Pulling my hair out over quicken

Hi all,
I have been using quicken for years, in 2000 they sent me a new version labelled ''year 2000 solution based on quicken 98 deluxe'' and i have been using this since then.
I recently got a new computer and loaded this onto it but cannot for the life of me get it registered. I thought maybe its time to move on and tried Microsoft Money but cannot get on with it at all.
I really need to get Quicken back and wonder if anyone can help get my version registered or point me to a newer version (UK) which will retain my files .
Any help much appreciated.:confused:

Mike

Comments

• PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just had a quick search for Quicken and it looks like it has been discontinued:-

http://www.quicken.co.uk/

However, another site suggested the following:-

Registration for Quicken 2003, 2002, 2001 or 2000 is no longer available.
    If you are receiving a prompt to register Quicken you can turn off the prompt.
    1. Press and hold the Ctrl+Shift keys on the left side of your keyboard while you select the Online menu and select One Step Update.
    2. When the message "You will no longer be prompted for registration" appears, click OK.
    From the following site:-
    https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicken.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1723&p_created=1129160952&p_sid=8x5JIaLi

HTH
    “That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • Thanks for that, I will try it tomorrow.:beer:
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Earliest version that I've found that's still supported is Quickbooks 2004.

I went of Quicken in the end and knocked up my own spreadsheet instead. Seems to work fine for what I need. There's a few freeware alternatives out there but many I've come across are US-centric.
  • Redmikee
    Redmikee Posts: 179 Forumite
    Didn't work I'm afraid:confused: seems to apply to 2000 onwards, thanks anyway.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intuit-Quicken-2002-Standard/dp/B00005YYDB/ref=sr_1_15/202-3421063-7143027?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1189342012&sr=8-15

:eek:
    This seems to be a measure of the frustration that us quicken users are experiencing.. time to dig out all those old copies of quicken.

Mike
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    Hi Mike

Digging further into the on-line pages for Quicken, try the following:-

Registering Quicken 98 and 99
    Intuit does not provide support or online services for Quicken 98 and 99. However, Intuit is aware that some people want to use the Quicken 98 and 99 versions and will need to register the program to continue its use. Our online registration tool will register the program for you.
    The 6 digit code you will need to register can be found in Quicken.
    1. Select Help menu > Register Quicken.
    2. Select the register by phone option. The 6 digit code will be displayed.
    Online Registration Tool

( I do like the statement "Intuit does not provide.. online services..." and then goes on to state "Our online registration tool..." - lol )

PXH
    “That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • Thanks Phoodless,
    I had already tried that but my quicken hasn a 10 digit serial number not 6.
    Anyway for anyone with similar problems i have downloaded quicken home and business 2008 and imported all my transactions into it no problem.
    All my money is now showing in Dollars but i reckon I will be able to sort that out.
    Thanks all who replied for your help.

Mike
  • GrS
    GrS Posts: 5 Forumite
    Partly on-topic:
    I still happily use genuine i.e. paid for Q2002deluxe
    I no longer have registration code
    Can I reinstall this if crash or PC upgrade?

AND - (what I really need to know now)
    Has anything happened to S&P Comstock data feed in last few days as my share prices from there seem seriously adrift of BBC business website or next day's paper?

Help/advice appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport