Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Comments

• mcroodi
    mcroodi Posts: 258 Forumite
    This scam has been around for quite a while.

If it sounds too good to be true.. then it probably is. If Nokia were running a promotion with such a large sum of money as a potential prize, then I'm sure a lot of people would know about it.

If you are in any doubt, why not contact Nokia directly to confirm this if you want peace of mind.
  • I very much doubt Nokia would use a Hotmail address too:D
    :A :shocked::shocked: :A
  • Phil51
    Phil51 Posts: 786 Forumite
    Hi Guys,
    Can someone please confirm if this is a scam. I am a bit confused as they appear to know my name. :confused:

Jacqui

Check this link
    Comping 2008 wins £4842 2009 wins £950.50 2010 Wins £140 2011 £0
  • JAM1376
    JAM1376 Posts: 566 Forumite
    Hi all

This looks too good to be true so I am suspicious. Is it a scam?

This is to inform you that you have won a prize money of FIVE HUNDRED
    THOUSAND POUNDS STERLINGS(£500,000)and a Brand New BMW X5 JEEP on our yearly bonanza of October 01 2008 Lottery promotion which organize by
    YAHOO & HOTMAIL LOTTERY INC & WINDOWS LIVE.
    YAHOO & HOTMAIL MICROSOFT WINDOWS in conjunction , collects all the email addresses of the people that are active online, among the millions that
    subscribed to Yahoo we only select 15 people every Month as our winners
    through electronic balloting System without the winner applying,we
    congratulate you for being one of the people selected.

Anyone seen this before? The english isn't great so I'm not getting excited!

Thank you :beer:
    My baby girl :kisses3: September 09 :heartsmil
  • JAM1376
    JAM1376 Posts: 566 Forumite
    I think I know the answer to my question above, either that or I have been very lucky this week - I got another one!

Attn:Sir/Madam,

Congratulations! Your e-mail address has won for you £1000.000.00 (One million Pounds) in the BRITISH INTERNATIONAL LOTTERY 2008, with Ref No: 4758961 and
    Batch No: 70564943/188.
    Contact Claims Processing Agent
    Dr.Garry Lee
    Email: dr.garrylee_2008bonanza@hotmail.com
    +447024091279
    +447031960874
    Verifications/Logistic Department.
    Yours faithfully,
    Mrs. Vanessa Cole

Can somebody please confirm? Thank you!!
    My baby girl :kisses3: September 09 :heartsmil
  • Nomad25
    Nomad25 Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    YAHOO & HOTMAIL LOTTERY INC & WINDOWS LIVE.
    YAHOO & HOTMAIL MICROSOFT WINDOWS in conjunction , collects all the email addresses of the people that are active online, among the millions that
    subscribed to Yahoo we only select 15 people every Month as our winners

I got one of these today too, but being a sceptic I deleted it.
  • This 85115 text messages are sent because you have probably entered a TV competition via txt message ie. This morning's 10K draw, Loose Women £5000 draw or things like that.
    I did and kept on receiving txt messages until i found out all I had to do was send STOP to the number!
  • amsquared
    amsquared Posts: 2,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just had a call from a lady at Select Holidays - I had filled in a prize draw at the SECC Glasgow Travel show earlier this year. Usual chat to check all the details. I asked what the company was and was told it was Club La Costa. When I mentioned that they were a timeshare company she insisted they were a holiday club, When I mentioned the many complaints I have read about them they said "you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet - even Thomas Cook get complaints". :rotfl:I did the sensible thing and put the phone down. Must remember not to go to travel shows anymore.
    Best Comp wins in 25 years of comping. Holidays to Hawaii, Toronto, Thailand twice, Dubai twice, Cyprus, Spain, Lake District, Glasgow and London. A couple of £1000 wins as vouchers. 2 Dimplex Fires. Baby cot and chest of drawers. £500 of blinds. Shibumi Jacket. Various small cash prizes under £500 and shopping vouchers. Cosmetics & weedkiller!
  • I have just had my slip and congratulations from the company Matters Consulting Ltd. I knew as soon as I saw the envelope which was addressed Ms/Mrs and no name that it was a con.

threw it in the bin!
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
  • kez_s
    kez_s Posts: 802 Forumite
    Obviously I enter a lot of comps and so I just received the following text:

"URGENT" Large parcel awaiting delivery please call now on +23222270682 For Delivery Tomorrow
    International Parcel Deliveries.

Being very wary of a parcel that I've not had a card for and the fact they would deliver on a Sunday so I checked the "Who Calls Me" website and yes it's a scam, some have been charged between £8 + £15 for the call. They will even attempt to call you from a variety of numbers!

SO BE WARNED!!!!!
    ~ What's for you, won't go past you! ~
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport