PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a houseboat

Options

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The aqua marine prices were for narrowboats.

We have eventually, after pulling teeth, established this is a widebeam.

Ramsgate marina does offer liveaboard moorings. See section 4:

http://www.portoframsgate.co.uk/media/3757138/T_and_Cs_Draft_2017.pdf
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    Options
    Personally if i was taking this route i'd be going somewhere much further South and clement... ;)
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Thanks

Glad it wasn't me!

Have to think how to get it to Ramsgate too - assuming a mooring was available!

In theory, sail it down the R Stour, then across Pegwell Bay on an extremely calm day! About 3 miles.

In practice, for that location is a canal boat necessary, or the best option?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »

Actually, no. You weren't pulling teeth. I was (am) very new to this so wasn't entirely sure what was going on. I provided information as I was getting used to the idea and the questions being asked

Folks on here have been very helpful. My initial question clearly asked for those with experience to comment. I am very grateful for your input but it would be useful to know what actual experience you have of houseboat/narrowboat ownership. Because - you don't need to be so snarky twice

Anyway - moving on. Sparky good for you. But I love this area - a lot of what I have (my partner, my friends, my volunteering, my work) are here. I don't want to go anywhere else. So -it's a possible opportunity for something a bit different. It may be a good idea - it may be a rubbish idea - but posts have helped me focus on how to move forward. Thank you

In the end, as has been posted on here many times, a property (houseboat) is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. This is, most likely, a one off opportunity which may be worth paying a premium for

We'll see!
  • GDB2222
    Options
    G_M wrote: »

I am sure the OP is capable of researching boat prices. I have found 60 ft widebeams secondhand for around the £60k mark. I haven't investigated all the new-build ones.

The key point is to separate the cost of the boat from the cost of the mooring, and the OP has taken this on board. And, if he chooses to ignore that advice because he's doing the mid-life equivalent of buying a Harley, that's completely up to him. :)

Incidentally, check out free harbours. If you want cheap living, buy a cheap boat and forget about mooring fees :
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?241870-Blakeney-Britains-only-free-harbour
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having had a canal and stayed in family's static caravan :

Is the water supply mains ?

It looks as though sewage may have pump out cost.

Is it connected to the electricity mains ? All electric heating may be more expensive than mains gas.

Calor gas is not as good as mains gas for cooking. My son's static's oven takes ages to reach temperature and that, too me, doesn't seem as hot as the control suggests. My son has a mains gas cooker at home so can make a comparison and wouldn't risk cooking something like chicken on container gas.

Is tv reception good enough ? An aerial or dish on the actual craft would be prone to losing signal when the boat is disturbed by rough water or passing craft.

It's unlikely that you could get a landline, so would you be happy with using mobile internet, which can work out expensive ?

For about half that price,you could buy a lovely static caravan and annual fees on a small site would be much lower, though you would still have the same gas and internet problems. Many sites do have a restriction on the time you can reside and this may involve moving out for at least 6 weeks per year, unless the site is registered as residential, because of regulations.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    Thank you very much for this teddysmum. Lots of good stuff - especially, for me anyway, the Internet/TV questions. Bloke alone and all that! Exactly what I was looking for

Static caravan. No. It's the marina life thing that attracts me!
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know nothing about house boats or marinas - but I know lots about cats!

Just a thought - whilst I appreciate a cat could roam further than the boat / mooring, will it be a safe area for the cat? Would it be easy for the cat to get on someone else's boat and for them to take off? Is there enough room for you and a cat so that it's not restricted to space that's too small for its wellbeing? Are there sensible places for a cat litter tray (as it won't have a garden to poo in and you don't want it pooing around the marina!)? Etc. :)
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • NeilCr
    Options
    KiKi wrote: »
    I know nothing about house boats or marinas - but I know lots about cats!

Just a thought - whilst I appreciate a cat could roam further than the boat / mooring, will it be a safe area for the cat? Would it be easy for the cat to get on someone else's boat and for them to take off? Is there enough room for you and a cat so that it's not restricted to space that's too small for its wellbeing? Are there sensible places for a cat litter tray (as it won't have a garden to poo in and you don't want it pooing around the marina!)? Etc. :)

I know Kiki!

Rodney's wellbeing is high on my agenda

He is FIV so can't go out and I have to consider how it will affect him. He isn't the most active of cats but has a house to roam around in now. And, yep, dirttrays!

And, as and when he passes on (think he has got a lot of years in him yet) I'll want another cat/cats. If it isn't good for him I won't buy it. Simple as that
  • GDB2222
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I know Kiki!

Rodney's wellbeing is high on my agenda

He is FIV so can't go out and I have to consider how it will affect him. He isn't the most active of cats but has a house to roam around in now. And, yep, dirttrays!

And, as and when he passes on (think he has got a lot of years in him yet) I'll want another cat/cats. If it isn't good for him I won't buy it. Simple as that

Can I ask what you will do with your house? Will you sell it to finance the boat, or let it out?

What does FIV mean?

Edit: And we called our cat Gloves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure