List of Banks not doing contactless cards

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    To go back to the original question - Nationwide are not currently offering such a card and apparently have no plans for one
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    simax wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of someone being able to get all my card details (minus CVV) from brushing past my pocket (not easily done now but technology is moving very fast so by the time contactless is in the majority of peoples wallets the devices used to "skim" contactless cards will be tiny).
    By that time, I'd say most people will have 2 or more contact-less cards in there wallets (one debit and one credit card), so the chance of someone brushing past your pocket and stealing your details will be like 0%, so thieves won't bother for the slim chance of someone only carrying a single card.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dzug1 wrote: »
    To go back to the original question - Nationwide are not currently offering such a card and apparently have no plans for one

Ahhh cool. That's who I have my current account with :)
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    LHW99 wrote: »
    You can opt out of having a contactless card if you are with First Direct (or HSBC presumably). We were told by the 1st Direct phone operator that this wasn't possible, so we emailed one of the ladies mentioned in their article0f 08/05/12 "first direct Launches Contactless"
    and mentioned this article published on the web in guardian money 09/05/12 "HSBC joins contactless payments movement"
    (Sorry - new member so I can't post the links)

We have now got a debit card without the contactless option - but were told this opt-out is not being advertised!

From Which?
    "HSBC has also said that customers who don’t want this type of card can opt out by contacting their local HSBC branch."
    http://conversation.which.co.uk/money/contactless-cards-minimum-payment-problems/
  • Rotti
    Rotti Posts: 232 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just had my first contact with contactless cards. HSBC sent me one when my debit card expired and I didn't really take much notice - don't use the kind of places that take these like Starbucks and don't possess an Oyster Card, so really didn't know what it was all about. Until a policeman friend updated me that is! I was not aware that the information can be read from you just by someone walking past with a scanner - how ridiculous is that? And in an age of heightened security surely it is a backwards step in the name of convenience? They might only work for small transactions but if they clone enough of the same card they could hit you hard and then you are the one that has the hassle of getting the money back and being without a card while it is replaced. I called HSBC and was told a large survey was done - nobody surveyed me! I told them I didn't want ANY contactless cards as I considered them a liability and they are sending a chip and pin replacement. I have to wonder how many others there are out there who don't realise the full implications of these things. And I also have to say I object to some of the moronic name calling that goes on when the "super-cool" techies have a go at sensible cautious people who balance their card and bank accounts to the penny and keep a close eye on things - never mind, you will too when you grow up!
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2012 at 10:08AM
    Rotti wrote: »
    Until a policeman friend updated me that is! I was not aware that the information can be read from you just by someone walking past with a scanner - how ridiculous is that?
    And in an age of heightened security surely it is a backwards step in the name of convenience?
    They might only work for small transactions but if they clone enough of the same card they could hit you hard and then you are the one that has the hassle of getting the money back and being without a card while it is replaced!

So did the policeman also say that it has to be within 10cm to be able to read the card.... And that if you have more than 1 contactless card that they don't work....
    I guess not.

Did he also say that evey time you use your card in a retailer. That they keep the FULL card number.... I'll let you ponder on the implications on that fact.
    I guess not.

For your security you had better go back and ask to have your new chip/pin card replaced with a cash card. Opps sorry forgot that your card could be cloaned at a atm....
    Better ask for a cheque book...
    Ah, sorry these can be intercepted or altered.

Hey tell you what just stick to cash and all the risk that walking around with cash in your pocket raises.
    I'm sure your policeman friend will be able to advise you on this..:rotfl:

So in the name of convenience. Banks have provided customers and retailer something a large % have asked for... Faster processing of small payments made via card.

You might also be surprised to know that quite a high % of police officers get caught in the fraud trap.... So despite them being experts in banking, they can't avoid the risks involved in daily card transactions.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Agreed most methods of payment are open to theft, fraud etc. Nevertheless, I have nowhere to use contactless, and since I can opt out of having a credit card if I want, I see no reason why banks should insist I go contactless.
    For information - RBS can also issue non-contactless cards if requested, though it took staff two attempts before they worked out the correct procedure for requesting this.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    LHW99 wrote: »
    Agreed most methods of payment are open to theft, fraud etc. Nevertheless, I have nowhere to use contactless, and since I can opt out of having a credit card if I want, I see no reason why banks should insist I go contactless.

Because Visa & Mastercard are pushing it. More and more retailers will soon have contactless terminals.

Do not get how, opt out of a credit card. has anything to do with opting out of contactless.

At a guess in a year or two. There will be no opt out on contactless. As the cost of producing the odd non contactless card will be to high.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • nzseries1 wrote: »
    For those in London, they stop your oyster card from working through your wallet when both cards are in your wallet together. HUGELY annoying.

It's not really "progress" if it makes life more annoying, is it.

So that's why my Oyster card hasn't been working unless I remove it from my wallet. I thought it was wearing out due to age or something. Turns out the last debit card Lloyds TSB sent me was a wireless card, and they didn't even let me know. (It has the little wireless logo on it, that I didn't until now know to look for.) Incredibly annoying, and how dare they suggest that a card that can be used to pay up to £20 without any security checks at all is somehow as secure as one that needs a PIN to be entered.
  • dalesrider wrote: »
    So in the name of convenience. Banks have provided customers and retailer something a large % have asked for... Faster processing of small payments made via card.

Really? Where's your evidence for such an assertion? It seems clear to me, from this forum and other sources, that there are a great many, like me, who have had this forced on them whether they like it or not. And we're all entitled to our opinions without others being sarcastic and calling us "luddites" etc.

I have been the victim of fraud and I have an Oyster card - and I don't see why I have to change my behaviour to something less convenient for me (like keeping al the cards separate) just because the bank want to do something.

We should have the choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport