Trying to beat the predicted DFD!

Options

Comments

• sammiejay
    Options
    Felt a bit down yesterday, like I was getting nowhere and would never be free of all this debt. I spent all day reading diaries and looking at challenges, and after a little change here and there I have brought my DFD (except mortgage) forward to 13/04/2022- that's 6 months closer than when j started this thread less than a week ago.
    I also went to @ld! Instead of @sd@ this morning, went armed with a list, got everything on it and not a single extra item, all for £8.77. Usually I would have gone straight to @sda, no list, thrown a few bits extra in the trolley and then paid £80 at the end of it all! My habits are starting to change for the better already :)
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    See - told you, it really works! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Sammiejay Thank you for posting. I think we have quite a few similarities in our circumstances based on your posts. Its good you have most at 0% though. Hope the diary helps. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • sammiejay
    Options
    A week on and I have paid nothing towards my debt. BUT I also haven't increased it either. I have had a very MSE week with food, taken my own breakfast and lunch to work every day and not bought from the canteen. Have been eating from the cupboard and freezer - starting to look a bit bare now, and still 5 more sleeps til pay day.

I have also volunteered for an overtime shift on Boxing Day. Not ideal, but double time and will pay for at least half of my car insurance when it renews in February.

Frustrated that I'm not seeing immediate results :(
  • Huskyrunner
    Options
    Double time is always good
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
  • sammiejay
    Options
    I'd rather not be at work in Boxing Day as I'm also working Christmas Eve...but I couldn't turn down a shift at double time given my financial situation. And at least I'm off on Christmas Day.
    In other news, I have paid an extra tenner to CC1 this morning, it's now under £1000 (by far the lowest balance I have or have had on any of the for a looooong time) and it's brought my DFD forward by another month! Now March 2022 when less than 2 weeks ago it was October 2022 ��
  • sammiejay
    Options
    Another extra payment of £10.00 to CC1 today, and the snowball has updated my DFD to JANUARY 2022! Can't believe how many monhs it's come forward since I got properly focused.
    The debt itself doesn't seem to be coming down very quickly at all, but as long as the DFD keeps inching closer i can live with that.
    Usually by now I would have done all my Christmas shopping and put everything in one of the credit cards to be worried about next year- except I wouldn't clear it and would add to it again he year after and so on and so on...

This year, I can honestly say that I have not used any of my credit cards to pay for Christmas. I still have one or two things to sort out, but have enough in savings to cover them. I am over the moon with myself ������
  • sammiejay
    Options
    Good lord, haven't paired for 11 days and am down on page 6! Must do better. Have been chipping away with little payments here and there to the debt and it now stands at £17640. Still a long way to go, but I am bearing in mind that I haven't been able to make many overpayments as had a lot of extra expenses with Christmas round the corner.
    I am still frustrated that it's not coming down as quick as I would like it to. And I will find things very tight until I get paid next week. Thankfully we are being paid a week early this month, however I will have to be super frugal in January to make up for the extra week.
    Still haven't used the credit cards though and for me especially at this time of year that in itself is a huge win :o
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    It's a tough time of year to start out tackling the situation, to be honest. However, your real triumph you hid right at the end of that post - WELL DONE for not dipping into the credit cards!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • sammiejay
    Options
    Thanks Essex,
    I knew it was a silly time to start, but I've always had an excuse to put it off. I'll wait for Christmas to be out of the way, I'll start after my sons birthday, I'll see what the lay of the land is when I get paid, it's this birthday or that night out or a day with a y in it...
    I've put it off for too long and I'm ready to deal with it now, however hard it may be, it will only get worse if I don't keep motivated :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure