PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling - 1 Viewing in 2 weeks

Comments

• You tell me what's worse... the fact that I signed up to express my concern of someone potentially illegally subletting? Or the fact that you stalked me enough to recognise I registered to reply to your post?

Don't be so hostile and you might sell your house....
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dreysha wrote: »
    You tell me what's worse... the fact that I signed up to express my concern of someone potentially illegally subletting? Or the fact that you stalked me enough to recognise I registered to reply to your post?

Don't be so hostile and you might sell your house....

You clearly don't understand how forums work. The 'total posts' to the left of your post, that said (at the time of my reply) 'Join Date: July 2017' and 'Posts: 1' doesn't take much to work out.

I'm not being hostile - I am taking people's advice on board but I've not come on here to be accused of 'illegal subletting' and am well within my rights to defend myself.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    gazfocus wrote: »
    Well, smart !!!!, by definition, a shared ownership house is always going to be leasehold. When you staircase to 100% you get the freehold.

Will you ? Is that a guarantee ?
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Well, smart !!!!, by definition, a shared ownership house is always going to be leasehold. When you staircase to 100% you get the freehold.

Put it this way - if I was looking to buy a house in your area, I'm smart enough not to even consider viewing yours and, it would seem, so is everyone else :rotfl:
  • You're absolutely right because I don't need to seek advice from others on a forum on how to sell my house. I'm very proficient in shared ownership purchases and sales and know how to sell one without assistance.

Good luck, you'll need it if you don't think tactfully and clearly about how it's being marketed...
  • gazfocus
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Will you ? Is that a guarantee ?

Yes as it's in the lease.
  • gazfocus
    Dreysha wrote: »
    I'm very proficient in shared ownership purchases and sales and know how to sell one without assistance.

Of course you are...
  • gazfocus
    Put it this way - if I was looking to buy a house in your area, I'm smart enough not to even consider viewing yours and, it would seem, so is everyone else :rotfl:

Look, I didn't come on here to get abused or cause arguments, I came looking for advice (which is what forums are intended for). Yes I have a shared ownership house and that puts certain people off (which I admitted in my first post) but that doesn't make the house unsaleable so just stop being a douche and don't comment if you can't say someone helpful.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 11:33PM
    I agree that the biggest stumbling block is it being shared ownership.
    after only 2 weeks that is your reason ... end of discussion?

shared ownership will appeal to a very limited market

just look at it from the point of view what is it competing with and who will be the potential viewers/buyers of those places:

you reckon it is "worth" 140k

anyone who can afford 140k outright is not going to touch 50% SO obviously.
    if you market at 140k 100% there are 2 other properties within 1 mile of yours. I have no idea about the area so of course this may be wrong, but how does your 140k 3 bed semi compare to the other 3 bed semi in your area - the one priced at 15k less than you????
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66027164.html

yes yours [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was new build, but the other place offers much, much, greater value for money: room size, plot size, etc

anyone who is restricted to 72k budget can buy 100% of a 3 bed terraced for around 72k (although the EA they are using do have a bad reputation for how they deal with purchase negotiations)
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60728818.html

and returning to the SO question, yes such buyers are on tight budgets by definition, but you want 72k for 3 bed semi. These people want 75K for 4 bed 50% SO. I'd raid the wife and MIL's purses to raise merely an "insignificant" (?) extra 5k for the sake of a 4th bedroom
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60092917.html

summary
    • it will take time to sell
    • its SO,
    • it will get viewers once the current crop of competitors are off the market
  • gazfocus
    00ec25 wrote: »
    after only 2 weeks that is your reason ... end of discussion?

shared ownership will appeal to a very limited market

just look at it from the point of view what is it competing with and who will be the potential viewers/buyers of those places:

you reckon it is "worth" 140k

anyone who can afford 140k outright is not going to touch 50% SO obviously.
    if you market at 140k 100% there are 2 other properties within 1 mile of yours. I have no idea about the area so of course this may be wrong, but how does your 140k 3 bed semi compare to the other 3 bed semi in your area - the one priced at 15k less than you????
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66027164.html

yes yours [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was new build, but the other place offers much, much, greater value for money: room size, plot size, etc

anyone who is restricted to 72k budget can buy 100% of a 3 bed terraced for around 72k (although the EA they are using do have a bad reputation for how they deal with purchase negotiations)
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60728818.html

and returning to the SO question, yes such buyers are on tight budgets by definition, but you want 72k for 3 bed semi. These people want 75K for 4 bed 50% SO. I'd raid the wife and MIL's purses to raise merely an insignificant extra 3k for the sake of a 4th bedroom
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60092917.html

summary
    • it will take time to sell
    • its SO,
    • it will get viewers once the current crop of competitors are off the market
    Thanks for taking the time to look.

The 4 bed shared ownership house at £77,500 is a good buy, I completely respect that. I have only valued my house at £72,000 because that's what a mortgage valuer valued it at and it seems in line with other shared ownership properties available.

I appreciate also that there are other, much older properties on the market (the one you linked to being ex Council), with more space but I also understand that a lot of new builds have less space but this gets offset by the style/look/estate/etc - don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting your comment and if I was buying again, I'd definitely choose more space over a newer house.

I spoke to the estate agents earlier and discussed marketing the house differently, and will be doing some new photos myself when the tenants are out and place professionally cleaned, and as I say, I respect all the valid advice on here :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure