AA zero transfer fee card is a con from the AA

Options
13»

Comments

• GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    What's the latest on this? Are the hollow-heads STILL requiring applicants to present certified documents, or have they realised how stupid such a request is?
  • nellycouture
    Options
    I was really surprised that MSE didn't flag up the costs (and time & hassle)involved in applying for this AA card, Having already had the credit search flagged up on my credit history, Having no accountant or solicitor, I went to my doctors to verify my documents - they were too busy, then my bank - they won't do it for other credit card companies, then queued up at the post office for 30 mins & paid £8.50 for the privilege (which isn't even mentioned as a possibility on the AA application & I only found out after phoning AA to tell them I couldn't get verification from any of the 4 sources they mentioned) . Now 3 weeks later, I have heard nothing back and meanwhile 2 months of paying interest on my existing balances have passed since I first applied. Terrible service on the part of AA and a really surprising recommendation from MSE. I really wished I had gone with a more familiar brand such as Tesco, even if the terms were not so appealing. I wanted to warn other people of applying for an AA card - really not worth the risk!
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 January 2016 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Dear Nelly

Having experience it myself. I feel what you are feeling.
    The same with you I also already got mark in my credit search from AA. It is hard to believe that they managed to search online but could not do electronic verification. They are staffed by a bunch of incompetent people.

At least this thread will warn people before they decide to apply.

I applied for Tesco Balance transfer credit Card and I got approved in about 8 minutes. The electronic verification process itself just took less than one minutes. So it is good to try. I got approval with limit of £7900 with Tesco

I was really surprised that MSE didn't flag up the costs (and time & hassle)involved in applying for this AA card, Having already had the credit search flagged up on my credit history, Having no accountant or solicitor, I went to my doctors to verify my documents - they were too busy, then my bank - they won't do it for other credit card companies, then queued up at the post office for 30 mins & paid £8.50 for the privilege (which isn't even mentioned as a possibility on the AA application & I only found out after phoning AA to tell them I couldn't get verification from any of the 4 sources they mentioned) . Now 3 weeks later, I have heard nothing back and meanwhile 2 months of paying interest on my existing balances have passed since I first applied. Terrible service on the part of AA and a really surprising recommendation from MSE. I really wished I had gone with a more familiar brand such as Tesco, even if the terms were not so appealing. I wanted to warn other people of applying for an AA card - really not worth the risk!
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    Options
    another example of thier incompetence come recently:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70474027#post70474027
  • ChrisJ1988
    ChrisJ1988 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I applied for the AA credit card just over a week ago, it turned up in the post today, on the same day as the pin. I didnt get any confirmation e-mail or anything to tell me my credit limit. The credit limit I got is £3900 which is written in tiny writing under the card. I am still waiting for an activation code in another letter that will come to allow me to do a balance transfer.
  • Kendall80
    Kendall80 Posts: 965 Forumite
    Options
    People with positive experiences are usually less inclined to post than someone with a complaint to make.

For balance - I've taken out the no fee, 0% balance transfer card with the AA and had none of the issues mentioned. I transferred a balance of 7000 on sign-up. My only small criticism is the lack of an online banking facility (although they do have a smartphone 'app-based' option).
  • alanjrobertson
    alanjrobertson Posts: 167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2016 at 11:25PM
    Options
    Wish I'd read this thread before applying! They've actually got even worse in their ID requirements and doctors are no longer on the list. My local bank wouldn't do it and I'm not willing to pay for the PO service. I think it's particularly annoying that they don't provide a decision before asking for all this.

I've emailed AA to lodge my frustration but will just apply for a card elsewhere.

Edit - applied elsewhere - instant approval, decent credit limit and £20 cashback from Quidco, result!
  • Alexsas
    Alexsas Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can only echo what others have said: ridiculous paperwork requirements from the stone age!
    moreover, they chose not to 'like' my original documents saying they were photocopies... saga continues, only because they keep you captive of the hard credit search (the one that is more than enough for any other sane financial institution!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure