HMRC wont accept offer

Looking for a little advice.

My first ever post

Last month 18th July I received a letter from HMRC saying i owe £3800 in unpaid tax plus fines of £662 this is for tax years 12/13 13/14 14/15. in the space of one months i have found out about the debt had demands for payment and threatening letters for door step collection. I immediately phoned HMRC and was told this was for over £50K child benefit tax. This has now been explained to me and i understand it however HMRC will not accept an offer from me. The first offer of £100 was rejected and the second of £150 was rejected. The lady i spoke to said make the £150 payment anyway to show your willing so i did and have been. I have since received several letters asking to pay in full or they will be on my doorstep. I called back to discus again and was told the amount was too little, i have accepted the debt but until i am back on my feet after 2 years of unemployment i cant afford anymore. I did find this interesting though, I asked for all correspondence relating to this debt going back to 2012 to which i was told the only communication they have sent was related to my company car in 2013, The HMRC adviser had a chuckle Literally laughed and said we haven't sent you anything in relation to this debt. I asked how would i know i owed the money if you haven't sent any communications he replied i see what your saying and you wouldn't know. i got put through to another team within HMRC and the arrogance was you owe the money and have to pay. the offer is still not being accepted but i`m still paying.
I owe the money thats fine my real problem is this wouldn't have got to this stage if i had known about it.
I just think its ridiculous that i have gone back to work after 2 years i have received this demand they wont accept my offer and they know they didn't send my any communication, at best i think the fines are not fare.

Any advice greatly appreciate

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family