Invoice for Work I Have No Idea About

Sorry if this is in the wrong place (please move if it is) I couldn't work out where to put it.

I receviced a letter from a company with an invoice for some work.

The letter is addressed to corporate assets (what does that mean?)
The address on the letter doe snot have my name or even my full address, it is missing the last part of the postcode, the road name is two words and not one and there is no mention of the flat name.

I have no idea why I have received the letter and would like to know what to do as there is a large sum of money being asked for that has nothing to do with me. The work is for some sort of industrial machinery, which have nothing t do with my job.

Should I ring the company as I've googled them and everything matches up.

Comments

• Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Do you have a shredder? If not, a waste paper basket will do.
    :beer:
    Not even wrong
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite

NO dont ring them, just bin the letter and if you get any more do not open them and just write 'return to sender' on the front and place back in post box
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Agree with don't ring them but disagree with advice to shred/bin it. Just write "Not Known at This Address - Return to Sender" on it and slip it in the post box.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

You are not obliged to call them or help them.

But personally I would call them to explain that they have made a mistake, in the hope that they can sort out what has happened and avoid contacting you again.

However if they start making any demands then I would end the call. [Obviously if they try to demand you pay the amount state that you dispute that you owe them anything. Then demand they stop any further contact other than formal legal action.]
  • angryparcel
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Agree with don't ring them but disagree with advice to shred/bin it. Just write "Not Known at This Address - Return to Sender" on it and slip it in the post box.
    But reading what the OP has written, i assume they have opened, so too late to return to sender
  • angryparcel
    naedanger wrote: »
    You are not obliged to call them or help them.

But personally I would call them to explain that they have made a mistake, in the hope that they can sort out what has happened and avoid contacting you again.

However if they start making any demands then I would end the call. [Obviously if they try to demand you pay the amount state that you dispute that you owe them anything. Then demand they stop any further contact other than formal legal action.]

calling them means you would have had to open the letter, so admitting the details on the envelope are correct
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    calling them means you would have had to open the letter, so admitting the details on the envelope are correct

The op opened the letter but that does not mean they have admitted the details on the envelope were correct. My understanding is that they don't know anything about "corporate assets".
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place (please move if it is) I couldn't work out where to put it.

I receviced a letter from a company with an invoice for some work.

The letter is addressed to corporate assets (what does that mean?)
    The address on the letter doe snot have my name or even my full address, it is missing the last part of the postcode, the road name is two words and not one and there is no mention of the flat name.

I have no idea why I have received the letter and would like to know what to do as there is a large sum of money being asked for that has nothing to do with me. The work is for some sort of industrial machinery, which have nothing t do with my job.

It's a scam - don't get sucked in.
  • angryparcel
    naedanger wrote: »
    The op opened the letter but that does not mean they have admitted the details on the envelope were correct. My understanding is that they don't know anything about "corporate assets".
    If it was not addressed to them then they should not have opened it, so as its open it cannot be returned to sender.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It wasn't addressed to anyone else either, from what I can tell. It had the op's part address and no name, so the op was probably entitled to open the letter and see what it was all about. No one is going to take him to court for this.

I would reseal the letter and return to sender.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure