When does Lloyds send new debit cards these days?

My debit card expires this month and haven't received the new one yet, should I call them or wait another week?

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    If it expires 04/17 then you should receive it any day now. Allowing for the B/H though, I would ring them if you haven't received it by the end of next week.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Jo_Blogs
    Jo_Blogs Posts: 753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    hoc wrote: »
    My debit card expires this month and haven't received the new one yet, should I call them or wait another week?

Lloyds usually send out a new debit card before the old one expires. My card expired 04/17 and got the new one a week before expiry. If you don't get a new card before you old one expires, I would suggest that you give them a call.
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44:starmod: for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 ;)Sept NSDs 4/15:staradminCCCChl 9/12 months:D
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Jo_Blogs wrote: »
    Lloyds usually send out a new debit card before the old one expires
    You gotta love banks who offer such a high level of service.

Exceptional!
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Jo_Blogs wrote: »
    Lloyds usually send out a new debit card before the old one expires. My card expired 04/17 and got the new one a week before expiry. If you don't get a new card before you old one expires, I would suggest that you give them a call.

Are you sure? This means it arrived next week :rotfl:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Lloyds used to send out the new debit card quite a long time before the old one expired eg a month or thereabouts. When mine didn't arrive recently I called them and they said they had changed so the new one is now sent out about a week before expiry.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    mt99 wrote: »
    Lloyds used to send out the new debit card quite a long time before the old one expired eg a month or thereabouts. When mine didn't arrive recently I called them and they said they had changed so the new one is now sent out about a week before expiry.

I can understand not wanting to send them too early but if you go away from home for a fortnight you could have a card expire while away and the replacement not arrive before you go.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My card arrived today. It has validity beginning 03/17. Unlike in previous years and confirming above replies I can only presume Lloyds sits on the card and only sends it out with 2 weeks remaining.

I do not understand why they would do this, it provides no benefit. Specifically to correct the last reply, the existing (old) card can be used up to the last day of the expiration month. A new card has no impact, in my case my new card was valid since last month and despite receiving today I could continue using my old card until the 30th of this month. So, in fact, receiving the new card as early as possible is safest. The only scenario a "new" card invalidates an existing card is in the case of lost/stolen/etc. card.
  • I believe the reason they stopped sending early is due to theft of cards in the post.

If the card was sent a month in advance, there is the possibility that it could be in circulation for a while before the account holder queried why they did not have a replacement. The replacement debit card is contactless and can be used by anybody effectively.

With a couple of weeks the risk is much smaller, as the lack of replacement card will be queried much quicker.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,162 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The replacement debit card is contactless and can be used by anybody effectively.

The first time you use the contactless card you have to enter your PIN, at least with Lloyds (would imagine they're all the same).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure