Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr da
    • By Mr da 19th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 113Thanks
    Mr da
    Recessed gas meter box
    • 19th Mar 17, 4:01 PM
    Recessed gas meter box 19th Mar 17 at 4:01 PM
    Hi after some advice please. Somebody drove into my gas meter box and it has shattered . I've had a quote from the utility's company to disconnect are reconnect the supply on the same day.
    But I have to find someone to replace the gas box. I'm not sure how to go about it.
    Does it just fit back into the hole or will it somehow need fixing in place, I know your not meant to put any holes in the box apart from where the gas pipe goes in. Also need an electrician to do something with a wire apparently.
    Are there firms who do this or do I need to find separate tradesmen? Any help much appreciated as this is turning into an expensive nightmare.
Page 2
    • molerat
    • By molerat 22nd Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 17,108 Posts
    • 11,260 Thanks
    molerat
    I wonder who would say this when installing a socket ....

"I am going to use a set of copper wires encased in a plastic insulator jacket, the energized conductor and the return neutral conductor will be 2.5mm cross section and the wire that defines electrical potential will be 1.5mm cross section."

A normal guy would say "I'll use the 2.5 T&E" which would probably not be technically correct. But most people would get it.
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    I know of one poster on here who would
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 22nd Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Alex1983
    So you will only need the new meter box and the gas safe guy can do the rest
    • molerat
    • By molerat 22nd Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 17,108 Posts
    • 11,260 Thanks
    molerat
    Thanks silvercar it's a long story but have found who did it and they are paying, just that I have been left to organise it all. It's just short of £500 to have the utilities disconnect the gas and replace the bent pipe, I've got to organise the electrician and someone to install the box and have got to get it right as the gas will be reconnected the same day and if I don't get it right it's £500 down the pan.
    Just need to know who I need here that day, and need to make sure I can get them in place before I book the disconnect and reconnect. Seem to be going round in circles.
    Originally posted by Mr da
    I would be telling their insurer to let you know when all the necessary people are coming to do the job !
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Mr da
    • By Mr da 22nd Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Mr da
    Thanks Alex , just what I needed to know.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 22nd Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 5,220 Posts
    • 3,036 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    just what I needed to know.
    Originally posted by Mr da
    See post #4
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Mr da
    • By Mr da 23rd Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Mr da
    See post #4
    Originally posted by southcoastrgi
    Thanks also southcoast
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,864Posts Today

8,794Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin