Solar Panel Quote

Thinking of Solar Panels, but need to hurry it along as we have scaffolding in place by builders and they're just finishing the job. Also tariff goes down end of December.

Considering SP to offset electric usage, underfloor heating and such.

How does this look?

Total fit and supply charge (minus scaffolding) - £4,620.42

11 x 300W panels

24294205_10159932267820227_5005689187275369825_n.jpg?oh=5aff32f56e4dd0249613280feeb7a7d5&oe=5A941DBA

Comments

• looks a little expensive to me especially if there is no scaffolding...

Aim for £1k per kw.

FIT changes are minimal now, so don't rush because of that. Scaffolding is a big saving though so do try to get it done.

I'm sure others will be along soon!

Can you not get more panels up there?

CTS renewables did my panels and will quote over the phone. They were excellent throughout.

Ian
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 12:27PM
    The estimated annual savings by offsetting electric by Solar is a huge over estimation. You are more likely to get under 4k,kWh of generation a year and would be lucky if you could use 50% of that, unless you have a diverter fitted.
    The average imported electricity saving is between £80 - £120 a year.
  • 4 panels along the roof where my wife is sitting painting

Ignoring the triangle section above her head, the next three sections to the right could hold 7 panels.

l1000491.jpg?w=1680

Is it really worth doing for saving on energy?
  • The estimated annual savings by offsetting electric by Solar is a huge over estimation. You are more likely to get under 4kWh of generation a year and would be lucky if you could use 50% of that, unless you have a diverter fitted.
    The average imported electricity saving is between £80 - £120 a year.

Sorry if i say something wrong :)

"Under 4kWh", there are 3.3kW of panels - so that's a given right?

I do also work from home.

2 people in a 4 bed house, have used £97.84 electricity this month, a total of 686kWh

The thought of Solar was a knee jerk reaction to the "71 pence per hour" cost of turning the new underfloor heating on. However in reality if I only want to bring it up to 19c it doesn't need to run that long.

Maybe it's not right for us really,
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 11:49AM
    dancook wrote: »

"Under 4kWh", there are 3.3kW of panels - so that's a given right?

Sorry, meant under 4,000 kWh a year. Take a look at PVGIS for a realistic estimate of what you are likely to generate a year.
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 November 2017 at 11:49AM
    Our 24/7 'electricity idle' it's about 7pence per hour, which is 622watts.
  • Sorry, meant under 4,000 kWh a year. Take a look at PVGIS for a realistic estimate of what you are likely to generate a year.

Just done a quick estimation on PVGIS for the middle of the country, for a system of that size and it estimates 3,030 kWh per year.
  • Solar panels are very well thought of on here! a lot of what you say makes you a good candidate.....You do need to check that your initial outlay is not excessive though.

The advice on here persuaded me to do it and I haven't looked back.

Ian
    6.72kw Pv Ja Solar 280w * 24 panels, Solar Edge inverter, South facing no shading.
    South Lake District, delightful view of Morecambe Bay. Not Saving up for a battery too expensive:j:mad::hello:

July Solar target 769kw
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    dancook wrote: »
    Thinking of Solar Panels, but need to hurry it along as we have scaffolding in place by builders and they're just finishing the job. Also tariff goes down end of December.

Considering SP to offset electric usage, underfloor heating and such.

How does this look?

Total fit and supply charge (minus scaffolding) - £4,620.42

11 x 300W panels

Hiya. It would be nice if you get it a bit cheaper, perhaps closer to £4k.

It's a messy set up, but I see the quote is for SolarEdge, so that's sorted.

Leccy savings might be less than you think, but ... you are quoting very high usage, and the higher your usage (daytime) the more you'll save. Perhaps you'll use 1,500-2,000kWh of the generation is daytime usage is high, so that might save you £200(ish) but that's an absolute stab in the dark.

Don't worry about the FiT rate change in Jan, it only drops from 3.90p to 3.83p, however, an install this year will be eligible for an inflationary uplift in April, as that'll be 'a year later', also the cost of scaffolding means you really want to do it now, or never.

Regarding the roof above your wife, can you use the west facing section too?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya. It would be nice if you get it a bit cheaper, perhaps closer to £4k.

It's a messy set up, but I see the quote is for SolarEdge, so that's sorted.

Leccy savings might be less than you think, but ... you are quoting very high usage, and the higher your usage (daytime) the more you'll save. Perhaps you'll use 1,500-2,000kWh of the generation is daytime usage is high, so that might save you £200(ish) but that's an absolute stab in the dark.

Don't worry about the FiT rate change in Jan, it only drops from 3.90p to 3.83p, however, an install this year will be eligible for an inflationary uplift in April, as that'll be 'a year later', also the cost of scaffolding means you really want to do it now, or never.

Regarding the roof above your wife, can you use the west facing section too?

The builders start in May and suggested it would take 4 months, it's now almost December. There isn't much left, but they've probably had enough, I'm looking forward to them going so they can't destroy anything else, the idea of asking them to leave the scaffolding up and getting a bit more isn't appealing.

I'm starting to feel quite negative about the whole endeavour, possibly a "mess" of solar panels on the roof that isn't doing a lot for us.

He didn't seem to think the west facing part was a good option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure