Working more hours than my contract alllows

Hi

I am working for a well-known retail company doing eight hours a week, on a thirteen probation and wondering if I am within my right to ask my employer to work a bit more (16 hours) or should I wait until they ask me to work more hours?

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    How about sending them a nice letter (which of course you can hand to HR or your manager or the appropriate person) saying something like this...

Dear

Thank you for the opportunity to work for [company name] which I am enjoying very much.

I appreciate that I am in my probation period, but thought it might be good to put in writing the fact that I am very keen to work extra hours. Ideally I would like a permanent contract, but if in the mean time I can help out by doing more hours to cover holiday vacancies, please don't hesitate to ask I would be delighted to extend my hours and experience.

Yours sincerely
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    How about sending them a nice letter (which of course you can hand to HR or your manager or the appropriate person) saying something like this...

Dear

Thank you for the opportunity to work for [company name] which I am enjoying very much.

I appreciate that I am in my probation period, but thought it might be good to put in writing the fact that I am very keen to work extra hours. Ideally I would like a permanent contract, but if in the mean time I can help out by doing more hours to cover holiday vacancies, please don't hesitate to ask I would be delighted to extend my hours and experience.

Yours sincerely

Is it alright to explain the above by composing an email to the main work's email?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I would be inclined to speak direct to your manager in the first instance, and ask if it would be possible to work additional hours or if that won't be possible until probation is complete. Personally, I wouldn't bring up anything about permanent contract at this stage as that could seem rather pushy.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I would be inclined to speak direct to your manager in the first instance, and ask if it would be possible to work additional hours or if that won't be possible until probation is complete. Personally, I wouldn't bring up anything about permanent contract at this stage as that could seem rather pushy.

We do not know that the OP is not on a "permanent" contract already: we have been told only that there is a 13-week probationary period.

The organisation I work for puts everyone who joins on a permanent contract on a 3 month probationary period.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm on a temporary contract with the company.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    We do not know that the OP is not on a "permanent" contract already: we have been told only that there is a 13-week probationary period.

The organisation I work for puts everyone who joins on a permanent contract on a 3 month probationary period.

My comment about not mentioning permanent contract was in response to jobbingmusician who suggested saying in the letter/e-mail that ideally they would like a permanent contract. I agree we don't know the OP's situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure