The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh, that looks SUPER tasty greying! :j :j :j So impressed :D :j Must try french onion soup myself one day :D In fact, we have 'broth and dumplings' on our meal plan and I reckon this type of thing would just about qualify - we do have lots of spuds at the minute, after all... ;):D
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Stick blenders are fab.
    Mine was a cheapie.
    Great for soup :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Instead of wipes you can use rags made of old worn t-shirts or sheets/pillowcases and plain water. Works for most baby-related cleaning up. Not as good as babywipes on removing other household stains (they're particularly good for felt tip pen and paint...). And they're washable.

As for bathing slippery babies... washing up bowl :)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Well, there are some kind folk about and no mistake :D

EH you were entirely right to prompt me to return those unopened vitamins to w1lks, as they allowed me to swap them no bother. I now have 'junior racing snake' vitamins in the house - watch me whizz around now! :rotfl:

DH also changed the wipes at mrL. We've not used the new ones yet, so I can't comment on whether it is just the package that has changed....

I remembered I forgot........ ;)....... I have set myself the target of losing 3lb in weight over the next 12 weeks, as part of my 'reboot' challenge to myself. So, i need to say what the starting point is - and I'd forgotten to mention it. So the starting point is 7 and a half.

7 and a half pounds is actually what I would need to shift to return to my pre-pregnancy weight and bmi, so I think that aiming to lose 3lb of that is an achievable target in 12 weeks - no crash-dieting needed!

And no, I ain't gonna bore you with what number is in front of the 7 and a half :rotfl: Just know that it is the weight i was, and had been for 20 yrs plus - if my medical records are accurate :D

Arrrgh, we've so much to do this weekend. Poor timing of things, but there you go. I wish human beings hibernated. I think I would elect for the whole of January...... :rotfl:

Tea last night was HM mozarella pizza (barginacious mozza from h3ron f00ds used) and sort of wedges. I just cut some of the king edward tatties that I got from mrL in their 19p promo in half. Used the last of the seasoned cornmeal on them - overdid it and they were a bit pants :( Still, done now, and eaten, so......

Mushroom curry tonight :j Probably Madhur Jaffrey's Kodava curry, but we'll see how the day pans out. The curry should be mushroom anyway, as I've 2 mrL 49p punnets to utilise :D

Right, coffee is drunk, Baby Greying is wriggling so I best get up and at it.

First to reply to a very kind offer, but one which I cannot in all conciousness accept........:o

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    018_zps7sid26ny.jpg

Saw an advert on F00d N3twrk last night that was taking the persistently out of people that upload pics of their nosh online. Am I coming across as pretentious? I just see it as a record of my attempts to eat nice things on a reasonably tight budget.................

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    GP - we pilgrimers love your pics and descriptions so keep doing what you are doing! Your audience loves you!

As for so called f00d netw0rk - imho they are pretentious and have shows to standards that us simple folk could not afford let along aspire to! - RT xox
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Also, were foodnetwork talking about real, everyday meals that even I might attempt?

Where do you get your cornmeal? Which supermarket category does it fall into?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

Where do you get your cornmeal? Which supermarket category does it fall into?

Ah, now I buy the Natc0 brand 1.5kg bags of cornmeal from the asian supermarket in the medium sized city along. However, in the same city, MrW sell it in their 'world foods' section. Normally, it is sold in smaller packets - usually as 'instant' polenta, usually in the pasta section or mrT sells it in their carribean section as cornmeal - off the top of my head...... the brand is 'red river' in that section, I think....... If you can source an asian supermarket, they will have loads of it, branded as cornmeal - which is always significantly cheaper than when it is branded 'polenta'.

I've just looked online and mrS is showing as having it too - HERE - but I don't know if that would every store. I don't know our mrS well enough to know if they stock it. I stock up when I am in the city, as i was able to pick it up for less than £1 (expect prices have risen now :() I also have the luxury of being able to get fine or coarse cornmeal, which you can use for different dishes.

I can't remember what the FN advert was for, I just remember seeing a woman on a step ladder taking a pic of food with a phone, and something about 'social climbing' or something.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think your pics on MSE on a thread that give you a record of your cooking and budgeting skills is quite the same as instagramming everything that goes on your plate (whether you cooked it or it was in a restaurant).

However, if you fancy a bit of social climbing, get yourself an instagram account and start posting arty pics of fashionable food with witty captions. And consider this as a practice run ;)
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DO you stand on a stepladder to take your pics of your dinner? If so, then get over yourself (without falling off the stepladder - now THERE would be a feat!) but somehow I don't think you do....so no lovely, you do NOT come across as pretentious in the SLIGHTEST! :D

There are indeed instagram accounts which pretty much entirely consist of people quietly showing off their terribly posh meals, and the latest uber-hip restaurant they've been to (Which some may say is more interesting than mine - which mostly shows Little Red Jets and their related brethren!) :rotfl:

Oh and Greenbee is right about the washing up bowl - I've heard SO many mums swear by such a use for them!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business