which you made an offer of [X] as a partial settlement...blah blah blah about how good their customer service is blah blah...

We are willing to accept your offer of [X] partial settlement. Please confirm when you would like to pay this amount.

Please note that if this appears on your credit file it will updated to partially satisfied, however the outstanding balance will show as zero and you will not be pursued for any remainder of the balance....blah blah blah abouthow this may be viewed by other creditors and details on how to get in touch with them'

It's not on their credit file any more and the settlement is a 1/3rd of the total amount owing.

Is their wording watertight enough? If not, how to proceed? If it is acceptable, is it advisable to write a covering letter when posting the cheque reiterating that this is a full and final?

TIA once again
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 21st Apr 17, 8:43 PM
    • 12,212 Posts
    • 11,659 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:43 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:43 PM
    Hi,

Yes that's fine, you are partially settling the account, the wording is correct.

They also confirm you will not be chased for the remainder, another base covered.

It's all good.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there, and delete spam.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • LL30
    • By LL30 21st Apr 17, 9:06 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    LL30
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:06 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:06 PM
    Bless you, thanks once again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,833Posts Today

8,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin