Timpson: Don't let them near your watch!

Comments

• Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It arrived back on Friday. No guarantee, as they said, but not even a pressure test certificate. Plus the beeps still don't work; it crackles a little sometimes instead.
    I decided to call Accurist myself; turns out they do still have the parts in stock; ALL of them! So now I'm not going to put up with anything short of full repair or replacement. Accurist will do a full service & clean, guaranteeing it for 6 months for £62.17. Replacement is £100. I wonder which they'll opt for lol.
    No way will I ever let Timpson near anything I own ever again.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • WolfSong2000
    WolfSong2000 Posts: 1,736
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Naf wrote: »
    An Accurist world time chronograph. Without the watch here I can't tell you the specific model.

Well, for future reference, Chronograph watches in general can be a bit of a pain in the backside to change the batteries in...once you open the back up, all it takes is one wrong move to dislodge a small part which results in other parts not working...if I were you I would have sent it off to a professional (not that you were to know).

If you want to avoid the problem all together, I'd recommend buying a Citizen Eco Drive Watch (they have cronograph models). As far as I am concerned Citizen are one of the best brands on the market and punch well above their weight. The Eco Drive models don't use batteries - the face acts as a solar panel, and charges best off natural light, but can also charge off artificial light and some of them even get charged from moonlight. Once the watch is fully charged you can stick it in a draw, pull it out 3 years later and it should still be working.

Believe it or not, I don't work for the company (poor masters student at the moment), but I do have a citizen Eco Drive Watch and have found it to be a fantastic investment!
  • Naf
    Forumite
    If you want to avoid the problem all together, I'd recommend buying a Citizen Eco Drive Watch (they have cronograph models). As far as I am concerned Citizen are one of the best brands on the market and punch well above their weight. The Eco Drive models don't use batteries - the face acts as a solar panel, and charges best off natural light, but can also charge off artificial light and some of them even get charged from moonlight. Once the watch is fully charged you can stick it in a draw, pull it out 3 years later and it should still be working.

Believe it or not, I don't work for the company (poor masters student at the moment), but I do have a citizen Eco Drive Watch and have found it to be a fantastic investment!

You know, these are exactly what I'd been looking at saving toward as a replacement to this in a couple of years. Truth be told I'm most interested in having a watch that I like the look of and that does something interesting; either of those are few and far between; let alone both...
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • Naf
    Forumite
    RESULT!!
    email today that they're issuing a cheque for me to the value of £100 and leaving it to me if I want to repair or replace.
    - Mark Twain
  • :mad:My watch went to Timpsons watch repair service in October 2012, it was returned a month later I paid £65 for said repair. The next day the watch looked to be gaining time. The hour hand was out of alignment. It went back again, returned a month later still out of alignment. Went back for a third time and is still out of alignment.
    I have made many calls to Timpsons so called customer care and to their MD. I am no further forward with getting my watch repaired, just £65 out of pocket.
    What a nightmare company
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    snorthcote, you're usually better creating a new thread, rather than adding to one that hasn't been used for almost 18 months.

Click on the new thread button near the top of each forum page. Welcome to the site.
  • I paid for a lifetime battery guarantee on my watch, each time I have taken it in, the battery has been changed no problem, (didn't last very long but must be cheap battery) this time I was told they no longer did the batter in-store and had to go away to the workshop and would take 3-4 weeks!!!! I eventually agreed, but said don't try telling me it will need anything else, as I suspected a con. SURPRISE SURPRISE 3 weeks later get a text message on my home phone that had to be played 20 times just to hear the number to call back on which is 0190 23117860 and they say it is not the battery!! the watch needs a repair/service at £150.00. They kept saying it was sent for repair, I said NO it was sent for a battery. I paid for a lifetime battery. The manager called and was quite off, as clearly he must do a lot of this, and insists it is not the battery but a fault on the watch, told them to return, which will take another 4 weeks. Stay well clear of Timpsons, reading the reviews on-line this is a common con. See you in court Timpsons!!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I paid for a lifetime battery guarantee on my watch, each time I have taken it in, the battery has been changed no problem, (didn't last very long but must be cheap battery) this time I was told they no longer did the batter in-store and had to go away to the workshop and would take 3-4 weeks!!!! I eventually agreed, but said don't try telling me it will need anything else, as I suspected a con. SURPRISE SURPRISE 3 weeks later get a text message on my home phone that had to be played 20 times just to hear the number to call back on which is 0190 23117860 and they say it is not the battery!! the watch needs a repair/service at £150.00. They kept saying it was sent for repair, I said NO it was sent for a battery. I paid for a lifetime battery. The manager called and was quite off, as clearly he must do a lot of this, and insists it is not the battery but a fault on the watch, told them to return, which will take another 4 weeks. Stay well clear of Timpsons, reading the reviews on-line this is a common con. See you in court Timpsons!!

Didnt need to drag up an old thread, could have started your own thread.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Watch batteries from timpsons should last a decent amount of time. The fact you appear to be burning through them so quickly means that they are probably right when they say it's a fault on the watch.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    I'm glad a this thread has come up, it just proves to me that I was right not to let timpson have my watch- they wanted £15 for a bog standard battery and £20 for a lifetime one :eek: I checked this price in two different branches too.

I got it done at a car boot sale for £1.80. I'd much rather go to that guy once a year if I had to if it meant that timpson didn't get hold of it

Thanks!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport