British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We can all sympathise with the OP; however, the last thing that we want is third parties entering into the fray. A couple of points. Under the terms of their supply licences, actual transfers of supply can take up to 35 days from application to switch: 17 day switching is an aspiration not a requirement. Gas switches involving an IGT can take longer. I agree that energy suppliers should have a licence obligation to keep customers informed. It is often the case that website information about a particular transfer is rarely updated.

The problem is that industry procedures are out dated. IGT gas transfers are still a manual process for most small suppliers: a much heralded IT system has been delayed a further year ---- and so on.

I am not sure what a third-party could do to add value to the switching process? I suspect that they wouldn't be cheap.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It’s that time of the year again when my Gas and Electricity supply contract has expired and I need to fine the latest ‘best deal’ for me. Finding the deal is relatively easy using the comparison sites. What I have come to dread is the actual switchover. This is supposed to be quick and easy but my experiences are far from it. My last 3 switchovers have taken way, way longer that they should have and I needed to constantly chase the new supplier to get their act together and make it happen. On 3 occasions my application has been automatically cancelled and no one has bothered to tell me. Apparently there is an issue with my meters on some national database that no one seems capable of resolving.

I’m guessing that the issue was partially caused by OVO energy talking me into having (definitely not) smart meters installed. The man who installed them couldn’t tell me how to read them, and neither could OVO’s customer (anything but) services. It took OVO 6 months to send me a bill.

Then came First Utility. At first they automatically cancelled my application and didn’t bother telling me. When I got them to find out why they told me that there was a problem with my Post Code on a national database. Then they couldn’t read my meters and I finally managed to get them to replace the electricity (definitely not) smart meter (they wouldn’t replace my gas meter) with a sensible and readable meter. Before they replaced the Electricity meter it started accumulating all my kWh used as night usage (the only good thing I can say about energy suppliers).
    During my year with First Utility I could not: -
    1. View my Electricity or Gas usage online
    2. Submit the Electricity and Gas meter readings online, or by the automated telephone system
    3. Change my tariff online
    4. Get a bill based on the actual meter readings that I submitted (every time that I asked which day I should submit the reading I was told a different day)
    5. Use the Android App

Extra Energy came next. Well not actually. After they too automatically cancelled my application and didn’t bother telling me; I told them what they could do with their company.

My current torturous and stressful expedition into changing suppliers is with Scottish Power. On: -
    25 April. I signed-up using their website.
    27 April. I phoned to confirm that everything was progressing well. I was told that my application had been automatically cancelled because of a problem on a national database. The customer services agent told me that he’s fixed the issue and I had to spend the next 20 minutes listening to him start my whole application again.
    29 April. I received an email telling me that my transfer to Scottish Power has been cancelled ‘We’re sorry that you’ve changed you mind’. I phoned them and was told to ignore the email and that my transfer was scheduled for completion on 13 May.
    16 May. I phoned asking why I couldn’t access my online account and was told that my electricity transfer had gone through but my gas transfer had failed and that I’d have to re-apply. Yet another 20 minutes listening to the same old garbage.

Xx May (or June or July). Who knows what the next episode of this woeful saga will bring.

My main points of this post are: -

Don’t believe anyone who tells you that switching is quick and easy; and secondly, is there an organisation out there that you can sign-up with and they will take on the painful process of switching for you; and take responsibility for monitoring your supplier the switching you again when a better deal becomes available?

This sounds like a business opportunity to me, but I am too old cope with all the stress.

P.S. Sorry that my post is so long.

In answer to your highlighted question
    No, there is no supplier that will switch you to a competitor because they will be cheaper for you.
    (I'm not sure how you think this would be a business opportunity for any supplier to do)

All suppliers should inform you if there is a cheaper alternative supplied by them ... but you will still need to actively request it.

EDF (on their price promise tariffs) will also notify you if another supplier would be cheaper (but note this is based on average usage, not your own actual usage) but again you need to take responsibility for the switch.

So take responsibility and regularly consult a comparison site to find the best deal your you :)

Or there are alternatives such as the MSE CEC (and EHL offer something similar, perhaps others too) that will alert you should a cheaper deal become available for your own usage ... but you still need to actively switch
    At least you might get some cashback if you do :money:
  • System
    OP This comes with no recommendation and my advice would be to manage the switching process yourself but here goes......

Google:

Flipper Community
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Looking forward to switching back to my old supplier next year.....
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • Has anyone else had problems changing from your existing provider to to the MSE tariff wihich closed at the end of February ? I applied to change my dual fuel tariff towards the end of Feb from Ovo energy to the MSE/British Gas tariff and now 3 months later I am still waiting for the change over. I am stuck in limbo, British Gas said the change over date was 07/03/16, and I pay them a direct debit, but they said there was a problem changing from my previous supplier, who I also have a direct debit payable to because my account is not closed yet. We have smart meters installed and I thought that changing would be easy but instead its a nightmare.:mad::mad:
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 May 2016 at 2:06PM
    Has anyone else had problems changing from your existing provider to to the MSE tariff wihich closed at the end of February ? I applied to change my dual fuel tariff towards the end of Feb from Ovo energy to the MSE/British Gas tariff and now 3 months later I am still waiting for the change over. I am stuck in limbo, British Gas said the change over date was 07/03/16, and I pay them a direct debit, but they said there was a problem changing from my previous supplier, who I also have a direct debit payable to because my account is not closed yet. We have smart meters installed and I thought that changing would be easy but instead its a nightmare.:mad::mad:

Hello. and welcome to MSE :)

What exactly are British Gas saying is the reason for the delay?
    Is it both gas & electricity that has not switched, or did you only attempt to switch one?
    Have you tried calling them on their special number that MSE has posted on this forum previously???
    How about possibly following the suppliers own complaint procedure?

Edit:
    Time of posting: Today, 1:07 PM
    Last Activity: Today 1:07 PM

Do pop back when you have more time to discuss your issues :)
  • Hi Footyguy,

I rang the dedicated number and the guy on the other end off the phone couldnt tell me why the switch hadnt taken place but he said he would forward my case to another department who were dealing with delays in switching. I did enrol for the dual fuel tariff. My previous supplier, Ovo energy state that the fault lies with British Gas.
  • System
    MSE CEC only reacts to information that it receives from the suppliers. Until they confirm that a transfer has taken place then no Cashback. Contact details below:

If you have any queries or concerns, you can email us at energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com. Please include your full name, the email address you joined with and your postcode.
  • Hi psarinuk,

Just to echo what Hengus has said, we're reliant on information from suppliers before cashback can be paid. This is because cashback comes from the supplier paying the switching referral fee and confirming the outcome of your switch.

If you drop us an email, a member of our team can chase this up for you.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I received an email from the Cheap Energy Club today telling me that my gas switchover has been unsuccessful.

I contacted BG who assure me that the switch took place at one property in February and the other in March.

Has the Cheap Energy Club decided to join in this Kafkaesque farce now?
    Or, is it more British Gas madness?
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills