Windows XP support ended - day 1

Options
googler
googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Despite the dire warnings about virus-makers and hackers waiting to pounce on day 1, I'm writing this from an XP Service Pack 3 installation, Chrome browser, and no virus software.

This machine hasn't had a virus checker for years, the last time it had one was when I was running MS Vista on it WITH a virus checker, and THAT was the only time I got a virus.

Nothing to report thus far.

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    My XP netbook just exploded and it hasn't even been turned on for at least 6 months. MS deserting XP is the start of the apocalypse. We are all doomed. Doomed.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ...and yet, this morning, I had the yellow Updates shield beaming at me from the taskbar, and I downloaded and installed 4 updates... where were yours???
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • yummy_mummy_2
    Options
    I had updates this morning too ...now using Google chrome..hope they continue .
  • kwikbreaks
    Options
    I'm wondering if the end of support just means the end of developing new fixes. It may be that they will leave the update servers running a while. I have a netbook and an EEE-Box that I rarely use but should probably update with the final fixes so I'll try that next time I'm home for a while and have the time.

As millions are still running XP I suspect that if some monstrous exploit is revealed and starts getting used to impact millions of machines MS may relent and produce a fix for it.

Maybe this will be the push Linux needs? If so MS have only themselves to blame as it was the abysmal Vista that ensured so many XP machines are still out there.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I just went to the local ATM and it gave me a fist full of Scottish £20 pound notes , it would appear that we in Essex are doomed :eek:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • kwikbreaks
    Options
    Spend 'em quick while they are still legal tender. Mind you in some parts you have trouble getting them accepted anyway.
  • frank777
    frank777 Posts: 296 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2014 at 12:56PM
    Options
    I had updates this morning on my PC and when I Rebooted my Broadband went down.:eek: I thought it was Microsoft sending a final fix/bug/trojan to help persuade us to Upgrade our systems

:)Not true, it was a Virgin Media fault!

:think:If we've not got MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is it best to turn Automatic updates off - support has ended!
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the end of support just means the end of developing new fixes. It may be that they will leave the update servers running a while. .
    I believe so, yes.

The reason that today is the first day when XP is out of support is because the last patches for XP were issued yesterday. (And that's 8 April, I think lunchtime USA time as well, so many UK users will get the patches today.)

Likewise the last patches for Office 2003 were issued yesterday too.

So, as another website mentioned, XP is arguably no worse today than it was just after the last set of patches in March. The problem is that it goes downhill all the way from here onwards...
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    As millions are still running XP I suspect that if some monstrous exploit is revealed and starts getting used to impact millions of machines MS may relent and produce a fix for it.
    They might, or they might not. I wouldn't count on it.

Because MS have been going on about it and used a lot of routes to tell people about the end of support, they could just say 'we told you so'.

I'm pretty certain that's what their lawyers will say if some XP user gets hacked badly and tries to sue them.
  • frank777
    frank777 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Thank's- I'll turn off & use Belarc Advisor to check for any updates
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As long as you've installed all the important Windows updates, you should be fine with a reliable firewall and antivirus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure