been awarded ESA , What Help am i entitled to?

Do I get free prescriptions , dental treatment and help with glasses ??
I do get housing benefit .
Thanks
The original janiebaby ;)

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Which ESA are you getting income based or contribution based.

What other benefits apart from housing benefit do you get?

Do you have any children?
    Do you have partner?
    If so do they work?

Need to know a little more before any one can give any more help.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks , It doesnt say on the letter which one it is ,
    They will still pay my NHS contributions it states ,
    No children living at home ,
    Husband is out of work but not claming anything because of me,
    The JSA people told him this ,
    no other income at all ,
    I get council tax benefit as well
  • calleyw
    Forumite
    Have you worked in the last few years if not then it is income based. And that will be effected by any other income coming in to the house.

I don't get why your husband is not claiming. Again if he has worked the last few years and only just lost his job then he is entitled to contribution based JSA for 6 months.

If you have care or mobility needs are you claiming DLA?

Yours

Calley

• janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    calleyw wrote: »
    Have you worked in the last few years if not then it is income based. And that will be effected by any other income coming in to the house.

I don't get why your husband is not claiming. Again if he has worked the last few years and only just lost his job then he is entitled to contribution based JSA for 6 months.

If you have care or mobility needs are you claiming DLA?

Yours

Calley
    yes I have worked , Im currently on long term sick at the moment , but my sick pay has run out from my employers .
    My husband has claimed since september , but his contributions ran out at the same time as my sick pay so i was told to claim for partner as well
    no immediate care or moblilty probelms as yet ,
    Im currently waiting to hear whether i will need surgery soon
  • calleyw
    Forumite
    Right it seems as if you are on contribution based ESA but are having a top of income support. But you need to double check as that makes a difference how you claim what.

Do you have any savings between 6k -16K as that will effect any benefits that you can claim.

You can claim help with health care costs with a HC1 form if on a low income.

Don't forget that once your husband goes back to work that will effect any means tested benfits that you recieve.

I am sure that someone else who can give you more help will be along soon.

Yours

Calley

• The_Zealot
    The_Zealot Posts: 67 Forumite
    Calleyw just out of curiosity, when the husband does find a job what happens to the ESA and housing benefits?
    Assuming they both have less than £6000 in savings, but the husband is earning more than £20/25k a year.

Will the ESA be removed completely because the husband is earning more than the ESA joint claim?
    Will the housing benefits be removed as well before they reach £6000 in savings? Or do they have a certain amount of time to save up some cash and reach the £6k figure?

Thank you very much.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The_Zealot wrote: »
    Calleyw just out of curiosity, when the husband does find a job what happens to the ESA and housing benefits?
    Assuming they both have less than £6000 in savings, but the husband is earning more than £20/25k a year.

Will the ESA be removed completely because the husband is earning more than the ESA joint claim?
    Will the housing benefits be removed as well before they reach £6000 in savings? Or do they have a certain amount of time to save up some cash and reach the £6k figure?

Thank you very much.

The ESA if income based will go completely.

They would not receive HB so they can reach £6000 in savings.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The DWP told me that if you qualify for Contribution Based ESA you continue to get ESA at the appropriate rate for the group you've been placed in until you are judged fit to work. So if hubby was claiming JSA then that would argue there is an Income Related top-up. Therefore the OP should be entitled to free prescriptions etc without having to claim it separately.

Having said that, the DWP tell me a completely different story every time I get in touch!
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • calleyw
    Forumite
    The_Zealot wrote: »

Healy has answered the question for you. If the op is getting what is income support top up then that will stop.

HB and CT benefit and any help with health care will be lost if the OP's husband get a job earning more than 15K approx a year let a long 20/25K a year. So not sure why you have picked those figures.

Because of joint claim and the top of income based ESA. How does that effect the OP's husbands NI being paid for him? Because if he was claiming JSA Income based it would be paid.

Yours

Calley

• minjara
    minjara Posts: 81 Forumite
    my partners had to go through the same rigmaroll for this at the mo. If it is cont based with an income top up you get no help at all, what you will need to apply for is 3rd party help for gas/elec, hc1 for prescriptions and if you have a mortgage you will have to speak to them direct for help. The conts part overrules the income based top up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure