Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tstan
    • By tstan 21st Apr 17, 12:45 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tstan
    Getting a personal loan with an overdraft?
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:45 PM
    Getting a personal loan with an overdraft? 21st Apr 17 at 12:45 PM
    Hi guys,
    First post here after years of lurking through the depths. I currently have just quit my job that was extremely low paid (£800p/m) and now have a new job much better paid. Because of the low paid job i often dipped into my overdraft, and now have an overdraft of £1000. New salary will be about £1250 after tax so sorry for the confusion of saying nearly double my previous...

Now i have started my new job with much better salary i will have a lot more money to be able to repay the overdraft bit by bit every month. Now i need a new car and am going to apply for a loan of £7000. Obviously me having an overdraft and then another bank lending me £7000 doesn't look great, but now in my current financial circumstances i will realistically be able to afford paying back the loan in the monthly rates i have been quoted, as well as paying the overdraft back bit by bit.

Now the question is, will they actually lend me the £7000 loan in the first place, because my feeling is they will see that I'm in my overdraft and automatically assume that I can't live beyond my means, which admittedly was true in my old job but now with this new one that is not the case anymore. I guess really this is for advice more than anything. And also FYI I'm only 20 so have plenty of years ahead to pay things back (if that makes any difference whatsoever!?) Thanks for any help given

Also FYI, I'm currently living at home paying low rent to parents with no other debts, loans or anything else other than my overdraft. I think im on the electoral roll and also have never applied for anything like a loan before other than overdraft increases. All outgoings for 1 month would be rent £140, travel to work £230, phone £50 and potentially the car and insurance if the loan gets accepted at £250 a month. So all outgoings are £670 p/m
    Last edited by tstan; 21-04-2017 at 1:09 PM.
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 21st Apr 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 976 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:56 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:56 PM
    If you've doubled your salary, why can't you pay the £700 in one go? Where does the other £800 a month go?

Sort the overdraft, then go for a loan.
    • tstan
    • By tstan 21st Apr 17, 1:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tstan
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:07 PM
    thanks for the reply, but I have no idea why 700 was there i think i got confused with the loan and what not - my overdraft is actually £1000 (edited in op). Sorting out the overdraft would take months at least and i can't afford to wait months for my car.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 21st Apr 17, 1:07 PM
    • 7,002 Posts
    • 8,608 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Pay the overdraft off. Doable in three months.

Save up for 18 months with your extra £450.

Buy the car for cash.

If you feel you do want a loan then being under 21 isn't ideal. Being in a job less than six months is also not good. As such expect declines or higher rates.
    • bargainbetty
    • By bargainbetty 21st Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 7,137 Thanks
    bargainbetty
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    Bear in mind that some banks will not lend to people who have recently changed jobs (probation periods etc) so you may well be better off paying the overdraft off over the next two-three months and then applying for a loan.

Just as a side note, do you really need a £7k car now? At your age, you may find the insurance is cripplingly high on an outright purchase. Having 'years to pay things back' really doesn't make it sensible to over-burden yourself with high debts for things you really don't need to pay that much for.

Best of luck
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!
    MFW - Joined May 2012, aiming to cut the mortgage by an extra two months every year. (Overpaid £3000 so far)
    , only 11 years to go.

• Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 21st Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    Gambler101
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    Agree with the poster that said save up for the car.

Motoring is expensive enough without adding interest on top too.

And if you do save up £7000, you will think twice before handing it all over for a expensive car and may opt sensibly for a cheaper car!!
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 21st Apr 17, 3:03 PM
    • 30,128 Posts
    • 19,067 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 21st Apr 17, 3:03 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 3:03 PM
    Save up for it.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 21st Apr 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 21st Apr 17, 4:46 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 4:46 PM
    Now i need a new car and am going to apply for a loan of £7000.
    Originally posted by tstan
    You don't need a new car, you'd like one. Nobody NEEDS to spend £7,000 on a car, they do so because they want to. You can get one that is perfectly usable with a MOT for £1000 or less which will do until you've cleared your overdraft and got some money in the bank.
    • dresdendave
    • By dresdendave 21st Apr 17, 6:17 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    dresdendave
    • 21st Apr 17, 6:17 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 6:17 PM
    Hi guys,
    First post here after years of lurking through the depths. I currently have just quit my job that was extremely low paid (£800p/m) and now have a new job much better paid. Because of the low paid job i often dipped into my overdraft, and now have an overdraft of £1000.

All outgoings for 1 month would be rent £140, travel to work £230, phone £50 and potentially the car and insurance if the loan gets accepted at £250 a month. So all outgoings are £670 p/m
    Originally posted by tstan

Your outgoings are £140 rent, a ridiculously high £50 for a phone and £230 travel, a total of £420. Even on £800 per month you had no reason to go overdrawn.

Learn to live within your means and your future self will be forever grateful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,800Posts Today

9,135Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin