Unable to post your message. Please try again (and get your IP address banned)

Options
grumbler
grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 20 April 2017 at 8:42AM in Site feedback
Quick Reply
The following errors occurred with your submission
1. Unable to post your message. Please try again.

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

I just like this Microsoft-style message, absolutely uninformative and, hence, pointless

What I tried to post was:
http://www.barclays.co.uk/Otheraccounts/Currencyaccounts/ForeignCurrencyAccount/P1242557963858
Cheques in all currencies – collection
• £100 and above equivalent – 0.25% of cheque’s value. Min £16 max £40
Cheques in all currencies – negotiation dependent on foreign bank
• £100 and above equivalent – 0.25% of cheque’s value. Min £9, max
£60 (plus correspondents’ charge £6 which applies only when
currency differs from that of the country where the cheque is drawn)
Then again:

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 16 seconds.

If you were "Unable to post", why do I have to wait for 30 seconds?

ETA: I was able to post after clicking "Go Advanced"

ETA2: even worse, as a result of this polite "Please try again" my IP address got banned by "the administrator". I reported this using the suggested online form and deliberately decided not to change the address to see whether any action will be taken to rectify this.

Comments

• grumbler
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    ... decided not to change the address to see whether any action will be taken to rectify this.
    :sad: 27 hours and counting... No action.
    :think: What if I were on a static IP and without access to a VPN?
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Time for a new bank?
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • grumbler
    edited 21 April 2017 at 9:38AM
    Options
    what bank?
    The quoted was my reply to some question on the Bank Accounts Board. Barclays is one of very few banks offering onshore currency accounts.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Ah, I see, it was MSE being as helpful as it can be...... Sorry, misunderstood and thought you were trying to communicate with Barclays. I have found that messages sent online to banks can go unanswered for WEEKS, even when they are apparently successfully transmitted.

(And now noticed that the post is in 'site feedback'. Hmm. One might hope that MSE staff read this thread......)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi grumbler

Do you only get the problem when you try to post that same message?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • grumbler
    edited 21 April 2017 at 2:41PM
    Options
    Well, after you asked I tried to make a new identical post in the same thread (Quick Reply) http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5636168

And yes, I get the same problem.

This time I am wiser and ignore your "Please try again". I don't want the VPN IP address blocked too.

And yes, I posted many other messages later, including in that thread - without any problems.

ETA: looking at your new thread, it's worth saying that first time I did quote the text directly from Barclays' online pdf document. However, today I copied&pasted the content from my old post here.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thanks grumbler, I suggest not copying and pasting from PDF and see what happens :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • grumbler
    edited 24 April 2017 at 5:01PM
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Thanks grumbler, I suggest not copying and pasting from PDF and see what happens :)
    As I said
    ..., after you asked I tried to make a new identical post in the same thread (Quick Reply) http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5636168

And yes, I get the same problem.

... I copied&pasted the content from my old post here [in that thread].
    I thought it was clear
  • grumbler
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    :sad: 27 hours and counting... No action.
    :think: What if I were on a static IP and without access to a VPN?
    Five days and counting...

The 'administrator' can't care less or simply ignores the reports that we are asked to submit and are wasting our time on.

I give up and am changing the IP address. Let's hope some unlucky MSE member doesn't accidentally get my old blocked one in the future.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I had the same problem, it involved copy and paste from a PDF file.

Apparently the system thinks your a spammer and automatically blocks your IP address.

I did get a responce from the IT team, they are unable to rectify the problem, you have to change your IP address, I'm not that technically minded so googled my router settings, and (eventually) managed to change it, so unblocking my account.

Just be careful what you try to copy an paste to avoid it happening again.

In there defence, this is a Hugh site, and the admins are part time volunteers, as am I, so can't respond to every email.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure