Recommendations for replacement of HP SR2125UK

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    So this is not attacking, you are not referring to me?

May I suggest that instead of making it all about you, why not post a good deal for the OP?
  • NiftyDigits
    Acer K242HYL 23.8" IPS LED Monitor £89.98

Argos has the Lenovo equivalent here; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Celeron-8GB-2TB-1-6GHz-Windows-10-Desktop-Tower-Black-Argos-/361527040525 for £180.
    They are described as Manufacturer refurbished, but since they have already sold 555 of them, I guess they'll be in 'as new' condition.

jo6.jpg

It's better than the HP in that the processor is a fair bit better, but I'm certainly not recommending it. But if it suits.

The PC here(Zoostorm Delta Light Intel Core i3-6100 Desktop PC, 128GB SSD, 8GB, Win 10, DVD-RW) and the monitor above are just about within budget and offer a far superior specification,
    You can add a Mini USB Wifi Adapter for as little as £2.38 to add wireless capability or £6.99 for a Dual Band 802.11ac wireless adapter

Zoostorm have a Delta Micro version for £10 less, if space is at a serious premium. But it has no DVD drive and probably limited expandability.

Delta Micro

Zoostorm-Delta-Micro-Right.jpg

Delta Light

804426-783649-800.jpg
  • NiftyDigits
    Example of £300 PC;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoostorm-i3-6100-Dual-Core-Desktop-PC-128GB-SSD-8GB-Win-10-DVD-RW-/262934178264?hash=item3d381929d8

image.jpg

jo1.jpg

CPU is RUBBISH. I don't understand why someone would suggest that is is acceptable at that price.

For comparison, the benchmark of the CPU in the nine year old Compaq Presario SR2125UK

jo7.jpg

As you can see, the Pentium N3050 is hardly a great leap forward in terms of processing power.
  • NiftyDigits
    As an aside, the ten year old(released December 2006) Compaq Presario SR2125UK still has some upgrade-ability and therefore some life in it, for not too much of a spend.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 for less than £10 via eBay.

jo8.jpg

2 GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-5300 DESKTOP RAM £3.

So £16 for a CPU and 4 GB RAM upgrade that can run any Windows OS smoothly and easily. You could even put an SSD in there for optimal performance.

Even if you are afraid to attempt a CPU upgrade(no reason to be), the RAM upgrade for £3 to £6(if still on 1GB) and a clean install of Windows would improve things considerably. Further to that, swapping the mechanical drive with a solid state drive costing £45 would transform the performance.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi

Most PC's that you can buy will be adequate for the kind of usage you mentioned.

If you break the problem down into smaller chunks, then it may look a little different.

EG: Consider a shop that would add in the old HDD to the new one to give a new storage area. The original spec was a 160 gig, so it may well be that 2000 gig is an overkill, and some of the budget could be spent on one with an SSD.

The monitor can be sourced at the same time, or separately etc etc.

So I think that a visit to a local shop or two and a national chain and ask about the type of warranty it would come with. This may give a sense of what/who you will dealing with.

If you then get a specification from someone you feel comfortable with, post it here and get some reviews.
  • NiftyDigits
    johndough wrote: »
    Hi

Most PC's that you can buy will be adequate for the kind of usage you mentioned.

If you break the problem down into smaller chunks, then it may look a little different.

EG: Consider a shop that would add in the old HDD to the new one to give a new storage area. The original spec was a 160 gig, so it may well be that 2000 gig is an overkill, and some of the budget could be spent on one with an SSD.

The monitor can be sourced at the same time, or separately etc etc.

So I think that a visit to a local shop or two and a national chain and ask about the type of warranty it would come with. This may give a sense of what/who you will dealing with.

If you then get a specification from someone you feel comfortable with, post it here and get some reviews.

Even the original PC with the £60 worth of upgrades would do it. The main issues being whether the OP has the confidence/time to carry out the upgrades and when other components might begin to fail on a ten year old PC. They may last for years, but who knows?
    Either way, the SSD can be moved to another machine when the time comes, so to upgrade the current machine is an inexpensive solution, as all the old data will be intact on the mechanical drive and Windows can be installed afresh on the SSD.

Unlikely they will get a better monitor for the price indicated in my post. Leaving £260 to £310 in the budget for the PC.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Jo4 wrote: »
    That one had been £349 and then it was reduced and the one I provided the link for became available for the same price. I thought when it had twice the RAM and hard drive that it was a good buy.

Obviously I don't know though or I wouldn't be asking for help and getting it wrong.

£205 at amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Slimline-411-a000na-Desktop-Processor/dp/B01KM4ZAFI

- and that looks ideal for the uses mentioned: he does not need a gaming machine. You are getting all kinds of recommendations, which are not heeding what is actually needed: a basic PC.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Guys, be realistic. Think Jo4 just wants something that works out of the box, rather than install or swap SSD hard disks, or source a compatible cpu upgrade of ebay

What about a good second laptop with a year warranty for possibly around £200. The cpu is faster than the HP Slimline 411-a000na Desktop PC, not as good as the i3-6100, but not that far from it. Yes, it is not a desktop.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Windows-10-Laptop-i5-2520M-2-50GHz-4GB-Ram-250GB-Warranty-/232194704148?
  • NiftyDigits
    were wrote: »
    Guys, be realistic. Think Jo4 just wants something that works out of the box, rather than install or swap SSD hard disks, or source a compatible cpu upgrade of ebay

What about a good second laptop with a year warranty for possibly around £200. The cpu is faster than the HP Slimline 411-a000na Desktop PC, not as good as the i3-6100, but not that far from it. Yes, it is not a desktop.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Windows-10-Laptop-i5-2520M-2-50GHz-4GB-Ram-250GB-Warranty-/232194704148?

Realistic?? Is this just a joke that fell flat?

You remonstrate with us for suggesting that there is also a possibility of upgrading the current machine, (whether for the seventy year old or simply to pass it on to someone else who it suits), but then you come up with the absolutely ludicrous suggestion of purchasing a five year old laptop with a screen a good twenty five centimetres in diameter less than the OP's initial suggestion.

I'm sure the seventy year old would relish the idea of peering at a relatively small low resolution screen.....

Seriously, one of the strangest suggestions I have seen here in a while....and there have been a few.
  • NiftyDigits
    Robisere wrote: »
    £205 at amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Slimline-411-a000na-Desktop-Processor/dp/B01KM4ZAFI

- and that looks ideal for the uses mentioned: he does not need a gaming machine. You are getting all kinds of recommendations, which are not heeding what is actually needed: a basic PC.

??

Who is not taking heed? Methinks it is you.

£349 included a 24" monitor and a different model of PC with 8GB of RAM and 2TB HDD. In addition, the OP asked us about that particular bundle and set the budget, It wasn't one we suggested to her.... the CPU is crud.
    I am simply suggesting better machines for within the same budget.

Also, perhaps you didn't notice that I posted Lenovo IdeaCentre 300S Celeron N3150 8GB 2TB Windows 10 Desktop Tower at £179.99

Don't just rush in like a bull in a china shop thinking that you are putting the world to rights. We are all doing our best to help the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure