Sliding doors to hard to push open - I think I was missold

2»

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Thanks so much for advice.....

peacyprice...I tried the same doors but a bit smaller, BUT was assured that at the size I wanted, they would run the same.

Shakazulu...I have now contacted the manufacturer and they will be coming out in November to confirm if the doors are operating correctly.

Macman...don't want to try anything yet as they should have told me if I need to "grease" the tracks

Nyerman - I spoke to my home insurance provider as have free legal cover, and they also said that the not fit for purpose was the best route to pursue if necessary....though, I have nothing in writing to say that the installer said they would work easily, so it would be my word against his. I am however gathering evidence from other installers and the manufacturer has a showroom that I plan to visit to confirm if the doors would operate smoothly at the size I ordered.

November :eek: its only september. why so long, bet they would come out quicker if you wanted to buy something.

i would try some candle wax, but those doors are huge so the glass is very heavy ( i dont know what a lift and slide door is)
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 September 2017 at 4:13PM
    I spoke to my home insurance provider as have free legal cover, and they also said that the not fit for purpose was the best route to pursue if necessary....though, I have nothing in writing to say that the installer said they would work easily, so it would be my word against his.

You seem to be muddling two different things - 'not fit for purpose' and 'not as described'.

'Not fit for purpose' doesn't depend on what the installer said. It's whether the doors are good enough to do what they are intended to do

I guess patio doors are intended to be opened and closed relatively easily - so it sounds like your doors are not good enough to do what they are intended to do - i.e. not fit for purpose.

But since the installer said that the doors would be "easy to open and close" - you have the alternative/additional 'ammunition' that they are 'not as described'.
  • I have now contacted the manufacturer and they will be coming out in November to confirm if the doors are operating correctly.
    photome wrote: »
    November :eek: its only september. why so long
    I agree two months is far too long for them to take sending someone around to inspect the doors. Insist that they come within a few days, not months..:eek:

Why is the manufacturer involved? You should be dealing with whoever supplied and fitted..
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I definitely would involve the manufacturer - they need to know if the product they are making is not working as intended or the supplier is making a mess up of the installation.

I would write to both manufacturer and supplier/installer and head it COMPLAINT. Be factual and leave emotions and you 11 year old out of it and say I expect to see the manufacturers technician next week.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    From a technical point of view, I would get hold of a Newton meter and have a go at measuring the force required to slide the door open.

I would then ask the manufacturer what specification and tolerance their door opening force is.

Any manufacturer will have this information, as doors will need to be opened without excessive force, so this will be something that is tested.

It could be that the doors are not fitted correctly causing excessive friction.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I agree two months is far too long for them to take sending someone around to inspect the doors. Insist that they come within a few days, not months..:eek:

Why is the manufacturer involved? You should be dealing with whoever supplied and fitted..

I assumed the manufacturer and supplier/fitters were one and the same.

I am pricing up some french doors at mo and everywhere i have been will make them for me and fit.

cant find anyone who will supply A rated doors though:(
  • photome wrote: »
    I assumed the manufacturer and supplier/fitters were one and the same.
    OP referred to installers who denied any wrong-doing in post #1, the OP then mentions contacting the manufacturers in a later post.

Regardless, two months is far too long to be waiting for a remedy
  • I have asked the manufacturer for this information and they are not supplying it. They fob me off with the biz dev guy for our region, who is saying let's wait for the engineers report.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure