We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Moving home - Moving plants?

We have a new house, but won't be moving in it any time soon due to repairs but it occured to me that we also need to move the plants we have in our garden...

I'm after advice on this - I've not been greenfingered for long so have no idea what to do ..

There isn't many plants :

X1 Bush rose (planted last year, it's grown but never flowered)
A mix of 'alpine flowers' from home base (some have already flowered)

And then I have a plant box with climbers (polish spirit and 2 types of clematis)

Any ideas how or when to move them?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Err....you are not supposed to remove the plants from your garden when selling a house, except with the express permission of the new owners.

However anything in a container, like a plant box (?) wouldn't count.

How to move them? In plastic bags if you haven't any pots or in one big washing up bowl, or whatever.

When? ASAP. It's only going to get warmer and drier,(hopefully!) so plants should establish better now than in summer, especially if you're not living at the new place and on hand to water regularly.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Err....you are not supposed to remove the plants from your garden when selling a house, except with the express permission of the new owners.

We currently rent - As per my tenancy agreement I have to put the garden back to its original state so I'm allowed to remove flowers :D
    Davesnave wrote: »
    However anything in a container, like a plant box (?) wouldn't count.

How to move them? In plastic bags if you haven't any pots or in one big washing up bowl, or whatever.

I only have 1 plant box.. its got a trellis thing at the back which has climbers on it... the rest are in borders around the front garden
    Davesnave wrote: »
    When? ASAP. It's only going to get warmer and drier,(hopefully!) so plants should establish better now than in summer, especially if you're not living at the new place and on hand to water regularly.

Luckily i'm moving around the corner from my new house so am up daily at the moment.

Thanks for the reply Davesnave - I shall start on the new garden ASAP :D:T
  • betsie
    betsie Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    When we moved I bought some cheap buckets and made holes in the bottom with a screwdriver. Filled with a layer of gravel at bottom then just dirt from the garden and the plant. They stayed in the buckets for about 9mths and everything survived.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure