Conservatory fitting issue

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »

The fitters are very good. It's everyone else....

I will put a different slant on this. As a rule of thumb site measuring is useless, and/or innaccurate. This goes forward to produce pathetic A4 size 3D drawings that are devoid of dimensions and detail. These are time worn deliberate procedures that would not happen with any professional building project, but are normal in the conservatory industry. This in a nutshell is the type of service you have received because this is the type of service every consumer receives.

However, the conservatories are then fitted by teams who know how useless the system and procedures are. These teams invariably they do nothing to flag up problems/pre check dimensions/ dy fix/lay out components/scrutinise drawings and so on. In essence we frequently say they are good based on turning up on time, being polite, and keeping the workplace clean. In reality these teams are as slapdash and lackadaisical as the companies who employ them. Here you only have to witness your bodged cill detail.

Standards are abysmal and the industry is unregulated. Even your brickwork is no advert for workmanship, and will not win any prizes!

PS Sorry if the last comment causes offence - it is just an observation!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Furts wrote: »
    Standards are abysmal and the industry is unregulated. Even your brickwork is no advert for workmanship, and will not win any prizes!

Err......well.... the brickwork wasn't done by them; it was in-house. :o
    I know it isn't top notch, more like bottom rung, but it's level and accurate.

And the bodged sill, which we won't accept, was on the instructions of their boss, who probably couldn't read his own tiny drawing. One of the fitters told me it should be changed, but it wasn't his place etc etc.

As for the leaky box gutter, that was done by a tig welder not connected with any of us, although it would have been common sense to test it before fitting.

Here in the countryside we're used to engaging part-time, second tier
    tradespeople, (for example, our plumber and plasterer are also farmers) but they do a reasonable job, or no one would employ them. This is the first real problem we've run into in 2.5 years of major renovations.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Err......well.... the brickwork wasn't done by them; it was in-house. :o
    I know it isn't top notch, more like bottom rung, but it's level and accurate.

And the bodged sill, which we won't accept, was on the instructions of their boss, who probably couldn't read his own tiny drawing. One of the fitters told me it should be changed, but it wasn't his place etc etc.

As for the leaky box gutter, that was done by a tig welder not connected with any of us, although it would have been common sense to test it before fitting.

Here in the countryside we're used to engaging part-time, second tier
    tradespeople, (for example, our plumber and plasterer are also farmers) but they do a reasonable job, or no one would employ them. This is the first real problem we've run into in 2.5 years of major renovations.

I apologise over the brickwork, but return to your cill and the fitters.

There is a catalogue of cills available so your fitters could have fitted a smaller cill - as an example I have two different sizes fitted on my home. Then come onto the door frame. My bricklayers got their dimensions wrong on one of my openings so I had an add on put up each side of the frame.

Using this an an example to illustrate a point ... Did your fitters start by laying out the pieces and then consider these items? "You need a different size cill here mate"

Did they engage with you over these possibilities? "You need an add on here mate"

Why did they just blast ahead knowing what they were doing was wrong?

I accept they may not have a suitable cill on their van on that particular day, (but it would have been available within a few hours) but it is a certainty they had appropriate lengths of add on.

Your salesman was not good, your measuring and survey was not good, your design was not good, but I am suggesting your fitters were also not good.

You are a switched on, knowledgable, respected consumer yet this happens to you. I have my attributes, whatever they happen to be, and it happens to me. This is a reflection on the conservatory industry - it is rotten to the core and survives because it is totally devoid of regulation. Consumers all pay the price for this.
  • Davesnave
    Furts wrote: »
    This is a reflection on the conservatory industry - it is rotten to the core and survives because it is totally devoid of regulation. Consumers all pay the price for this.

I have to agree.

I've done a huge amount of work here and, of necessity, I've used local tradespersons, rather than people from town, as we're 45 minutes from civilisation and my pockets are shallow. Despite some of these part-timers/old timers working for £15/hr, I've had no real issues, apart from having difficulty contacting them, because they run to their own timetable and their mobile phones always seem to be out of range!

This is one of the few times when I've gone to an out-of-area, large town contractor, but unfortunately there's a limit to what a village and its environs can provide. I went to 3 companies regarding this job and two submiited 'plans.' (Non submission of quotes is very common here.) The other company, recommended by others, produced a plan so different from what we discussed, I just couldn't see how they'd listened at all. Their roof line and vents, however, were the same as what we have now
  • Davesnave
    Update: People rarely update, but if this thread is to be any use, I should keep it running to conclusion....

Furts was right; the fitters are bodgers too. My own investigations show that the conservatory's box gutter isn't fitted according to the manufacturer's instructions. I have plenty of photo evidence and I've contacted them.

Over the weekend I trawled through all the paperwork and built a case for rejecting the conservatory based on:

• giving false info verbally
    • providing wrong information on plans and specs
    • not informing the customer when these mistakes came to light
    • not using appropriate care and skill in planning or executing the job
    Company MD will now be informed and we'll see where it goes from here.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good luck Dave.
  • Furts wrote: »
    I will put a different slant on this. As a rule of thumb site measuring is useless, and/or innaccurate. This goes forward to produce pathetic A4 size 3D drawings that are devoid of dimensions and detail. These are time worn deliberate procedures that would not happen with any professional building project, but are normal in the conservatory industry. This in a nutshell is the type of service you have received because this is the type of service every consumer receives.

However, the conservatories are then fitted by teams who know how useless the system and procedures are. These teams invariably they do nothing to flag up problems/pre check dimensions/ dy fix/lay out components/scrutinise drawings and so on. In essence we frequently say they are good based on turning up on time, being polite, and keeping the workplace clean. In reality these teams are as slapdash and lackadaisical as the companies who employ them. Here you only have to witness your bodged cill detail.

Really Furts you do talk some rubbish you constantly call anybody who works in the building trade and tar them all with the same brush it is my opinion that you are and have only ever been a paper pusher in this industry and have now skill set yourself please Furts look at the glass as half full instead of half empty .
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Update: People rarely update, but if this thread is to be any use, I should keep it running to conclusion....

Furts was right; the fitters are bodgers too. My own investigations show that the conservatory's box gutter isn't fitted according to the manufacturer's instructions. I have plenty of photo evidence and I've contacted them.

Over the weekend I trawled through all the paperwork and built a case for rejecting the conservatory based on:

• giving false info verbally
    • providing wrong information on plans and specs
    • not informing the customer when these mistakes came to light
    • not using appropriate care and skill in planning or executing the job
    Company MD will now be informed and we'll see where it goes from here.

People rarely update as you say and as a poster it does grate at times that people ask advice and dont post there results at the end
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Davesnave
    Here are the results so far.

We have had a letter back from the 'surveyor' who admits the box gutter is attached to the house in a way that contravenes the manufacturer's instructions. How he knows this without visiting the site is a matter of conjecture, but the assumption I'd make is that they do it that way all the time, till caught-out.

He defends his choice of a 5 degree pitch by saying that he thought it best for practical functional and aesthetic reasons. Fair enough, but then he goes on:
    "I rarely involve the customer in technical decisions because this can caiuse lots of confusion and lack of understanding and I could not possibly do my job waiting on long term decision-making from my customers.....Please note that drawings are for illustratrive purposes and sent out as a visual aid, and this is clearly stated on the drawings."

If I read this right, we couldn't rely on drawings he sent, which showed a 10-11.5 degree pitch, in writing, and he wouldn't discuss stuff like roof pitch with us, because it's likely to confuse us. So, when he got down to specifics, like realising the real pitch would be only 5 degrees, not 10, he wasn't obliged to tell us. It would all be a nice surprise!

I'm speechless at his arrogance.

He ends by saying "The sill cap is a perfectly normal way of completing the sill returns or at the end of a sill." In other words We're not changing it.
    P1000396.jpg

P1000395.jpg

Here's another look at that, now the windows are in. (The company uses extrernally glazed windows , but I'm not bothered.)

And for those who wanted a look at the whole thing:

P1000405.jpg

P1000406.jpg

Hope all those links work.

Nothing from the MD yet.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    TheCyclingProgrammer Posts: 3,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 January 2017 at 5:59PM
    People rarely update as you say and as a poster it does grate at times that people ask advice and dont post there results at the end

Agreed, thanks for updating the thread Dave. Its so annoying when people come on here for help, get it, then !!!!!! off without so much as a thank you or a resolution!

Got to laugh at the comment about the sill cap. A mitred return might be a nice way to finish off a piece of joinery where it can be sanded and painted but its always going to look complete crap and a bodge with a piece of hollow extruded plastic with a cap glued over it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure