PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is Lincoln a nice place to live?

HI,

I am thinking of moving north from the south east. Due to silly house prices in the south east. I work from home so work is not an issue (as long as there is internet access).

One of the places I have been looking at is Lincoln. It seems nice, property appears to be not to expensive and it has a good range of facilities (from what I can gather from internet research)

I have never been to Lincoln but before I go on an exploration trip there I thought I would ask the good folk of MSE what there opinions / views of Lincoln are. Any there any parts of the town to avoid are there any parts which are particularly nice etc etc

Would you recommend Lincoln as nice place to live?

Comments

• lisal0u
    lisal0u Posts: 406
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Bestthingsinlifearefree,

I actually work in Lincoln and I can tell you it is a lovely place. If you have ever been to York its a bit like that. Off hand I can tell you the St Giles estate is not particularly great. I will ask at work for the other places to avoid.

It does have one annoying problem and that is the road network. It was never designed to cope with the amount of trafic there is today so it can be a bit of a nightmare getting in and out of Lincoln.

It is a an old historic city with a beautiful cathedral and it also has a university. One thing I would say is make sure you check out if an area you like is in the Flood Map (www.environment-agency.gov.uk). Quite a lot of Lincoln is within the Flood Map.

If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask!

Kind regards
    Lisa
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks that's great background info. From what I have learnt so far Lincoln seems a decent place. The flooding is a good point particuarly in regard to buying property etc.

I am also looking at Schools (as I have a little lad 18 months old). I note The Priory seems like a great high school re exam results (though that is a long way off yet).

I probably will have some more Qu's if / when things progress. I think when you move some where you can never beat local knowledge.

Best,
  • lisal0u
    lisal0u Posts: 406
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hiya,

Yes Priory LSST is an excellent school. I have a friend who is a teacher there and she can't praise it enough.

I would love to live in Lincoln (currently live in S!!!!horpe which is about 26 miles further north) but the other half travels a lot and it would add a lot of extra travelling to his day if we moved there :(

Good luck with your house hunting!
    Lisa
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm originally from Lincolnshire and I'd move back in a flash. Sadly, DH's job prevents us at the moment.

........................ then again, I always said that I'd move back to Lincoln when GAP opened a shop there. :D :rotfl:
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Have you considered Stamford or Oundle? Then t'lad can go to Uppingham school. Lincoln, like Norwich, suffers from being miles from anywhere and it takes an age to get to London for shows, concerts etc.
  • clobber_2
    clobber_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Lincoln is lovely. Not very moneysaving because it is full of FANTASTIC restaurants and pubs. Very pretty town with lots of sights to see, walking into town from where I was was always a pleasure.

Don't know about schools.

Nowhere in Lincs (except possibly Grantham, which is godawful) is particularly well connected either by road or rail, which can be a pain in the bum.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The best thing about Lincoln is that it's not mentioned in many tourist guide books, despite being a (mostly) beautiful city, which means it's not swamped with Tourists.

There's decent train links to London via Newark, so it's not completely in the middle of no where!! I used to live out in the stigs of North Lincolnshire for 18 years!!

Go on the ofsted webpage to check out local schools.

Avoid the St Giles estate! Here's a nice place to rent near the bailgate:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-4984182.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=rent
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • clobber_2
    clobber_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Minster Yard! There's posh now.

I lived in the hospital accomodation which was an utter dump but the walk into town took one past the Cathedral, the Castle, numerous VERY nice pubs and cafes - lovely.

Now I live in a poncey flat and get a bus to work - something has gone wrong...
  • I've often thought about moving to Lincoln as it does indeed seem like a nice place (i'll be looking to do a PGCE in a few years, but unfortunately none of the unis up that way seem to do them - yet!)

Like other have said though, the road infrastructure is a bit pap. One word - A17!!! Gotta be a contender for the worst road in Britain. But then again I live in Nowich so i'm used to it :rotfl:

The cathedral there looks absolutely amazing! I've never been inside, but from the outside it really is breathtaking (i'm a sucker for old architecture). Also, if being near the coast is your bag, it's not that far away. There's also the bright lights of Nottingham not too far away, just in case you crave a bit of big city life.

Good luck with your search, i'm sure you won't regret getting out of London!
  • lyndasharp
    lyndasharp Posts: 649
    First Post
    Forumite
    Agreed, Lincoln is fantastic, went to Uni there. I'd avoid Monks Road area as well as St Giles. I used to live uphill, and around Burton Road area is definitely a good place to look at.
    Live on £11k in 2011 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport