Salary advice

Hi,

Looking for some advice around my salary and what I should do next.

I’ve recently secured a new role in work, lets call it a band B, I was already a band B in my old role but this one has more responsibility and remit. 2 of the people on the team have a salary of £33-34k mine is £30k. They both started the role on 32k but have had increases over 2-3 year period.

On securing the job, I asked about salary but was advised it would be reviewed in April due to company pay review.

I accepted this but now I have been advised that there is no increase for side to side movement. My manager recognised there was a substantial difference but has today been told by their senior manager that there is no side to side increase.

At first I thought I could accept this, but today I’ve found out another person who was recruited at the same time was a band A and is moving to a band B for the first time (I have 3 years experience in band B) has been given a 10% salary increase as they are moving from a lower band to a higher band and this takes their salary to £31,800. £1,800 above my own salary.

My manager has been fantastic, and I really believe she’s done everything she can and has now said it’s down to me what I do. What I think she means is whether I raise a grievance or whether I let it go.

I wanted to understand your views on whether you think a £3,000 pay gap at starting wage, or a £1,800 pay gap between a less experienced now peer is unfair and whether I should look at the next stage?

Look forward to hearing your advice.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Unless the pay differs because of a protected characteristic then there's nothing you can really do, except have a moan.

Sounds like the second (irrelevant) person is quite high in band A as they must be on close to 30k if a 10% raise takes them to £31,800. You are, I assumed, at the low end of Band B despite three years exp.

They are moving up a band. You are not. Clearly they think they are worth £1.8k more than you.

Whether you're happy with this is up to you.
  • Agree it does sound unfair, sounds a bit like a previous company I worked for, the people who worked their way up always got much less than people coming in from the outside.

It won't hurt you to keep pushing for a pay rise, but the best thing to do is put the experience you're getting from this role down on your CV and leave.
  • MK55
    MK55 Posts: 286 Forumite
    Hi both,

Thank you for your response. I will speak to my manager tomorrow and if not speak with my feet, I just can't see past it so I think I'm better off finding something else.

Thank you
  • 2k difference? Honestly, I'd be SOOOO grateful for just £26-28k.....with so many of us (millions) on minimum wage-ish, and so many unemployed you should probably just be happy you're making that sort of money at all. It's so far beyond the dreams of myself (and so many I know) who graft day in day out....for years.
  • goatfertility, different jobs have different pay, responsibilities etc.

I wouldn't be happy doing the same job as somebody else for less money. If you have the same experience and bring sufficient skills, then that's not on. If you don't have all skills, then it may be justifiable. The Band A person may have been going above and beyond, so that's someone to remove from consideration.

If it doesn't sit right and you currently have a job so you aren't against any time pressure, then don't accept.
    Good luck
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Ask to go back to your old role with less responsibility for the same wage
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    depending on how you get on with your manager some hints you are seriously not happy with this may be an idea,
    I only got the job because I was cheap,
    what you want me to leave,
    you clearly don't value me,

the error was accepting the job without knowing the pay, that was the time to hold out for the pay you wanted.

On securing the job, I asked about salary but was advised it would be reviewed in April due to company pay review.
    I said
    [STRIKE]I accepted this[/STRIKE] I will wait till April then.
  • It might be unfair. It doesn't matter. It might be unfair in your favour...they might be worth more than 2k more than you are. Might be less.

Unless this is the public sector all that matters is are you going to leave if they don't pay you more. if the answer is no, they won't pay you more. If the answer if yes, they will pay you more if they think you are worth it.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    2k difference? Honestly, I'd be SOOOO grateful for just £26-28k.....with so many of us (millions) on minimum wage-ish, and so many unemployed you should probably just be happy you're making that sort of money at all. It's so far beyond the dreams of myself (and so many I know) who graft day in day out....for years.

Careful you don't choke on that bitter pill, it's obviously quite hard to swallow.
  • enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Start getting your CV and supporting letter together and start the enjoyable process of looking for a new job.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport