PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House guest won't leave.

Comments

• kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As far as I am aware she would need to go to the housing department and say she is now homeless.

She and her child would probably be put into emergency accommodation and then be housed at a later date if there was someplace empty.

I am sorry that you have found yourself in this predicament but you need to put yourself first now. Don't allow her to make you ill.

Take care.
  • Lloyd90
    Lloyd90 Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Not only is she massively taking advantage of you, she's also taking the total PIZZ when she leaves your house in a mess and refuses to clean up any mess she has made.

I'd change the locks and tell her to do one! (Might have to check the legalities first unfortunately), will she even be a lodger if shes never paid rent etc? I hope not, she deserves to be out on her !!!! listening to her behaviour!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    As kelpie's post above, the council have a duty and they will keep mother & child together, as that is the easiest/cheapest option, but it may well be in B&B type accommodation.

When you choose to change the locks, try to make sure you have a friend with you, because it's likely that this person won't take heed of a notice to quit and they may become abusive. They will probably try to use emotional blackmail first.

From a practical point of view, you need to make sure that they are aware of the situation change early enough in the day to visit the council's housing dept. However, whether they do that, or indeed what they do next is not your concern.

This person has done very well out of you, but it's time for them to move on and take proper adult responsibilty for their life.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A lodger has some protection, and it's illegal just to change the locks and not allow them in. You need to provide reasonable notice, in writing. Reasonable is not clearly defined, but probably 14-28 days. If your health is deteriorating, less might be okay. If you can manage another 28 days, that's the safe option. For purely practical reasons, the notice should expire on a weekday.

Besides that, she will need time to see the council, and organise things. So give as much notice as you can. The council will rehouse her and the child together, but it costs money so they usually leave it until the end of the notice period.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Bags. Doorstep.

Change locks.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,617 Forumite
    Bags. Doorstep.

Change locks.

Police. Jail.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2017 at 9:00AM
    At best she's an excluded occupier. Legally you just have to give reasonable notice and reasonable notice is a week. I don't know where some people are getting 28 days from. Who would want to share a home with an unwelcome excluded occupier for any longer than necessary? You don't even need to give excluded occupiers notice in writing.

She didn't conceive this child by herself. Is the child living with the father an option since the mother doesn't seem capable of looking after herself or another human being? If that's not an option then this woman does have family she could possibly stay with even if they are far away. Beggars cannot be choosers.

There's no point tying yourself in knots over this. The child is her responsibility, not yours. Unless you're prepared to take some action then you'll need to learn to put up with the situation.

I wouldn't even bother contacting the housing department or any other agency on her behalf. She's a grown woman, it's time she stood on her own two feet.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 684 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Police. Jail.

What would he be convicted of and sent to jail for? Putting someone's bags on the doorstep and changing the locks?

She's not a tenant and possibly not even a lodger as she doesn't pay rent or contribute in any way.

But...the op should do the decent thing (not that he hasn't done so already) and give her 14 days notice in writing. And then evict her.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    It's a tough one, easy to say bags outside, change locks but with a child involved its complex as you want to least know she would do the right thing and also ensure the time of day so the council office is still open to visit for emergency housing.
  • Sjc1973
    Sjc1973 Posts: 84 Forumite
    I think all you can do now is have a frank and senisitive converstation with her, in that the current situation can't continue and she needs to find her own accommodation. Take some of the advice on here around giving her written notice so she can go to the council and get accommodation, I agree because she has a child they will help get accommodation and there are presumably no safeguarding concerns so they will not just accommodate the child. Also she has not made herself intentionally homeless this time so they can help her. Yes its going to be difficult but I think you have to remember you have not done anything wrong, you have been more then kind letting her and her son stay as long as they have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure