PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What to do about house ex won't remorage to take name off

2»

Comments

• Totally agree GM.., its all too easy to get into a very awkward position when you just live together. People did warn me when I did this.., and they were right unfortunately.
  • Riggyman
    Riggyman Posts: 185 Forumite
    Just buy the house in your name and make sure your live in partner has a rent book... :T
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What was his response when you said that if he couldn't take your name off the mortgage, you would go to court to sell?

I think you need to treat him like the kid is acting like. The status quo is not an option as all risk to you and nothing to gain. Him having a mortgage alone not an option either as clearly, if he could, he would have dealt with it by now. So it leaves selling and there are two ways about it, you do it amicably or you do it through the court which will cost both of you money, without taking into account what will go to solicitors.

Write to him and make all this clear and a suggestion to 'act like adults'.
  • I hope this helps:

I bought a house with my (now former) wife in 2005. We divorced & a few years later. The house was in joint names as was the Mortgage. She couldn't raise the money to buy me out or re-mortgage. She refused to sell. Issue being my name is on both the mortgage & deeds, and I wanted to protect myself (financially).

Via a solicitor I obtained a Consent Order such that my former wife agreed not to re-mortgage or raise finances n the property, would agree to pay the mortgage payments and insure me against any financial loss. In return she gets the house.

The building society have copies of the documents & they agreed to this. If my ex breaches the order, she is committing contempt of court & gets 6 months.

This was the only way I could protect my self.

If you want any specific details, PM me and I'll point you in the direction of the law used.

HTH

FJ
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I hope this helps:

I bought a house with my (now former) wife in 2005. We divorced & a few years later. The house was in joint names as was the Mortgage. She couldn't raise the money to buy me out or re-mortgage. She refused to sell. Issue being my name is on both the mortgage & deeds, and I wanted to protect myself (financially).

Via a solicitor I obtained a Consent Order such that my former wife agreed not to re-mortgage or raise finances n the property, would agree to pay the mortgage payments and insure me against any financial loss. In return she gets the house.

The building society have copies of the documents & they agreed to this. If my ex breaches the order, she is committing contempt of court & gets 6 months.

This was the only way I could protect my self.

If you want any specific details, PM me and I'll point you in the direction of the law used.

HTH

FJ
    How fully are you covered though? If she defaults on the payments the mortgage company can still chase you. You would then have to enforce the order. I imagine a judge could order the sale of the house - what would it serve to put her inside - are you sure of this aspect?

If you wanted to apply for a mortgage you still have the problem of your name on an existing mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure