Ross and Roberts Baliffs

2»

Comments

• sofababe wrote: »
    They can only charge you £24.50 for the first visit and £18 subsequent visits. If they have charged you a van fee this is ridiculous as they can only take your goods if they have a WPO or have levied and they haven't. Report them to the council for a start, they are charging illegal fees.

How many times have they been to your house? And why aren't you paying? Can't or won't? If its won't you could get into very serious trouble i.e. be sent to prison:eek: If its can't then the council must be made aware and an arrangement made. Could you let us know the situation please?

I lost my job a few months ago, and even though I've got another job I have not had any money to pay them it's that simple, I've asked the council to take the debt back but they refused.

I was originally charged 18 for a visit but then I was visited last week ( I was at work) and they'd charged me £160 odd quid. I want to make an arrangement, but I don't want them to come into my house.
    :DBank Charges won £4,800 in 2006 From LloydsTSB:D

• dizzybuff
    dizzybuff Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    doobiesis wrote: »
    I lost my job a few months ago, and even though I've got another job I have not had any money to pay them it's that simple, I've asked the council to take the debt back but they refused.

I was originally charged 18 for a visit but then I was visited last week ( I was at work) and they'd charged me £160 odd quid. I want to make an arrangement, but I don't want them to come into my house.

Arrange to meet them at a mutually nutral place and take a freind with you or even a solicitor. Like a cafe. Unless they have a warrent you do not have to let them in . Even if they turn up with the police. No warrent = no comy ini .
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
    One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me :rotfl:
  • dizzybuff wrote: »
    Arrange to meet them at a mutually nutral place and take a freind with you or even a solicitor. Like a cafe. Unless they have a warrent you do not have to let them in . Even if they turn up with the police. No warrent = no comy ini .

But if I do not agree to let them in, they're sending it back to the council and then it goes back to court again! He said I would be arrested over the debt if I don't complete the monthly payment form with him, and it HAS to be in my house...

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have advised the Bailiff that I'm not giving him access to my property !

Good
    and I then called the Council who stated that I have to let them in, and I can't set it up over the telephone. !

Do you have the name of this person, becauser you need to make a formal complaint avbout them. They are lying.
    She stated that if I refuse then Ross and Roberts are sending the debt back to the council where they will apply for an arrest warrant for me!!! !

That is complete boolocks. If the debt is sent back and you refuse long-term to pay anything off the debt, they will take you to court. If you still refuse to pay after the court case, then you could be committed to prison. I think it has happened a handful of times when people had an axe to grind.
    Then I called the CAB and they advised I don't have to let them issue a Levvy to arrange a payment with them... !

They are correct
    What Should I do!

Right, ring back and ask to speak to the same person at the Council, ask them their name and job title. Then ask them the same questions, then tell them you are goign to ask the same questions and reciord their answers. See what happens.

Then get hold of your lcoal councillor and complain like mad as the Council officer are acting illegally.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • sofababe
    sofababe Posts: 1,394 Forumite

A liability order must have been issued. How much CT do you actually owe? You must start paying something or you will be sent to prison. Don't let the bailiffs in. EVER. Send payment to the council by e-payment. If you have online banking you should be able to do this. If you are working why do you have no money for CT? If you on a low wage you should qualify for CTB. If you have other debts then they will have to wait. They can't send you to prison, Council Tax avoidance can.
  • dizzybuff
    dizzybuff Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    But if I do not agree to let them in, they're sending it back to the council and then it goes back to court again! He said I would be arrested over the debt if I don't complete the monthly payment form with him, and it HAS to be in my house...

Scare mongering at the worst .

You have agreed to meet them . What ever you do do not let them in your house.

As the post above states complain to r MP , councillor etc.
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
    One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me :rotfl:
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    sofababe wrote: »
    A You must start paying something or you will be sent to prison. Don't let the bailiffs in. EVER. Send payment to the council by e-payment. If you have online banking you should be able to do this. If you are working why do you have no money for CT? .

It is legaly possible but very very very rare for anyone to be sent to prison for CT non-payment unless they are making a political statement.

OP, you need to make on-line payments if possible, or send the bailiffs a cheque.

Otherwise, put the money in a separate account and if it went to court, they would be stuffed if you produced a statment showing that you had been saving money towards the debt and prevented from paying.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • RAS wrote: »
    Good

Do you have the name of this person, becauser you need to make a formal complaint avbout them. They are lying.

That is complete boolocks. If the debt is sent back and you refuse long-term to pay anything off the debt, they will take you to court. If you still refuse to pay after the court case, then you could be committed to prison. I think it has happened a handful of times when people had an axe to grind.

They are correct

Right, ring back and ask to speak to the same person at the Council, ask them their name and job title. Then ask them the same questions, then tell them you are goign to ask the same questions and reciord their answers. See what happens.

Then get hold of your lcoal councillor and complain like mad as the Council officer are acting illegally.

Thank you so much for your advice, I'll call the council back tomorrow and ask for her name, and I will also start paying the council with my ref number so that it shows I'm willing to pay the bill and then I'll go to court again and hopefully it'll work itself out without bailiff fees.

Thank you all for your support, the first place I came too when it happend and I'm so glad that this site is here... I can't thank you all enough. :A

• dizzybuff wrote: »
    Scare mongering at the worst .

You have agreed to meet them . What ever you do do not let them in your house.

As the post above states complain to r MP , councillor etc.

I have just drafted an email which I am going to send when I have the lady at the council who I spoke to today.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family