PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    dolly84 wrote: »
    I would have thought this was a given but reading the other posts it would seem not everyone sees what is obvious to us. I like that I am not creating a demand for a new product and using what already exists as reducing, re-using and recyling are very important to me.

My two children (14 & 11) both do most of their shopping in CS, they get much more for their money and they love the excitement of not knowing what they will find.

It is my DD's birthday today and she has got 3 preloved tops, a preloved Fjallraven backpack, an expensive bottle of perfume which she loves that I bought on ebay 3/4 full. She got other things new too but these were things she wanted and it means we get more for out budget. She is really happy with everything.
    And I bet they find stuff that's maybe not in shops on their high street - bought from a bigger store, worn once (or not at all) and donated. Well done those kids. :T

That's just one of the things I love about charity shopping, I can wear lovely things that I don't see anyone else wearing.
    I like to be individual - and a tad off-the-wall. :D
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    edited 3 December 2017 at 11:38AM
    Good morning

I had the day to myself yesterday due to husband and big 'kids' away for the day. I was very fortunate to find some great items in my local town.

An ALEXON camel coat ! £5 like new and gorgeous
    Pair of Marks Spencer Black Jeans new with tags £3.50
    6 Christmas placemats perfect condition £2 (Deers)
    11 items Kids coats tops (GAP NEXT ETC) 50P Each
    1 good read 50p

2 soft stuffed Santa and Snowman for my friend 50p each
    1 pair of brand new loose top socks with tags ideal for an elderly relative who find socks too tight 50p (had a £4 label.)

total of £18

I had allowed myself a budget of £20 which is so much more than I normally do. I try not spend more than £5 on a hunt :)

I had a further £2 left so called at a local independent little charity shop where I found 2 Lindy Bowman Traditional Christmas Gift boxes £1...checked these out they can be quite expensive. Will keep these as decorations for my dining room.
    A bottle of Paris Perfume !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! £1

I dont buy perfume just body spray but am delighted to have found this ... the last few weeks I have left about 6 bags of donations to this little shop and I could spot some of my items on the shelves :)

I am really pleased with myself and have donated a hard earned £20 to these small independent little shops that help so many local people. I was delighted to find the 6 placemats as my Christmas ones are starting to look shabby.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Finding this current discussion fascinating!

For me......whatever the pros and cons, the rights and wrongs, the ethics and sensibilities etc, absolutely nothing can beat the thrill, the buzz of finding a really stunning bargain in a charity shop for just a few pennies or pounds. Buying new from a high end shop or even just M & S, (which I could afford to do!), just doesn't come close. I have about a dozen items that I have found over the years that I still regard as real chazza 'star buys' and that still give me real pleasure to use/wear knowing their provenance. And it's lovely to be able to share these finds here with people who 'get it' and also to hear about other people's finds.
  • Exactly Miro

I prefer to go to the small local run shops the first one that I purchased great clothing, feeds and clothes many people on a weekly basis. Its church linked with an excellent ethos. Many well off people clear their wardrobes out so the rest of us can benefit from items they do not want. I donate anything we dont need or use to the two little shops as I believe they do good work for needy people. There is so much waste in our society and people buying stuff they never even take the labels off !! This time of the year tough on those with very little. So much more push to buy buy buy stuff !!!!!!! sickening really.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Mir! wrote: »
    Finding this current discussion fascinating!

For me......whatever the pros and cons, the rights and wrongs, the ethics and sensibilities etc, absolutely nothing can beat the thrill, the buzz of finding a really stunning bargain in a charity shop for just a few pennies or pounds. Buying new from a high end shop or even just M & S, (which I could afford to do!), just doesn't come close. I have about a dozen items that I have found over the years that I still regard as real chazza 'star buys' and that still give me real pleasure to use/wear knowing their provenance. And it's lovely to be able to share these finds here with people who 'get it' and also to hear about other people's finds.
    My lovely sister (who buys me the most amazing gifts) bought me a wonderful Karen Millen skirt from a charity shop one Christmas - at least 15 years ago. She had it professionally dry-cleaned (bless her) although she also wears charity shop stuff.
    Over the years, it's fitted me, been too tight, been too loose and currently fits me again. :j
    It's one item that I'll never, ever get rid of.
    I'll wear it on Christmas Day when we go to see her (it's a gorgeous deep maroony-red) and she'll recognise it instantly and be so pleased.
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    My lovely sister (who buys me the most amazing gifts) bought me a wonderful Karen Millen skirt from a charity shop one Christmas - at least 15 years ago. She had it professionally dry-cleaned (bless her) although she also wears charity shop stuff.
    Over the years, it's fitted me, been too tight, been too loose and currently fits me again. :j
    I'll wear it on Christmas Day when we go to see her (it's a gorgeous deep maroony-red) and she'll recognise it instantly and be so pleased.

Wonderful !!!! what a superb gift that has created many memories

I actually know of people who throw perfectly good clean expensive clothes in the black bin !!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it when she said she done such a thing. That is more than wasteful, its sinful!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 December 2017 at 12:39PM
    I have items bought in charity shops years ago which are still my favourites to wear. When I put them on I still wonder occasionally about their provenance and who donated them. When I buy something new and unworn which still has a shop price tag on it I wonder why? Was it bought in a moment of recklessness and then not liked once it was home or was trying to lose weight to squeeze into it but never managed it, or was it bought, saved for a special occasion and the owner never got round to wearing it or more sadly, died before they had a chance to wear it? Every item tells a story and it would be nice sometimes to know its history.

I think my most recent charity shop bargains have been the quilted body warmers. I now have three of them in different colours and they're really making a difference to my comfort indoors now the cold weather is here. They keep me nice and warm yet leave my arms free from bulky clutters of multiple clothing layers when I have tasks to do. I previously always thought my arms would feel cold without an additional second or third layer of clothing but often that hasn't been the case.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »

Awww that is sooo nice! A double 'buzz' item - a bargain, presumably, and a thoughtful gift from your sister :)
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Over the years, it's fitted me, been too tight, been too loose and currently fits me again.

Ahem, I have several of those sort of items too! :o
  • sweetpea26 wrote: »
    I actually know of people who throw perfectly good clean expensive clothes in the black bin !!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it when she said she done such a thing. That is more than wasteful, its sinful!

I worked with a woman who used to shop loads and she told me she had thrown away 6 black sacks of clothes, all like new and many designer names. I said about donating them to a charity shop and she said she couldn't be bothered. Her household had three cars too so it wasn't as if she couldn't get the clothes to the shop!:mad:
  • I worked with a woman who used to shop loads and she told me she had thrown away 6 black sacks of clothes, all like new and many designer names. I said about donating them to a charity shop and she said she couldn't be bothered. Her household had three cars too so it wasn't as if she couldn't get the clothes to the shop!:mad:

Wednesday isn't that ridiculous.!

The old saying
    "The longer I live the harder it is to understand people" !!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure