Npower - switich to a cheaper tariff with them.

Options
alewin
alewin Posts: 177 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I switched to Npower for gas in early April, the tariff was the Online Price Fix April 2018.
Just noticed they have a new tariff that is price fixed until July 2018 and the unit rate is slightly cheaper.

Anyone know if it is possible to simply switch to the new and cheaper tariff and what about the £30 exit fee?

Used to be with EDF for gas and electric for a long time and they were brilliant, the tariffs used to be near the cheaper end of the market and I could switch to another cheaper tariff when it was available straight away online. Sadly this year there prices have really gone up quite a lot.

Might have to call Npower in the morning.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Npower charge exit fees even when you switch to one of their other tariffs. ( except when in the last forty nine days of the fix)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    Npower charge exit fees even when you switch to one of their other tariffs. ( except when in the last forty nine days of the fix)

They didn't two years ago (I changed individual gas and electric about 4 times), but last year changed back to the internal transfer charge.

It is definitely current, though it says 'may' in the T&Cs, as when I took up a new fix, the cs person said that there was no internal charge; just one for leaving the company .

I was almost certain that he was wrong, despite his insistence , so I contacted Executive Complaints and was told that they had listened to the call recording, the man was incorrect and that they would be pointing this out to staff . (Paid me £10 as a thank you for pointing out the error).

OP ,you can change but the tiny difference in price is less than it would cost in leaving fees.
  • Snowedunder
    Snowedunder Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    I want out of my switch to NPower, quoted £74 per month, after I provided all details. within 2 weeks of first payment they have increased my DD to £112 per month ! a con or what, let them try and get me to pay for opting out
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 June 2017 at 10:16AM
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »

No they don't - they've never charged me for changing to another of their tariffs early.

I've just done the same as the OP as my latest bill said I could save some money by switching the gas, so it's a no-brainer. Got this in writing ("no exit fee") via live chat when I made the switch just to be on the safe side.

Interesting info though Teddysmum as I'll now be checking my next bill in case they have charged me the £30!

They do appear to have stopped paying cashback if you do the switch using a 3rd party however. For years I've used Uswitch etc to get cashback but it was rejected earlier this year when I did my previous switch.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @techno12
    I've recently switched to npower but all the documentation makes it very clear that switching between tariffs would trigger the early exit fees EXCEPT when inside the last 49 days. I wrote it as npower really drummed that point in during the signup and switching process.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    They didn't two years ago (I changed individual gas and electric about 4 times), but last year changed back to the internal transfer charge.

2 years ago, NPower generally didn't have exit fees :cool:
    And I changed a lot too.

Now the situation is rather unclear and very much depends who you speak to, and I guess who processes it!
  • alewin
    alewin Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just posting an update to my original question.

Received my first bill from Npower beginning of last week and it stated on their as well that they have a cheaper tariff available. So I phoned them up and was assured that there no was exit free when switching tariff's within Npower, the free only applied when switching away from Npower.

So now I'm on the slightly cheaper Online Price Fix July 2018 tariff.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @alewin

Well they have changed their minds again about exit fees for a tariff switch. From Twitter npowerhelp today
    npower help‏Verified account @npowerhelp 5m5 minutes ago
    More
    Hi, yes, there is an exit fee for the tariff Online Price Fix July 2018 if changing tariff or supplier prior to 12 June 2018. ^Phil
    https://twitter.com/npowerhelp/status/889852387736903684
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport