Relocated, recuperating .long post ..

Options
2»

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with Sangie, there is no need for you to lie.
    Gaps on a CV do raise questions so a very brief explanation ("dealing with an (initially misdiagnosed) medical issue which is now fully controlled, and relocating") is fine, and has the benefit that since you have told the trust, you don't have to try to remember what you said!

In terms of job hunting, I wouldn't ;let your friends push you before you are ready, however, I would suggest that you start to look at what is being advertised to start to get a feel for what is available and what salary expectations will be reasonable (I would guess probably significantly lower than London rates for similar work)

Decide whether you have any gaps in your skills or anything which is a bit rusty, and look at how you could bring yourself up to speed - an evening class / adult ed. class might be useful both to demonstrate that your skills are up to date despite the gap you've had to take, and might also be useful in helping you to rebuild your confidence.

Also - while I understand you are over the limit for means tested benefits, have you looked onto whether any of your medical issues would entitle you to any disability benefits or additional support?

Finally , when you do start applying for jobs, as you are initially looking for part time work, think about what hours you want to work / would be willing to work. As an employer, i know we find that an awful lot of people wanting part time work want to work mornings as they are working part time to fit around school times / child care. Someone who is willing to work (say) 11-5 instead of 9-3, or even 9-5 2 days a week would be very appealing, so if a later start would suit you, or if you would be willing to consider those kinds of hours, be sure to make that clear in interviews, as it is uncommon!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks again my clever bunnies. Sounds like you are doing everything positive . Keep at it ! :)

Thank you T Bagpuss also :)

I won’t go for benefits. I did make a gentle enquiry on the benefits post a few months ago. I was advised to on my main thread .
    TBH , there are many people much worse than me . I don’t want to be treated like trash by the gvt and means testing and will only go when things are really desperate. As I say, my condition is odd. Apart from being grossly overweight , I loo normal . My left eye goes tired when I’m tired . I know the score and want to get employment again instead .

I’m being encouraged by the help I’ve received here already . I will just tell the truth . I’m very resentful now from the treatment I’ve received and the way employers can treat staff pretty much as they please.
    When I say part time, it could be 5 days a week , or 3 days .
    I have always been flexible . The only hours I don’t want to do , are hours past 5 pm unless I like the position I’m in. 9-5 never existed in my line of work and I was always doing overtime wherever I was to keep things ticking over.
    Salary wise, I just want to pay bills and maybe get a beer. So say around £850 take home .
    I just want to be there for people , get on and plod along nicely .

Thanks
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    One thing you must think about is that if you aren't claiming benefits, you also aren't getting your NI contributions credited; and that could impact on your pension in the future. Assuming, of course, that anyone will be able to retire and claim one in the future!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    One thing you must think about is that if you aren't claiming benefits, you also aren't getting your NI contributions credited; and that could impact on your pension in the future. Assuming, of course, that anyone will be able to retire and claim one in the future!

Great advice again thanks .
    I did go through the gvt website giving all of my info. According to that m entitled to something . Can’t remember the exact figure.
    Got to wait till I’m 67 if I get there . That’s assuming it doesn’t get taken away ..
    If I’m working and all is ok, I may just carry on with that if I’m allowed . Who knows
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport