ESA and the New Retirement Age

Please can somebody outline how this ESA claim situation works with the new retirement ages now affecting people.

I claim ESA (income based). It is a rolling benefit which has no time limit. But you must make a claim every three years.
Some people in the Support Group may become exempt from this three-year form filling - but the law has yet to be passed.

ESA was traditionally paid until age 65.

If you read the literature it actually says it will be paid until "Pension Age" - what DOES this mean?
Does this mean that, if you are a current claimant with a long-term condition, it will now be paid until I reach my new retirement age of 66 years and 10 months??
If it doesn't then that is a huge drop in income for someone for 1 year and 10 months, before they can claim their retirement pension....
I would appreciate some enlightenment please.

Comments

• Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    I would've thought that Pension Age means the age at which the individual claimant reaches Pension Age so in your case, at the age of 66 years and 10 months
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Cheeky Monkey is correct in their interpretation.
  • Thanks for your replies.

So, as I will still be technically of "working age" (unable to claim my pension until I am 66y10m) - I assume that I will still be able to claim ESA until I reach that age, and not aged up to 65 as it says in some official literature at present?

Tiny
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for your replies.

So, as I will still be technically of "working age" (unable to claim my pension until I am 66y10m) - I assume that I will still be able to claim ESA until I reach that age, and not aged up to 65 as it says in some official literature at present?

Tiny

You may get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if your illness or disability affects your ability to work and you’re:

under State Pension age

The first reply answered your question I am just answering it again, you are entitled to claim ESA whilst you are under pension age, everyone's pension age is different.
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Yes you can carry on claiming ESA until you are eligible to draw your pension.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,805 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thanks for your replies.

Tiny

If your state pension age is 66y 10m, then we're talking over ten years away - so who knows what the benefit system will look like by then ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure