Our attempt at being MF!!

Comments

• Wow Cath that's fantastic news!! :) well done!! x
  • Very well done, you have achieved so much! Young children, home improvements, work and training as well as overpaying! Brilliant. You are a dynamo!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    well done Cath, that's great news
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have been MIA! I seem to have stalled at getting the mortgage sub 100k. Have just been really busy as back at uni now and retraining for a new career is mind boggling and I have lots of work to do. Added to that we have had an expensive few weeks. House insurance needed renewing, my car had some work done costing over £200 and we booked a holiday! We are going to be staying in a huge house with 4 other couples and our children for a week next Spring. We are all really looking forward to it and it will be a welcome break.

We have also had the rest of the work done on the utility room so had various expenses there. On top of that DH was unwell and we lost a weeks wage!

However, onwards and upwards and damage limitation it is. I haven't spent any money this week and have taken flask of coffee and sandwiches to uni and we did a careful food shop.

DH car is going in for its MOT tomorrow so I am very hopeful it passes as I really could do without any more expenses!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • CathT
    Hello all, we are having a really constructive weekend. Playroom sorted out yesterday and DH is at the car boot sale as we speak.

Have had my renewal for central heating cover and it has jumped up from £12 a month to £24 so I think I will be cancelling that! The boiler is only a year old so I don't understand why it's gone so high as we only paid £16 a month for our ancient boiler.

I also need to order DS's birthday present. Am getting him a toy hoover, I really don't see the point in getting him a lot (he is 2) as they both already have so much. Not really sure how to make this work at Christmas though when it is Santa bringing everything - any tips?
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    FC only brings stocking presents in our house - we/ other friends and relations give all other presents. Stocking presents are usually choc coins, a book, something smelly, a small toy/ cuddly, something else to eat and things like socks, hairclips etc It all has to fit in their stocking and be relatively equal with the other stockings :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • CathT
    greent wrote: »
    FC only brings stocking presents in our house - we/ other friends and relations give all other presents. Stocking presents are usually choc coins, a book, something smelly, a small toy/ cuddly, something else to eat and things like socks, hairclips etc It all has to fit in their stocking and be relatively equal with the other stockings :)

Well, the other people who bought gifts certainly outdid us! Christmas will be equally small scale. ;)

Wow life has got busy and expensive! DH car unfortunately cost almost £200 to get through the MOT but at least it has now passed! :j

Uni is soooo busy, I have so much to do but the weeks pass by so quickly and I don't want the children to suffer so I am trying to do my work in the evenings.

At the moment we are only overpaying £7 a month! Although this is probably more as our normal payment would normally be less than we have fixed it at? However, we are sticking to all the MF principles and will keep ploughing away. We are spending a lot of money on childcare now I am Mon-Fri like DH which has hit us hard!

However, I will set mini-challenges. For example, next month our mortgage payment will take us to 99,010 so I WILL find an extra £11 to take us into the £98's :)

I plan to go through all the finances this weekend to see what areas we can save on although in my mind we have done all we can but am sure there is always room for improvement.
  • CathT
    Long time no post! I dread to think what page I was on ;)

Life is very and juggling a full time course with family is proving challenging and the days disappear before my eyes! I am however really enjoying it and definitely feel it was the right move for me and I am sure I will look back on the year as a huge learning curve.

I haven't been overpaying (apart from £7 a month) and am focusing on repaying more urgent things.

I do have a few things I want to do tomorrow
    • File Fensa certificate
    • Get balance on windows
    • Try and buy last Christmas presents using T3sc* double up
  • CathT
    Right, I am back and feeling focused after falling off the wagon a little lately and spending/wasting too much money!

I need to regain the focus and get out of my overdraft!!

Mortgage deal ends next March so I am hoping to fix it this week as provider let you do it 6 months in advance AFAIK.

I think my first step needs to be doing Tilly Tidies - onwards and upwards!
  • Good luck with the Tillytidies Cath!! :)
    Another one who has fallen off the MF wagon a bit with uni and life and such taking over!! Am trying to reign it in a bit before xmas which is probably the worst time of year to try and be frugal!! :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback