PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling - 1 Viewing in 2 weeks

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I'd actually take it off the market until the tenants are out and you can get in there and get it scrubbed and properly presented.

You might think its not an issue because you can't tell from a rightmove pic, but when somebody rings the agent to book a viewing it usually becomes obvious and that's when people might be put off. We've all seen 'can't pay we'll take it away' so most people realise now how hard it can be to get tenants out if they don't want to leave.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    gazfocus wrote: »
    The EA is fully aware there are tenants living there as they have to contact the tenants to arrange viewings.

In which case, the 'honest' thing to do would've been to include that information in the details. Although I realise we're talking about EAs :D
  • gazfocus wrote: »
    The EA is fully aware there are tenants living there as they have to contact the tenants to arrange viewings.

Have you asked the EA whether they have had calls and when they have said "There are tenants there now" the caller has said "Oh, I won't bother then"? I, like many other people, would never bother viewing a house with tenants in situ.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    "leasehold house" would be the deal breaker for me.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'd actually take it off the market until the tenants are out and you can get in there and get it scrubbed and properly presented.

You might think its not an issue because you can't tell from a rightmove pic, but when somebody rings the agent to book a viewing it usually becomes obvious and that's when people might be put off. We've all seen 'can't pay we'll take it away' so most people realise now how hard it can be to get tenants out if they don't want to leave.

Some owners and mortgage holders (not saying this one) are so greedy that they want the rental income, and tenants showing people round, right up until they pick up a buyer. It is certainly getting harder to juggle all those plates though, especially as buyers have vanished. Catch 22 really?
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some owners and mortgage holders (not saying this one) are so greedy that they want the rental income, and tenants showing people round, right up until they pick up a buyer. It is certainly getting harder to juggle all those plates though, especially as buyers have vanished. Catch 22 really?

The tenants that are in our house are only there because they were in the process of buying the house and needed to move out of their rental house that they were in. Everything has remained amicable and the tenants are moving into a new long term rental property in a couple of weeks. I certainly wouldn't expect tenants to show my prospective buyers around - that's what the EA's job is :)
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Its leasehold, shared ownership,and has tenants in it?

Sherlock Holmes not needed here.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Its leasehold, shared ownership,and has tenants in it?

Sherlock Holmes not needed here.

:T:T:T

In view of those three things, I'm amazed that he's even had one viewing - although I guess they were probably tyre kickers
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :T:T:T

In view of those three things, I'm amazed that he's even had one viewing - although I guess they were probably tyre kickers

Well, smart !!!!, by definition, a shared ownership house is always going to be leasehold. When you staircase to 100% you get the freehold.
  • gazfocus wrote: »
    The tenants that are in our house are only there because they were in the process of buying the house and needed to move out of their rental house that they were in. Everything has remained amicable and the tenants are moving into a new long term rental property in a couple of weeks.

That's fine; I'll believe you. I have no reason not to and nothing to lose.

Would I take your word for it if I was buying your house? Of course not. Until the tenants are out it's not even worth my time looking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure