Greedy Sister!!

My Mum divorced my Father when I was about 8. My Grandparents basically bought me up! Mum has always promised a 50/50 split when she passed....this is going back over 20 years. When my Mum was dying of cancer my sister 'drove her' to have her will changed to give her a rent free 'Life interest trust'. My sister is a waster and spent our grandparents inheritance on a 'round the world trip', I spent mine of a degree? It's not just the money its the principle, to get a dying, heavily drugged woman to change their will in their favour??? My mum couldn't look at my sister for the last weeks before her death and that is why I am fighting it? Would appreciate any support or similar incidents??

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2018 at 9:57PM
    My Mum divorced my Father when I was about 8. My Grandparents basically bought me up! Mum has always promised a 50/50 split when she passed....this is going back over 20 years. When my Mum was dying of cancer my sister 'drove her' to have her will changed to give her a rent free 'Life interest trust'. My sister is a waster and spent our grandparents inheritance on a 'round the world trip', I spent mine of a degree? It's not just the money its the principle, to get a dying, heavily drugged woman to change their will in their favour??? My mum couldn't look at my sister for the last weeks before her death and that is why I am fighting it? Would appreciate any support or similar incidents??
    You need to speak to a solicitor about challenging the will. It will not be cheap or easy.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,440
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Did your sister live with your mother?
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    If the will was redone at a solicitor's office you may have more difficulty fighting it than if it was a home made jobbie.
  • Did you mean greedy sisterS?
  • My sister didn't live with my Mother and had her own rental property until she moved in after Mum's death
  • One greedy sister is enough!!!
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Why not seek legal advice on whether or not you are able to challenge the will under the inheritance rules rather than its actual validity? Unless of course, it was a 'home-made jobbie' as already mentioned.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's not just the money its the principle, to get a dying, heavily drugged woman to change their will in their favour??? My mum couldn't look at my sister for the last weeks before her death and that is why I am fighting it? Would appreciate any support or similar incidents??
    konark wrote: »
    If the will was redone at a solicitor's office you may have more difficulty fighting it than if it was a home made jobbie.

See above. A solicitor wouldn't have allowed that if your mum wasn't fully able to make her own decision if that's what you're implying. Otherwise your mum made a choice, that's it.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • What provision is there in the Will for things to revert to normal when your sister dies - or for any other reason moves out?

Does your share become available to you only on sisters death - and meanwhile you don't have any access at all to your inheritance?

Presumably you can make out a Will for your own property that includes leaving your 50% share of this house in whichever direction you choose? So - at the least your share will become available to you at some point - even if it isnt until after your sister (and possibly yourself) are dead. So - at least your Sisters estate wouldnt include that bit of your money?

However, that does still leave you with the current problem - ie if there's a way to get your 50% share now? I think it would be wise to look up the exact terms of this "life interest". It may be that you going in to live in your half share of this house (or putting a lodger into your half share) would be possible. You, of course, to take all the rent from your lodger.

That may be your best bet for now - ie to find out the exact terms of that "life interest" your sister has wheedled her way into. If she finds she's not going to be able to live in your joint house on her own - she might think differently about refusing to sell it.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,440
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    My sister didn't live with my Mother and had her own rental property until she moved in after Mum's death

I could understand the lifetime benefit if she was dependant and living with your mother, but this does sound she manipulated your mother, for her benefit and basically cutting you off from accessing your own inheritance.

Based on the limited information you have given us it does appear that you should challenge this clause in the will, no guarantee you will win and it could be very expensive if you lose.

Have you taken legal advice yet?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport