£1 HDMI cables at Poundland

Former_MSE_Becca
Former_MSE_Becca Posts: 250 Forumite
edited 12 June 2012 at 12:03PM in Techie Stuff
articlealert2_banner.gif
This is the place to discuss the Hot Bargain's deals note:

If you manage to find a Poundland HDMI cable, or another HDMI bargain, please join in the discussion :)

Many thanks,
MSE Becca

Comments

• John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Err, what price did you expect to find something at Poundland?
  • Poundland (other poundshops are available) pretty much always have HDMI cables in stock; what's "manage to find" all about?

And, yes, they give perfectly good signals and work every bit as well as £10, £20 or £50 cables from elsewhere with two caveats.

(a) it's quite common for them not to work at all, straight out of the packet

(b) the build quality is usually rotten, so they're poor for applications where you're going to plug them in and out a lot. Ideal for a permanant DVD-to-telly connection, less so for a games system which is getting moved about a lot.
    I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.
    But, if the white runs out, I'll drink the red.

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Whoa I found some for 80p in Euroland Shops (or 82Milllion Drachmas in Grexit Shops) :rotfl::rotfl:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • I Managed to find lots of the HDMI Cables this morning in the poundland in Aylesbury and I bought 2 as my husband was going to buy some others this afternoon I told them you had suggested them and they work great all fitted now and my husband is pleased :)
    :T
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have about 10+ of these.
    I disagree a bit with part of post #3, the build quality is acceptable for paying a pound and I have never had any problem with plugging in/removing them. (not arguing - its just not that bad).
    Every one of them has worked 100%

As with everything from pound shops you pays your money and you takes your chance, but you keep the receipt and if it does not work you can return it when next there. (in my case its every weekday - have to walk somewhere during lunch).

While they may not be of the same build quality as one that you pay £25+ for, they work exactly the same. In fact looking at some that I have seen for £15+ the more expensive ones are of the same build quality.

They are certainly not cheap rubbish though, neither are they really news as they have been on sale there for several years.

I only wish they did cables longer than 1 metre.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    mttylad wrote: »
    I only wish they did cables longer than 1 metre.
    Poundland do USB plug-to-socket extension cables, so you could extend it that way. I bought one as I thought it would act like an aeriel for my 3G dongle, but there was no difference at all in reception.
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    You can buy HDMI couplers on eBay for less than £1 delivered.
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    2 x 1m cables and a coupler = £3
    a 3m cable is under £3 from ebay.

The USB cable cannot be used to extend a HDMI cable, although the cable inside may do it the connectors are incompatible.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    HDMI is a digital signal, so you don't need a fancy cable. Digital signals just do not care about noise or distortion in the way analogue signals do because they're interpreted by a chip inside the device receiving them to turn the data in to picture and sound, unlike analogue signals which are amplified and used directly to make the sound and picture. You can even send digital signals through the air and get crystal clear freeview TV with perfect sound on most people's sets - just as long as no part of the signal is completely lost.

So, I buy inexpensive cables for digital signals without any worries. Even for expensive TV and audio equipment there's no benefit to spending loads. Just get ones that are solidly made and won't fall apart or have cheap poorly fitting plugs.
  • jayme1
    jayme1 Posts: 2,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    expert reviews did a comparison of cheap and expensive HDMI cables, the results won't shock anyone reading this thread, http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-entertainment/1292371/expensive-hdmi-cables-make-no-difference-the-absolute-proof
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure