Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    davholla wrote: »
    Has anyone paid for future flights with Barclays visa debit? If so have you contacted the bank? (Asking for a friend, who was told to contact Monarch).

Get them to start the chargeback process, it can take some time to get a refund, but it will happen. They will always try to be the last option to reclaim money, but in this case I think they are the only option. Be patient it can take some time as the claims rack up and they decide how to deal with the situation, but they will get there in the end. Don't take no for an answer, read up on chargeback on the main web page so they can't fob you off. After Low Cost Holidays last year you'd think they'd be a bit more clued up.
  • Please can anyone advise me.
    On Thursday I received a code from Monarch EU claims for £1685 in compensation for a 6 hour flight delay in August. I chose the credit vouchers as it meant I got 20% more and as we fly Monarch it made sense.
    All I have is the email confirmation of my compensation with the voucher code for £1685. I only got it on Thursday and I'm devastated as you can imagine. I'm a single mum with 3 disabled girls , this was going to pay for flights for other breaks for us.
    As Monarch were paying under the EU Claims for flight delay rules and the credit vouchers cannot be used do I have any rights to claim at all?
    Please please help
    Thanks so much
  • davholla
    davholla Posts: 523 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    Get them to start the chargeback process, it can take some time to get a refund, but it will happen. They will always try to be the last option to reclaim money, but in this case I think they are the only option. Be patient it can take some time as the claims rack up and they decide how to deal with the situation, but they will get there in the end. Don't take no for an answer, read up on chargeback on the main web page so they can't fob you off. After Low Cost Holidays last year you'd think they'd be a bit more clued up.
    Thank you and to be honest the lack of clueness that some have is amazing.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Did Aplharooms sell you a true package holiday?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    JoJoClow wrote: »
    Please can anyone advise me.
    On Thursday I received a code from Monarch EU claims for £1685 in compensation for a 6 hour flight delay in August. I chose the credit vouchers as it meant I got 20% more and as we fly Monarch it made sense.
    All I have is the email confirmation of my compensation with the voucher code for £1685. I only got it on Thursday and I'm devastated as you can imagine. I'm a single mum with 3 disabled girls , this was going to pay for flights for other breaks for us.
    As Monarch were paying under the EU Claims for flight delay rules and the credit vouchers cannot be used do I have any rights to claim at all?
    Please please help
    Thanks so much

I'm sorry but I think not.

You will become a creditor of the business which has entered into administration.
  • But how would they know when you arrived if you are travelling with a different airline?

According to MSE here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights#noatol

CAA are organising return flights for ALL passengers up to 15th, regardless of if they are currently abroad or not. Currently debating whether to cancel back-up flights but wish the CAA themselves would put this in writing.
  • katiepants
    katiepants Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have an ATOL certificate and also paid with a Credit Card. Am I better claiming a refund through CC company or via ATOL?
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
  • N4t4lie
    katiepants wrote: »
    I have an ATOL certificate and also paid with a Credit Card. Am I better claiming a refund through CC company or via ATOL?

If you booked direct with Monarch you need to claim via the CAA, form does not seem to be available yet apparently.

If you booked via a travel agent or intermediary get in touch with them and they should offer a refund or alternative holiday.

In this case you shouldn't have to go to the credit card. Hope that helps.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I feel sorry for all those parents who booked Santa trips to Lapland , Monarch were the only direct flyers to Kittila during the winter and did many of the packages , it's a long flight if not direct assuming you can find flights

Hopefully someone may take up the option to fly to Kittila
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • N4t4lie
    JoJoClow wrote: »
    Please can anyone advise me.
    Please please help
    Thanks so much

You can try to register as an unsecured creditor with the administrators KPMG. Chances of a refund are low, but when they have finished with the administration process and fully wound up the company any cash left is split as an amount per pound owed. You may not get the whole lot back, but you may get something. GOV(dot)UK web site has an overview of the process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure