MoneySaving Poll: How will you be voting in the EU referendum?

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Donaldp wrote: »
    Too many people are voting based on what they read in the UK media, if you really understood how the European Union worked you'd have a different view. Too many ukip voters will eventually ruin the country they say they want to make great again. Vote on fact not fiction. The UK = United kingdom, not very united if we leave and a very bleak outlook if we do.
    Having deliberately avoided ALL media into the debate, followed with avoiding ALL scaremongering ALL politicians opinions and ALL the mud throwing.

I am still voting to LEAVE based on my own facts, I think you will find there are a lot of people out there who already made their minds up Decades ago. Its why all previous Governments would say "Its not the right time yet." whenever asked about a referendum. They knew then what we still know now....Far too many of us have already decided how we will vote, it just happens its not looking too good for the REMAIN camp. But dont worry about the Polls, the only Poll that counts is the one on day of the referendum. ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • I can't see why anyone running the stay campaign would want to stay in, unless it's for personal gain. For those worried about the propaganda about foreign holidays and working in other member states, I did both before we joined, and there was no hardship about either.
  • What worries me is when you read that the tv keeps saying that both campaigns are 'neck and neck' yet Martins poll shows a clear winner. On the 23rd is the counting going to be legal?????
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edl2011 wrote: »
    If Britain leaves the EU then I will be leaving Britain, albeit reluctantly.
    It would be the final nail in the coffin, signifying at last the complete takeover of braindead, blinkered bigots in a once proud and respected country.
    So terribly sad.
    We still haven't found out what Martin has to say on the issue!?
    Don't let the door hit your backside on the way out ...

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Loren77 wrote: »
    What worries me is when you read that the tv keeps saying that both campaigns are 'neck and neck' yet Martins poll shows a clear winner. On the 23rd is the counting going to be legal?????

This is however based on the assumption that Money saving expert or Dailymail readers opinion reflex the opinion of all other categories of people eg. non money savvy people who would never come to this website. If you go to say Chelsea fan's pub and survey people there on which team is the best in the world, would you say you would get similar response if you were just to ask random people on the street?
  • loony767
    loony767 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you don’t understand what all the fuss is about. Here is the EU put simply.
    A son goes to his Dad having saved up some money from his weekend job.
    Son “ Dad I’ve saved up £350 pounds to buy the new laptop I need for my college course”
    Dad “Well done son, give the money to me and I’ll help you”
    Son “Ok now what?”
    Dad “I will allow you £185 pounds back less my handling fee of £5 so £180 which you may only spend on a new phone”
    Son “But I need a laptop!”
    Dad “No, we’ve decided you can only buy a phone and you may only buy a phone from Germany and it must be pink. You must also source the phone within 2 days otherwise I will not release the money”
    Son “But it’s my money!”
    Dad “I’m afraid you are a member of this family and you must contribute to everyone else’s needs. I will decide how the money is spent”
    Son “So what happens to the £165?”
    Dad “Well your sister needs a new dress”
    Son “She has already had many new dresses”
    Dad “We’ve put it to the vote and I’m afraid you’re outvoted”
    Son “But I need a laptop to continue my course!”
    Dad “My decision is final”
    Son “But that’s not fair, will I ever have a say in how my money is spent”
    Dad “No, and by the way we’ve got a couple more people moving into your room and you’ll have to pay for their keep”
    Son “Well I’m leaving then”
    Dad “Don’t be like that lad, we need your money. And if you leave you won’t be able to buy a pink phone from Germany you’ll have to buy one here instead”
    Son “I NEED A LAPTOP!”
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    This is however based on the assumption that Money saving expert or Dailymail readers opinion reflex the opinion of all other categories of people eg. non money savvy people who would never come to this website. If you go to say Chelsea fan's pub and survey people there on which team is the best in the world, would you say you would get similar response if you were just to ask random people on the street?
    I wouldn't like to make any assumptions based on the opinions of Daily Mail readers or Chelsea supporters.

However MSE, with 15 million visitors a month, will be representative of a wide cross-section of the UK - male/female, ABC1/C2DE, well educated/less well educated, northern/southern, metropolitan/rural, etc.

The only thing we all have in common is a desire to get the best deal. Arguably, given that the pound is very likely to fall against the Euro or Dollar following a Brexit, and it will take time to get new trade agreements in place, the economic arguments seem to favour Remain at least in the short term

But in spite of that, 64% of now over 25,000 people are saying Leave. That has to be significant.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Avocati
    Avocati Posts: 3 Newbie
    It's not only Money saving expert's poll that shows "Leave" in front.

I completed The Telegraph Poll some while back and checked today to see the results after a few weeks, okay so it's Telegraph readers, however 91%, yes 91% want to leave the EU on a straight question Remain or Leave.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    WOW - Its no wonder his POLL is so popular. I have just voted FOR THE THIRD TIME on it. To assist me it even includes a link to VOTE AGAIN.

Well done Martin, Yet another POLL open to abuse.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • G6JPG
    G6JPG Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    [snip]
    However MSE, with 15 million visitors a month, will be representative of a wide cross-section of the UK - male/female, ABC1/C2DE, well educated/less well educated, northern/southern, metropolitan/rural, etc.
    It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of MSE readers. I suspect they lean towards the better educated, based on what I've read here over the years. But not necessarily the better off.
    The only thing we all have in common is a desire to get the best deal. Arguably, given that the pound is very likely to fall against the Euro or Dollar following a Brexit, and it will take time to get new trade agreements in place, the economic arguments seem to favour Remain at least in the short term
    I agree, I think Brexit will cause a period of uncertainty, which I suspect will almost certainly involve hardship - at very least no pay rises (so what's new I hear you cry:)), and I fear probably some job losses. Whether in purely economic terms we'd ever get back to even where we are now, I don't know (and nor does anyone else). [Whether the pound would fall against the Euro I think is less certain, because I suspect the Euro would also fall after a Brexit.]

I still think leaving would be best for Britain in the long run for reasons beyond the economic. The EU now is very different from the one we joined (and were told at the time was just a "common market"), in matters beyond just the economy. But I can see that a lot of people - I suspect, especially the younger members of society - can't afford the luxury of choosing that, even if they agree with me: they would have to vote stay to survive the next - well, I'd say couple of years at least: if their job is at all precarious, and/or they have a big mortgage. I have sympathy for that position. (Also a lot of younger folk do more agree with the ideals of the EU [if nothing else, they've grown up in it]. I have less, but then I'm at 56 tending towards old git.)
    But in spite of that, 64% of now over 25,000 people are saying Leave. That has to be significant.
    It is certainly interesting!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport