PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Negotiating estate agents fees

We put our house up for sale last year and accepted an offer within a week of it going on the market. At that point, we were told by our estate agent that we couldn't have any more viewings. We found a property we liked, had an offer accepted and have had a mortgage offered based on calculations of the proceeds we would make from selling.

Six weeks later, the sale fell through (a whole other story in itself). Since then we have had to reduce our asking price twice and are in danger of losing the property we want to buy because the vendor is getting sick of waiting.
Basically, we are pretty miffed with our estate agent as apparently the first six weeks of going on the market are the most crucial, and they told us we couldn't have any viewings while 'under offer' (even though it wasn't a secure sale).

We want to go to the estate agent and ask them to reduce their fees because of the problems they've caused us, but they are a big corporate company, so we're unsure what the reaction may be.

Has anyone else had experience of negotiating fees with the bigger estate agents?

Comments

• ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'd start by serving them notice to end the agency agreement, in accordance with the contract - then offer to re-sign with them if they'll reduce the commission. That way, if they say no, at least the process of moving to a better agent is under way!
  • ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 8:20PM
    So what problems exactly have they caused you and why is it the agents fault? Surely the folk pulled out the sale and thats what happened? That happens a lot and it hurts!

You said no more viewings after you had accepted an offer.

Most buyers when they have had their offer accepted on a property, they want to ensure it is marked online as 'under offer' and hope that no more viewings are taken place so that they are not gazumped!
  • Zeni
    Zeni Posts: 424 Forumite
    I don't think you can blame the estate agents for this - I would assume that a condition of the offer was that it was off the market once the offer was accepted so they wouldn't be gazumped. A buyer isn't going to go down the road of mortgages and surveys etc with a house if its still having viewings and could be taken from them.
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
  • We were advised by the estate agents that we couldn't have any more viewings. This is our first time selling and so we took their advice - they are the experts. Having spoken to other estate agents since, they have all said they would not have given that advice.

As for it being marked online as 'under offer', that never happened. The buyer couldn't get a mortgage due to a technicality and it all fell through.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Amykins1 wrote: »
    We were advised by the estate agents that we couldn't have any more viewings. This is our first time selling and so we took their advice - they are the experts. Having spoken to other estate agents since, they have all said they would not have given that advice.
    You did not have to take their advice. It was your decision.

But if you're not happy with the EA, then follow ThePants' advice above.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would not be happy if viewings were still being conducted after I've had an offer accepted. I certainly wouldn't be spending money having a survey done or instructing solicitors to do searches if viewings were still going on.

It is very possible that your buyer took the same view.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    This is our first time selling and so we took their advice - they are the experts..
    I'm afraid many estate agents arent particularly expert at anything, which is why they're estate agents!

This particular firm do things one way and you've found others who behave differently, but that doesn't make either 100% right or wrong.

I found traditional agents in Wales very inflexible about viewings once a property was under offer. Not being especially keen to gazump others, I'd leave my details with them in case the sale foundered.

Did your agent not collect expressions of interest like this?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,288
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Having spoken to other estate agents since, they have all said they would not have given that advice.

Just one thought...

Don't take too much notice of that kind of comment in these kind of circumstances.

They are probably 'bad mouthing' your current EA, and saying what you want to hear, in order to win your business.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    I'm afraid many estate agents arent particularly expert at anything, which is why they're estate agents!

I am beginning to realise this!
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Not being especially keen to gazump others, I'd leave my details with them in case the sale foundered.

Did your agent not collect expressions of interest like this?

If they did, they haven't told us!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    How would you feel if the property you want was still being marketed?!

Some will accept other viewers/offers, but the majority don't. I consider it pretty bad form. Once I have an offer on my house, it is off the market. If someone wants to leave their details with the agent in case it falls through, great. But I won't be having viewers or gazumping anyone.

Treat others as you expect to be treated...

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family