PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2017 Grocery Challenge. NEW BEGINNINGS!

Comments

• Massa1982
    Massa1982 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Its taken me 7 days to read the 23 pages to this challenge :o . Not sure I am going to be able to keep up with how fast this thread moves but spent 37.77 so far this month and trying to go for a £200 budget for a family of 3.

managed to get £24 worth of goods for just over 7 quid in the local supermarket last night in the YS section. Now I have talked OH into eating fish it has opened up the options.

Budget runs from 1st to 31st.
    :pDesperately Determined to Destroy the Debts one at a time.. and Seriously Save for the Spectacular future.:p
  • GreenFairy
    GreenFairy Posts: 379
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    First supermarket trip of 2017 today!
    €89.55 spent between tesco and the pet shop.
    Bread, burger buns, milk, cheeses, lunch things, coffee, tea, some YS meat, tissues, flour, fruit and veg, some bits for the dogs and a bottle of rum :D

That should be it for about ten days I think.

My new oven got delivered and installed today as well - I'm so excited! I've a YS chicken roasting at the moment, and will do some baking tomorrow as well.
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Evening all, first shop today. Just under £70, but I'll say £70 in case the milk runs out(cereal drowning in milk) the kids.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    I've had a few spends over the last few days - I've been doing quite a bit of ys-ing. I got two chickens, which should have been over £6 each, for just over £3 each, so they're in the freezer for when I feel like a roast. Also got some ham, cake, pork pies, and lots of other bits. While I was in a@da, stocking up on Allen lights which are only £1 atm, I saw a lady being really naughty... She picked up a few packs of mince, which had been reduced to £2.89, and then went over to the veg section, peeled some 10p labels off the swedes and put them onto her mince!! What a cheek! She was strutting round, with her expensive coat and posh handbag...

Once I've added up totals, I'll add onto my signature.

I had diet coke chicken for dinner today. Not overly impressed...

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Redshank
    Redshank Posts: 42 Forumite
    Thursday was an NSD :) Today and yesterday spent £16.74 between Tescos and Co-op on various cold and flu remedies (the dreaded lurgy!), milks (cow, soya and oat), cheese, non-dairy yogurt-y things and a packet of gingernut biscuits that my husband snuck in.

I've mostly been moping around today feeling miserable but did rouse myself this evening to make some potato scones from leftover mash, and some 'bacon' flavoured seitan having dug out an open bag of vital wheat gluten from the back of the cupboard. They'll be breakfast tomorrow :)
    Newbie doing the best I can :D :A

Grocery Challenge Jan 2017 £144.17/£250
    Aiming to save £2,017 in 2017 - £156 so far :T
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    snowfox wrote: »
    I'm also going to make soup tomorrow, my first ever attempt at soup :eek: That will cover my lunches for most of the week, so hopefully I can bag some NSDs!
    Good luck with the soup. What kind are you making ? Looking forward to an update :D
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to make bags of salad last longer? i find it all goes mushy and 'bad' after 3 days.
    I find it's cheaper and stays fresher if you buy the ingredients separately and make your own salads as and when.
    freyasmum wrote: »
    When I told me mum, she was decidedly less than impressed. I think she thought I was sending Freya out to the shops herself while I had the feet up on my sofa :eek: She said it was too much responsibility, too young.

I, on the other hand, firmly believe that there are some things that simply must be taught. And knowing how to look after oneself is right up there at the top in my book.
    I think it's a great idea. It's good to teach sprogs about budgeting and being involved in what they are eating makes them more interested. I think your attitude is spot on :D

Spends today in Morries of £25.58 - lots of fish and more stock-cupboard. Still feel we're okay as lots of food in now.

Hope you all have a super Sunday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • GreenFairy wrote: »
    I've been terrible over the last year with my work lunches, and the packed bags had turned into lunch - and sometimes brekkie as well - being bought every day, which is horrific! I'm so embarrassed and annoyed with myself.

i've been terrible for buying lunch while at work in December, it has to stop cos I think that's were I go over budget each month. the few times I've not had sarnie stuff in I'm not too bothered about, but its fast turning into a daily habit.

I went charity shop bargain shoppings today, always good pickings after crimble when everyone offloads their unwanted gifts, and was going to treat me to a pub lunch (everything eaten comes out of food budget, tho oddly booze doesn't :) ) but was very good and avoided the pub altogether. I felt very virtuous.

since my shop ive bought 1 bottle of milk for 99p, am going to try and stretch my shoppings to 10 days rather than 7, cos of my shift patterns I always seem to still have half a fridge when I shop and want it to empty before I go.
  • Massa1982 wrote: »
    Its taken me 7 days to read the 23 pages to this challenge :o . Not sure I am going to be able to keep up with how fast this thread moves but spent 37.77 so far this month and trying to go for a £200 budget for a family of 3. .

when I first joined I was off sick from work and it was easy to keep up but now I'm working as normal again I struggle keeping up, so I feel your pain!
    I do find tho if I don't stick my head in I start to lose my mojo, so what I do now (unless I have loads of time) is just read the last 5 or so pages. I feel a bit bad about all the posts I miss but some is better than none for me.
    I think we all find what works for us and our busy lives :)
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 8 January 2017 at 2:26PM
    Finally caught up with the thread......

Small spend today - toothpaste, milk and dog biscuits... £5.21 - still using up food from freezer and store cupboards and enjoying meals after having nasty bug.
    YS chicken (79p from £3.99) from coop currently defrosting in fridge for roast tomorrow and menu plan for rubber chicken. Down to last two eggs but will hold out as long as possible.

Night all
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • hummingbird
    hummingbird Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    Feeling like such a novice at this even though I've been shopping for decades lol!:o I've never really succeeded at keeping an exact tally of my food spends, but am determined not to give up! I think I went over my £25 budget in week 1 but not by much. Reset goal for this week which ends on Weds. New Year didn't help so the fact that we're now "back to normal" will help!
    £10 a day extra in May '18[B]£35/310[
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £500/£2500 = 20%
    You can find my diary here:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5189836:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure