In desperate need of advise re: no tax.

Comments

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    We've all gone without tax and no insurance at some point. Mostly tax.

No we haven't. I have been driving for more than 53 years, and I have never done this. Just saying.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Several years ago we changed fleet policies and despite constantly badgering the broker and insurer none of the vehicles ever appeared on the MID database. These were lorries and vans and reps covering 100k+ a year past numerous ANPR camera.
    The man without a signature.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Get it insured NOW, you can do that online and at least the worst offence is dealt with and with luck (a lot of luck) won't bite you.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    iolanthe07 wrote: »

No we haven't. I have been driving for more than 53 years, and I have never done this. Just saying.

Not always the driver/owner's fault. When my insurance came in with an extra charge for Green Flag, I phoned up and cancelled the Green Flag element. By mistake (and the company eventually reviewed the phone call and agreed with me) they cancelled my whole policy. Took a while to sort out, but I was holding what I assumed was a valid insurance certificate, yet for a cancelled policy.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It is now taxed, so that is fine. Get it insured immediately and change the address over on the log book and driving license.

As for a fine? If he has driven past an ANPR camera with no tax, then chances are there will be a fine. It will have been sent to the registered address though...

He needs to visit or write to the occupants of this address asking if there is any post, and perhaps it might be worthwhile checking his credit rating to see if there is any CCJ against him?!

Are you sure this person is safe to be in charge of a baby???
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    WorriedBea wrote: »
    What is the fine that comes when you pass one of the tax checking camera's. Is it unlimited? Could he have been caught out every time he's driven to work? Could there be thousands and thousands of pounds worth of fines waiting for us?

Each individual offence has a limit on the amount however as you quite rightly suppose, technically he can be caught out every day he has driven to work. You wouldn't receive a pile of individual fines for the tax rather one fine with a large bill for unpaid tax.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I would check to see if he has been banned but doesn't know about it.

No insurance can carry 6 points. If he has been summonsed at an old address he may have accrued points.

Check here
    https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    iolanthe07 wrote: »

I have been driving for more than 53 years, and I have never done this.

Ooh aren't you good. :D
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2017 at 5:25PM
    waamo wrote: »
    I would check to see if he has been banned but doesn't know about it.

No insurance can carry 6 points. If he has been summonsed at an old address he may have accrued points.

Check here
    https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Unlikely this has happened, as they don't know that he was driving the car with no insurance, as he was never stopped and ticketed. The car could have been driven by some one with "driving other vehicles" cover.

Most likely, there is a fine for breaching continuous insurance regulations to the registered keeper which is £100 and no endorsement.
    There will also be a fine for no tax, and a penalty of the missing tax.
    Both of these are generated automatically by "The Computer" on a time related basis.

These may have gone to court now as they would have been ignored, and may be in the hands of court appointed debt recovery.

Still a good idea to check, as a speeding ticket ignored can also land you with 6 points for failing to name the driver.

You can however, apply to have the fines and points reset and taken back to court if you were totally unaware of them.

Try taking this to pepipoo dot com for some advice on how to find out what has happened, and what to do about it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    facade wrote: »
    Unlikely this has happened, as they don't know that he was driving the car with no insurance, as he was never stopped and ticketed. The car could have been driven by some one with "driving other vehicles" cover.

Most likely, there is a fine for breaching continuous insurance regulations to the registered keeper which is £100 and no endorsement.
    There will also be a fine for no tax, and a penalty of the missing tax.
    Both of these are generated automatically by "The Computer" on a time related basis.

These may have gone to court now as they would have been ignored, and may be in the hands of court appointed debt recovery.

Still a good idea to check, as a speeding ticket ignored can also land you with 6 points for failing to name the driver.

You can however, apply to have the fines and points reset and taken back to court if you were totally unaware of them.

Try taking this to pepipoo dot com for some advice on how to find out what has happened, and what to do about it.

Yes, a section 172 prosecution is the probable outcome if a report has been made.

It's highly unlikely but worth the 30 seconds it takes to check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure